Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-30-2020, 02:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
For those temps a crossover is not needed. I run my car all year here in AZ. It gets colder than 50 on occasion and I have no problem with warmup. My car has no choke and the heads have filled crossovers. I do run a Holley carb with choke removed.
The key point here is: time before "drive-away" is acceptable for the average driver. Never ran a choke on Holley Carbs on my GTO but always allowed the engine to warm up properly before the "drive-away".

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The key point here is: time before "drive-away" is acceptable for the average driver. Never ran a choke on Holley Carbs on my GTO but always allowed the engine to warm up properly before the "drive-away".

Tom V.
I have a fast idle solenoid that I turn on. By the time I link my cell phone bluetooth to the stereo and get Pandora up, Im ready to put it in gear and go without stalling. Then about a 1/4 mile down the road I flip the fast idle switch off. That's in the winter. In the summer its ready to go right away.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm in central Texas and I don't have a choke or a crossover. I drive year round, and have never needed either. Start up, drive out of the neighborhood. It's up to temp by the time out of the game.

77 Trans Am, 469 w/ported E-Heads via Kauffman, matched HSD intake, Butler Performance forged rotating assembly, Comp custom hyd roller, Q-jet, Art Carr 200 4R, 3.42s, 3 inch exhaust w/Doug's cutouts, D.U.I. Ignition. 7.40 in the 8th, 11.61@116.07 in the quarter...still tuning.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heat is one factor of three which helps to vaporize and atomize the fuel into a combustible gas.
The other two factors are the gas velocity through the carburetor (which increases with the engine speed) and the amount of fuel (which must be increased correspondingly if
any of the two previous factors is reduced) which means increased fuel consumption.

This is why the crossover channel is of no importance for the racer who starts at 4500 rpmīs and only drives a quarter mile a couple of times at weekends.
For the racer fuel economy and driveability are no issues.

And, if a cold engine starts well and drives off without issues missing the choke you can be sure itīs running too rich overall.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 03-30-2020, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I never had any problem with my car with filled crossovers? On cold days it took a couple minutes to warm up, but like any car, as soon as the engine won't stall out when you put it in gear and give it gas, it's time to drive it. It'll warm up very quickly when it's being driven.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Yeah, I never had any problem with my car with filled crossovers? On cold days it took a couple minutes to warm up, but like any car, as soon as the engine won't stall out when you put it in gear and give it gas, it's time to drive it. It'll warm up very quickly when it's being driven.
What was the problem before you "filled" the crossovers?

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 AM
Senior Chief

You Arizona and Texas guys with no chokes and no complaints. I'm north of Chicago. Totally different climate! LOL