Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-04-2020, 09:41 AM

Default One noisy lifter on startup and sometimes restart........

Hi All:

Have any of you guys experienced 1 noisy lifter on startup?

I have about 1000 miles on a fresh build. If it matters, the cam is a mild Lunati and the lifters were supplied in their kit. The engine is basically a stock Pontiac 400 in my '78 TA.

Sometimes in the morning when I first start it up - one lifter ticks for some time - sometimes it's 10 seconds - yesterday it was for about the first 2 minutes of driving the car.

This also happens sometimes when I run errands and leave the car sitting in the parking lot for 10 or 15 minutes. On restart I sometimes get a tick for 3-5 seconds.

I'm running Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 and I get 20 lbs. of oil pressure per 1000 RPM when the engine is warm until I hit the pump relief at about 58 lbs.

On cold start oil pressure is an immediate 50 lbs.

The ticking always goes away - but it's a bit annoying. Is this just "the way it is"?

Thanks,
Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to cyber104 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Senior Chief

Just a thought. Are you sure the tick is coming from a lifter? Could it be an exhaust manifold gasket leaking which can have a tick type sound that lasts only a few seconds?

The Following User Says Thank You to 1969GiPper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 10:14 AM

I hadn't really considered that but it's certainly easy enough to see if the bolts are tight.

I would think that would only apply when the engine is cold - but I get this "tick" even on hot restart after the car sits for 15-20 minutes - so I assumed it was a lifter leaking down.

Thanks,
Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to cyber104 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2020, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does the motor have its stock Exh Manifolds?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-04-2020, 10:57 AM

New Ram Air Restorations manifolds.......

Old 02-04-2020, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, so no possibility of a leaky heat riser then.
Pull the oil filler cap off and the tube to the air filter from the valve covers , then get a lenght of 3/4" heater hose and listen into each valve cover while someone else restarts the motor and you will for sure hear if it's coming internally from a rocker, or a Exh leak.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 PM
Senior Chief

Try a 5 w-40 oil and see how the lifters react.The 5w oil will flow the best when cold and if it’s a hydraulic lifter leak down issue it should stop ticking almost instantly.If it works move up to a 10 w-40 if you feel more comfortable with that weight of oil.

The Following User Says Thank You to ta-kid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber104 View Post
Hi All:

Have any of you guys experienced 1 noisy lifter on startup?

I have about 1000 miles on a fresh build. If it matters, the cam is a mild Lunati and the lifters were supplied in their kit. The engine is basically a stock Pontiac 400 in my '78 TA.

Sometimes in the morning when I first start it up - one lifter ticks for some time - sometimes it's 10 seconds - yesterday it was for about the first 2 minutes of driving the car.

This also happens sometimes when I run errands and leave the car sitting in the parking lot for 10 or 15 minutes. On restart I sometimes get a tick for 3-5 seconds.

I'm running Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 and I get 20 lbs. of oil pressure per 1000 RPM when the engine is warm until I hit the pump relief at about 58 lbs.

On cold start oil pressure is an immediate 50 lbs.

The ticking always goes away - but it's a bit annoying. Is this just "the way it is"?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris,
Rotella T no longer has enough zinc in it so you have to put an additive like Lucas Engine Break-in additive always.

If your running without additive now your doing damage.

I have encountered the same as well and some can be quieted down with a lash adjustment and some noise can be attributed to the brand or type rocker arms being used.

As long as they pump up and noise goes away after some operation I would not chase it too far.
Jeff

Old 02-08-2020, 09:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default oil viscosity

I had the some lifter noise at startup with heavier oils in the colder months. Since switching to VR1 10W30 noise has stopped! Viscosity at startup is a player. Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
The Following User Says Thank You to 68 Firebird For This Useful Post: