Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
strange, wonder if your AZ carried a different tool? it fit every 2nd gen stock spring ive done as well as the thicker coil PTFB springs.
It just seemed not to grab the spring well, not the right radius for them. Wanted to jump off!

As far as popping A arm off at the back I've had enough problem lining both sides holes on my F bodies especially if solid or Delrin bushings to try it with a spring slightly loading it. Now my old 73 Chevy truck I did that but it had a shaft held on by 4 bolts so easy to line up.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-13-2020, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the cradle that attaches to a transmission jack, for some one that is using a lift, or attaches to a floor jack, if you're doing it on the floor, that I described way back in post #20 taking the pivot bolts out to change springs is pretty easy, providing they aren't seized to the bushing inner sleeves.

The GM shop manuals have you removing and changing springs by this method, the key is having the cradle that attaches to a jack, that in turn supports both of the bushings to make removal/installation of the pivot bolts much easier. Having done it many times both ways, I prefer the pivot bolt removal method. No spring compressor needed and much safer overall. No need to split the ball joint and possibly get the rusted cotter pins out of the ball joint spindles either. By the same token the pivot bolts can also be seized to the the inner sleeve on the bushings, creating a whole other set of problems.

No matter which method you choose rust and corrosion can make it a miserable job, the safety factor is better on the pivot bolt removal method though.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-13-2020, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65sport View Post
Intriguing. So, you left the spindle/ball joints connected and let the bushing side of the a-arm down ? Never thought about doing it that way.
As Sirrotica stated, this is how the factory service manual and the dealers did it. As long as you can get enough leverage and the car up high enough, it's not a bad way to do it. That said, being able to put the springs in without a compressor may work on the A or F body, but the '70s B-bodies were incredibly difficult to do even with a spring compressor. Compressor mounted to the top shock, pull it up as far as I dare, floor jack and prybar. Definitely a scary potential there.

Definitely a worthwhile job to do on any original car as the factory springs are beyond worn out on most cars out there.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Intriguing. So, you left the spindle/ball joints connected and let the bushing side of the a-arm down ? Never thought about doing it that way.
That is correct. I first read about it on this site, and confirmed the 1970 manual shows this procedure.

Doing it for the 1st time it was no cake walk, and I was also working on a 4 post lift. If you have headers, look closely to confirm the bolts will clear.

Old 03-14-2020, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If my headers are on the A Arm can now swing out enough to get a tall factory spring out, OK for short road race stiff springs. In fact I have 2 sets that are dimpled by the A arm one I got from a member here so he must have had the same issue!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-14-2020, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's how they used to do them at the dealership I worked at. No spring compressor, just drop the back of the lower control arm and the ball joint allows the control arm to drop much lower and pivot in any direction. Very easy to get the spring in and out that way.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:05 PM

Am I the only one who used a 5/8" threaded rod and a 4x4 with a 5/8" hole drilled into it? the wood protected the bottom of the control arm. I'll have to see if I have pictures.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ARROWHEAD View Post
Am I the only one who used a 5/8" threaded rod and a 4x4 with a 5/8" hole drilled into it? the wood protected the bottom of the control arm. I'll have to see if I have pictures.
No, it's been mentioned before by a member that I believe lives in CA, he was told that it was a dangerous practice because the allthread could break and cause a catastrophic failure. This member made his living as a mechanic, but evidently he didn't know his butt from third base according to a few.

The all thread has a rating that is plenty strong enough to compress a spring safely, but he was shouted down by a few that knew more than he did.............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-19-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done my 55 Chevy and now my 72 Lemans with 5/8" threaded rod and nuts with thick washers made at work, along with a steel plate on bottom of A arm. I actually used two nuts on each end. Worked for me.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ARROWHEAD View Post
In my youth, I used the threaded rod down through the shock bolt hole at top, and used two sections of leaf spring I cut down and made a hole in them. One at top slid over the threaded rod, washer & nut. One slipped through the coil spring, washer & nut. Tighten up the top nut to draw the spring up enough to install the nut on the ball joint.

Never had a problem, but not so sure I would ever do that again because now I know better. Back then, who knew it should not have been used. LOL

I have always used a spring compressor. Using the jack doesn't work so well if you don't have car weight behind it. Try using the jack method installing big block chevy front springs on a chassis having just the body only bolted to it. Hmmmm. Can't figure why the entire frame lifts up. (no, I didn't do this) Spring compressor and come-along connected to the coil is needed to help keep the coil going straight & true.

Also, if you rent a spring compressor, they guy at the counter hasn't a clue as to the difference between a coil-over spring compressor and an age old GM body coil spring. The compressors have different fingers that hold/grip the coils. Use the wrong one and it'll slip off on you. So get the correct one even if you have to go to a couple of the parts rental places as I did to get the needed coil spring compressor. And.............make sure you have your cell phone in your shirt pocket and a crow bar at arms length just in case you get a thumb pinched between the bottom coil and the A-arm. The crow bar can be used to pry up on the coil to release your thumb. The phone is in case you can't and you need to call for help, or 911. Lot of pressure = lot of pain. Oh, wait a minute, my thumb is not that straight anymore.