Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
Tom,

I for one, do appreciate your comments here and elsewhere.

CORRECT terminology is always truthful!

And, yes you can do bold text here using the big B on the top left.

Charles
Aircraft engines do NOT utilize core plugs....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
If anybody is interested in what Permatex has to say.......should they choose to answer my question........feel free to PM me for their results....(perhaps they ALSO don't know what frost plugs are )
You started this thread. If you've got useful information, post it for everyone to see.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Don't believe I have ever seen a Pontiac Engine in a Aircraft?????
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never installed a frost plug But I have installed many core plugs usually use thin layer of permatex #2 but often thought that thin red sticky product would work like a champ.

There isn't any one single product that works while all others don't and you can install them naked if everything is smooth

Just don't think I would use silicone it's going to get pushed into a bead and can dislodge and travel to the radiator

Pretty much a no brainer to start with

Old 08-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Tom V.
So why are you talking about aircraft then?

Quote:
To think otherwise is because no one has ever explained to you how a Pontiac Engine Block or any Automotive/Aircraft/ Marine is created.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
HH62 started the conversation. Don't be lazy and just read the last post.

Tom V.

To be fair, Formulas, Wikipedia does call them Freeze Plugs and Frost Plugs so it must be right, lol.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From Wikepedia:

"Sand cores are used to form the internal cavities when the engine block or cylinder head(s) is cast. These cavities are usually the coolant passages. Holes are designed into the casting to support internal sand forms, and to facilitate the removal of the sand after the casting has cooled. Core plugs are usually thin metal cups press fitted into the casting holes, but may be made of rubber or other materials. In some high-performance engines the core plugs are large diameter cast metal threaded pipe plugs.[2]

Core plugs can often be a source of leaks due to corrosion caused by cooling system water.[3] Although modern antifreeze chemicals do not evaporate and may be considered "permanent", anti-corrosion additives gradually deplete and must be replenished. Failure to do this periodic maintenance accelerates corrosion of engine parts, and the thin metal core plugs are often the first components to start leaking.

Difficulty or ease of core plug replacement depends upon physical accessibility in a crowded engine compartment. In many cases the plug area will be difficult to reach, and using a mallet to perform maintenance or replacement will be nearly impossible without special facilities for partial or complete removal of the engine. Specialized copper or rubber replacement plugs are available which can be expanded by using a wrench when access is a problem, though engine removal may still be required in some cases.

The term freeze plug is slang, the correct name of the press-in plugs is core plug. It is mistakenly thought that the purpose of these plugs is to be pushed out and save the block from cracking if the engine has water in it and it happens to freeze. This is nothing more than an urban legend.[citation needed]

The purpose of the plugs is to fill the holes that were made during the casting process, so the foundry could remove the core sand from the coolant passages. Saving the block from cracking in case of a freeze was never the manufacturer's intent for these plugs."

And a thank you to "TedRamAirIII" for posting the origin of the term "Welch Plug". I was unaware of the origin. Interesting story on Wiki.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't be lazy and just read the last post.
I read it. You wanted to talk about Aircraft, you were corrected, and then you tried to dismiss him because suddenly 'this is about Pontiacs'.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:02 PM
Senior Chief

You guys forgot to add that just because the water in the cooling system froze it doesn't necessarily mean it will expand and crack the block. It's all temperature related ice expands at 14* Fahrenheit and lower. The ice becomes less dense as it gets colder than 14*. It also gets less dense at 37* Fahrenheit (water)

Old 08-29-2019, 09:07 PM
Senior Chief

Carbking, we were told at trade school 25 yrs ago to take a multimeter and put it on volts and place the pos terminal in the coolant and ground the negative terminal to the engine block. If it reads more than .5/volt it is time to replace it as it's corroding the engine. Ed

Old 08-29-2019, 09:18 PM
Senior Chief

Just went on Wikipedia and man is that ever crap being spewed by that org. on water densities. Says it all changed in May 2018 yada yada. Must have some climate fairies writing for them now. Ed

Old 08-29-2019, 09:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use green loc tite on the Welch plugs that I install.The green is for bushings and large diameter things,Like welch plugs.etc.

Hmmm, Am i an old fart too?

Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Tom V.
But, you DID refer to aircraft engines as having them. You might want to refer your previous posts....#20 for instance. No liquid or air cooled aircraft engine utilizes core plugs. This would include Merlins, Griffons, Allisons, DB601/605, Argus, P & W, Wright, Hispano-Suiza, BMW, Junkers, etc....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-29-2019, 10:45 PM
Boost Engineer

I was referring to engines like Ryan Falconer's aircraft engine.

https://falconerengines.com/index.php

So again you are wrong, just shooting from the hip vs knowing about the engines specifically.

https://falconerengines.com/falconer_v12.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHTTBi4vjwQ
Nice video by the way and you can clearly see the V-12 Engine with core plugs in AN AIRCRAFT. Oh my gosh HH62 was wrong again.

In picture gallerys and below, you can clearly see the engine has core plugs.

I have a set of racing Connecting rods for that engine.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	falconer_v12.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	518962  

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 08-29-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Another picture

I see core plugs on that engine used in Racing Aircraft, HH62.

How about an apology.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine on stand.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	518964  

Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TV, NONE of these are FAA certified aircraft engines. ALL are automotive engines adapted to EXPERIMENTAL aircraft use. Try again.....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 AM
Boost Engineer

So now the Engines have to be FAA certified? LOL

Funny that the engines you posted earlier:
Merlins, Griffons, Allisons, DB601/605, Argus, P & W, Wright, Hispano-Suiza, BMW, Junkers were not FAA certified either. Keep trying, Otis, you are just talking out of your aze and everyone knows it. You keep trying to spin the AIRCRAFT do not have core plugs post to fit your statement.

Facts will always beat BS.

Tom V.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TV, there are three classes into which aircraft are classified by the FAA: Normal, Restricted and Experimental. The Falconer V-12 is only LEGAL in the experimental class as it does NOT have the redundant accessories(dual mags, dual spark plugs, etc) required to make it LEGAL in the Normal or Restricted classes. Calling it an "aircraft engine" is no more valid than calling a Corvair flat six or an LS3 "aircraft engines" simply because they can be adapted to EXPERIMENTAL aircraft use. NONE are LEGAL outside the experimental class. I hope this explanation of the FAA regulations on powerplants enlightens you.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-30-2019, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So now the Engines have to be FAA certified? LOL

Funny that the engines you posted earlier:
Merlins, Griffons, Allisons, DB601/605, Argus, P & W, Wright, Hispano-Suiza, BMW, Junkers were not FAA certified either. Keep trying, Otis, you are just talking out of your aze and everyone knows it. You keep trying to spin the AIRCRAFT do not have core plugs post to fit your statement.

Facts will always beat BS.

Tom V.
Just can't stand to be PROVEN wrong, can you? ALL of the engines I listed are FAA approved for use in the Normal and Restricted classes of aircraft. Maybe YOU should ATTEMPT to research a topic BEFORE opening your ignorant sewer? You might to take a look at the rules concerning bringing CH disputes into the general forums. I would hate to see you get a "vacation" due to IGNORANCE....

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 08-30-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Closed Thread