Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even the impressive TH400 cases had porosity cited "in the books" since the year they came out.

"Check case for evidence of porosity". about as uncommon as re-building Planetaries.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
Block is only sold in American dollars smart ass ..lol IA2 is junk IMO
Can you expound on that last statement... you are entitled to your opinion, just curious what it's based on?

Old 03-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Can you expound on that last statement... you are entitled to your opinion, just curious what it's based on?
I have seen more failures of IA2 blocks ( complete failures) not just leaks that can be fixed .. I been down this road on this board before I am not a KRE fan or a Bob& Frank nut swinger like a lot of guys on this board. Do a search of how many IA2 blocks failed ( oh the owner will say it was my fault) bull**** just other nut swinger. I am not the best tuner I have blown my MR1 twice drop valves etc.. Block is just fine .. So FOR ME I would not buy a IA2 ever.. You and others are free to spend your money anyway you like .. I will not say anymore

Old 03-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why is a IA2 junk? Please explain

Old 03-01-2020, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My experience with both brands of blocks suggests they both have problems and you need to work with the mfg directly. I have used both Bars & Moroso Ceramic sealer to fix some leaks with excellent results. We currently run 5 different block/head combos so I'm speaking from experience. Like John said this race stuff isn't perfect and I can't afford perfect.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I have seen more failures of IA2 blocks ( complete failures) not just leaks that can be fixed .. I been down this road on this board before I am not a KRE fan or a Bob& Frank nut swinger like a lot of guys on this board. Do a search of how many IA2 blocks failed ( oh the owner will say it was my fault) bull**** just other nut swinger. I am not the best tuner I have blown my MR1 twice drop valves etc.. Block is just fine .. So FOR ME I would not buy a IA2 ever.. You and others are free to spend your money anyway you like .. I will not say anymore
So how many blocks have you seen with catastrophic failures? And, what were the failures?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
So how many blocks have you seen with catastrophic failures? And, what were the failures?
Do your own search I am done buy what ever YOU like..

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...4207&p=6065319

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=766656

Last edited by Mark G; 03-01-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yep that was totally the blocks fault

Old 03-02-2020, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

here is a thought -- how about the damn manufacture do a good pressure test on the block BEFORE its sent out -- a little QC would go a long way to save your customer and your reputation. Bottom line is -- If they cant do it right -- maybe they shouldn't be doing it at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cgeise For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 04:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Question?
When kre builds a customer a turnkey engine, and find out there is porosity in the block on the dyno, do they call the customer and tell him he has to buy a new block because A) they (kre) modified the block by doing basic build prep. And B) because he purchased it over 10 days ago when he sent his deposit?

Old 03-02-2020, 05:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the issue then (15+ years ago) or now is so much about problems with either block.

The issue is (and always has been) whether or not the respective manufacturers of each have stood behind their product when there was an issue.

If you did your research, Mark...like you suggest the rest of us do...I think you'll find tons of anecdotal evidence of who is firmly standing behind their product, and who isn't.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a hack; but;
That Bars leaks stuff is like mud.
I have fixed a SINFUL amount of cracked blocks and heads with this stuff: K&W Metallic Block Seal.
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-401016-Me...72848705&psc=1

It's not like mud and works like magic.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I glanced through those two links, and must've missed your posts that showed the problems you have experienced...

Old 03-02-2020, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All I'm going to say is engine blocks "break for a reason"... and the "leak for a reason".

Old 03-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by F ROCK View Post
I'm a hack; but;
That Bars leaks stuff is like mud.
I have fixed a SINFUL amount of cracked blocks and heads with this stuff: K&W Metallic Block Seal.
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-401016-Me...72848705&psc=1

It's not like mud and works like magic.

And by the same token I'm sure that I've used Bars Leak to repair a slew of cracked heads, blown headgaskets, even external gasket leaks with it.

I'm not saying K&W is bad, or doesn't work. I do know from years of using Bars Leak that it does work and GM recommends it, and uses the pellets in most of their new cars, plus they sell it in their parts network.

My own 6.5 dually diesel has had it in the cooling system for the last 2 1/2 years, no ill effects whatsoever. The external leak sealed in probably 15 minutes and is dry to this day. The thermostat gasket was leaking and I stopped and grabbed a bottle because I was going to a location about 50 miles away for a meeting, and didn't have time to replace the gasket.

These products are fundamentally different in how they work, but to condemn one over the other because you don't like the way it pours out of the container has zero to do with how efficiently it does the intended job.

If I remember correctly, K&W will not work with antifreeze, necessitating flushing the cooling system before a repair, and has to cure 24 hours before refilling the system. Not everyone has the luxury of taking that much time away from the vehicles operation.

If you go on Amazon (your link) and read the 1 star reviews, there are plenty of people that the K&W did not work for. A few of the reviews said it was solidified in the can. FWIW, not one of the stop leak products Amazon sells has a 5 star rating, and they all have reviews where the products didn't work at all. It isn't a foolproof science, your chances it will work are probably 75% in favor of it working, at least worth a try over a mechanical repair.

The one customer said he's in a battle with CRC (parent company for K&W) trying to get his money back from the implied "money back guarantee" on the can. Evidently he didn't get the can with the magic in it.

Not sure how many people know this, but if you pour regular table pepper in a cooling system it will seal a leak. I had a Fiero with a leaking heater core that I just grabbed a pepper shaker from a restaurant and poured the entire contents into the radiator. It held for about a week, bought me enough time to buy a heater core until I had enough time to install it.

Ground flax seed, as I previously mentioned is what radiator shops pour in the radiator before the send it out the door. Flax seed is also used to lower cholesterol.................

No stop leak is magic, they have their place, and as I eluded to if Bars Leak doesn't work after I tried it 2 times, you're looking at a mechanical repair. It is well worth the effort to at least try it before spending a good deal of money and time for a mechanical repair. If it doesn't work you're out less than 20 bucks and some time spent.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 03-02-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Right on Brad.

A little joke I used to tell my friends about stop leak:

"just put rice in there"
"Does that work?"
" No but you'll have something to eat while you're waiting for the truck."

Old 03-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
All I'm going to say is engine blocks "break for a reason"... and they "leak for a reason".
Oh yeah and EHTTFMF!!!

Old 03-02-2020, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
I don't think the issue then (15+ years ago) or now is so much about problems with either block.

The issue is (and always has been) whether or not the respective manufacturers of each have stood behind their product when there was an issue.

If you did your research, Mark...like you suggest the rest of us do...I think you'll find tons of anecdotal evidence of who is firmly standing behind their product, and who isn't.
Since it was my block I guess I can reply. You're right Brian. I had (2) Tranys go before I noticed a problem. I did not call AP because I know that race parts are not warrantied. They did get ahold of me though and offered to make it right with a really good deal on my next block. I decided against it and got rid of my stuff. If I had an MR1 I don't think it would have survived either. If you're trying to go faster each time out, you're bound to break parts. …… Some guys would be OK with the new MR-W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	774034.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	533582  

Old 03-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's a dam big difference between fixing a block leak with bar's leak which may hold up fine in a every day stocker but not in a race motor that takes a pounding!

A leak at a casting seam needs to be treated as you would a crack before you fill it by whatever means.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with your block situation. Maybe kre will do something for you. These threads always seem to end up in the crapper