Old 06-28-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ I don't disagree with anything you wrote.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're seriously thinking about turning it into a pro-touring type of car someday, I think it's a great starting point, especially if you were to keep it tasteful with factory aesthetics, built it to drive rather than sit in your garage, and approached it as a rolling project. That's exactly what I would do if it were my car. I love 71-72s, and would be all over it if I were not knee deep in my Firebird project. It would be very difficult to find a starting point that nice for 20k, where all you need is upgraded suspension, brakes, wheels, tires (and a paint job) to start. Later you could add engine, transmission, fuel system, wiring, etc. Unless the car is your ultimate dream and would never let it go, I would definitely avoid cutting it up and falling into the glam-touring rabbit hole--that's where you get upside down fast in a Pontiac.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:55 PM
Suspended

There is a guy in Erie, PA I alerted to about this today. First words out of his mouth were, "why is it so cheap". Hopefully you 2 can connect. He appreciates a nice car at a good deal.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wasn't able to see the pics when I first read this thread. Now that I've seen them, I would love to have that car. I think the '71/'72 front end is one of the best looking from any automaker of the period and the hood scoops probably actually worked on these two years.
I'd be very tempted with that interior to paint it Lucerne blue and even add the fake-a-Judge pink stripes..
As for not being a standalone model that year...nor were they standalone models in '64 or '65...it ain't hurting their values any.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't believe there's a more attractive A body platform for pro-touring than the 71-72 GTO. Google the blue '71 that the Roadster Shop did for Fermin Adames. But they also look awesome factory stock!

The Following User Says Thank You to Gator67 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I don't believe there's a more attractive A body platform for pro-touring than the 71-72 GTO. Google the blue '71 that the Roadster Shop did for Fermin Adames. But they also look awesome factory stock!
https://roadstershop.com/galleries/1971gto/

Yeah, those subtle changes to the nose are in the ballpark of what I'd be looking to do. I's probably go with a RS Spec Chassis, not sure I'd ever make use of their IRS chassis.

My Chevelle project: https://imgur.com/a/v2PHi#0
Old 06-29-2020, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't imagine the time and money that went into that build. Nice!

Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That '71 Judge is gorgeous. The 71-72 GTOs are better looking cars than same year Chevelles, Roadrunners, Chargers, and Mustangs.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime

Last edited by GTOnly70; 06-29-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:50 PM

I looked at the car 2 yrs ago and believe I offered the 19000. The car as he states is real clean, drove good. I think it had #62 heads on it. I love the color but its a candy color and who ever sprayed it didn't apply it evenly. That's the only reason I don't own it today. I didn't want to buy it and have it resprayed because of the cost. As far as changing the front end to a LeMans, DON'T DO IT! Don't listen to those people that are saying that. The car is clean and its a GTO and you have the PHS to prove it. Like someone on here said, "people in NY are cheap".

Old 06-30-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O. View Post
I looked at the car 2 yrs ago and believe I offered the 19000. The car as he states is real clean, drove good. I think it had #62 heads on it. I love the color but its a candy color and who ever sprayed it didn't apply it evenly. That's the only reason I don't own it today. I didn't want to buy it and have it resprayed because of the cost. As far as changing the front end to a LeMans, DON'T DO IT! Don't listen to those people that are saying that. The car is clean and its a GTO and you have the PHS to prove it. Like someone on here said, "people in NY are cheap".
John, did you ever find a GTO? I saw a few 71's for sale around here the last few years.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My take on your car is this: You have made it clear that 20K is going to be the sale price, period. So how to find that 20K buyer? They are out there somewhere. IMO, the buyer of your car is not going to be thinking they need to repaint it. The car isn't worth a repaint, no offense. The buyer has to love the paint color it is. The buyer at 20K isn't thinking, I hate 72 GTO's so I am going to make it into a Lemans. That just doesn't make sense to me. But a buyer of a 20K 72 GTO also shouldn't have to be thinking, man 20K spent, and the headliner is pretty rough, and this low option car with factory AC is missing half the AC system. All these little things are taking a really nice car and squeezing the sale market into a tiny number. Each thing you fix, opens the market to more buyers. To me, having working AC on the car would be very important on a hot summer day. If I liked the color, working AC would seal the deal. Good luck with it. I happen to like 71-72 GTO's.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also happen to like the mean look of the front of the 71-72 GTO. That's one of the reasons I bought my 72 Lemans with the GTO option front end (T41). But, it is a convertible, so that helped too. I look forward to eventually driving and showing it off a bit this fall when I finally wrap up my three year frame off resto. I wouldn't spend more money destroying the originality of it.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
My take on your car is this: You have made it clear that 20K is going to be the sale price, period. So how to find that 20K buyer? They are out there somewhere. IMO, the buyer of your car is not going to be thinking they need to repaint it. The car isn't worth a repaint, no offense. The buyer has to love the paint color it is. The buyer at 20K isn't thinking, I hate 72 GTO's so I am going to make it into a Lemans. That just doesn't make sense to me. But a buyer of a 20K 72 GTO also shouldn't have to be thinking, man 20K spent, and the headliner is pretty rough, and this low option car with factory AC is missing half the AC system. All these little things are taking a really nice car and squeezing the sale market into a tiny number. Each thing you fix, opens the market to more buyers. To me, having working AC on the car would be very important on a hot summer day. If I liked the color, working AC would seal the deal. Good luck with it. I happen to like 71-72 GTO's.
Only thing I have to say about this is that nobody around here (NY) drives their old car with the windows rolled up. So working A/C is a moot point.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Only thing I have to say about this is that nobody around here (NY) drives their old car with the windows rolled up. So working A/C is a moot point.
I think the point was that at a $20k buy-in, it being there on an A/C car is a perk that will help it sell as opposed to it looking, for lack of better description, incomplete.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I completely removed the A/C system in my car and installed an AC delete fan box to make it look a little more 'factory'...that said, I'm in the minority down this way. A/C is a big buy-in for muscle cars here. If I ever go back to it, it will be something like Vintage Air. I hate the big compressor, brackets and firewall suitcase that came with the factory systems.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
I also happen to like the mean look of the front of the 71-72 GTO. That's one of the reasons I bought my 72 Lemans with the GTO option front end (T41). But, it is a convertible, so that helped too. I look forward to eventually driving and showing it off a bit this fall when I finally wrap up my three year frame off resto. I wouldn't spend more money destroying the originality of it.
I can respect the originality standpoint, however that Roadster Shop take on the 71/72 GTO nose I think is an upgrade over the original look. Would I do that if 72 GTO's were say as desirable as my 66 Chevelle SS396?, probably not. And I guess, part of my reasoning for starting this thread was to get a feel for the current/future value of this model to gage the reception to a restomod.

By the way, I would never consider just putting a Le Mans nose on the car, the goal would be to modernize the cars looks to maximize the new chassis, the nose honestly needing the most attention followed by the interior.

Fixing the AC is an option and probably a good place to start if I decide to start spending money to increase the chance of sale. However, if I decide to start spending money on this car, it likely means it's no longer for sale, as I have inherently chose it as my next resto project... So, a conundrum.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How provincial.

AC is pretty damn useful here in the Southwest, probably more so in the humid Southeast too.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I live in NYS and probably have my A/C on 90% of the time that I drive my 71.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by etd66ss View Post
I can respect the originality standpoint, however that Roadster Shop take on the 71/72 GTO nose I think is an upgrade over the original look. Would I do that if 72 GTO's were say as desirable as my 66 Chevelle SS396?, probably not. And I guess, part of my reasoning for starting this thread was to get a feel for the current/future value of this model to gage the reception to a restomod.

By the way, I would never consider just putting a Le Mans nose on the car, the goal would be to modernize the cars looks to maximize the new chassis, the nose honestly needing the most attention followed by the interior.

Fixing the AC is an option and probably a good place to start if I decide to start spending money to increase the chance of sale. However, if I decide to start spending money on this car, it likely means it's no longer for sale, as I have inherently chose it as my next resto project... So, a conundrum.
Strictly an opinion. It seems pretty clear you are not "in love with this car". You have stated that you have a Chevelle you do like and another project car? If you begin spending real money on this GTO, you are taking a car with a limited sale market and just making the market that much smaller? I don't think this is the right direction. People wanting resto-mods want the car "their way", and what you do won't be the way they want it. As far as the AC system. Can't say I totally disagree with Greg above with completely eliminating it and putting an non-AC box in the car and change the controls to no AC. The way it is now, it presents a hacked-up, incomplete car with a major option, and a desirable one, inoperative and representing a major expense to fix. It's a deal breaker for many potential buyers. You have a nice car there, with major components missing under the hood. Please don't take this the wrong way but if you want to move on to your Chevelle and other projects, consider being a little flexible with the selling price and get on with life. If you were asking 20K, and you had a solid offer of 19K, is it really worth all this possible extra work for 5% discount?

Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Strictly an opinion. It seems pretty clear you are not "in love with this car". You have stated that you have a Chevelle you do like and another project car? If you begin spending real money on this GTO, you are taking a car with a limited sale market and just making the market that much smaller? I don't think this is the right direction. People wanting resto-mods want the car "their way", and what you do won't be the way they want it. As far as the AC system. Can't say I totally disagree with Greg above with completely eliminating it and putting an non-AC box in the car and change the controls to no AC. The way it is now, it presents a hacked-up, incomplete car with a major option, and a desirable one, inoperative and representing a major expense to fix. It's a deal breaker for many potential buyers. You have a nice car there, with major components missing under the hood. Please don't take this the wrong way but if you want to move on to your Chevelle and other projects, consider being a little flexible with the selling price and get on with life. If you were asking 20K, and you had a solid offer of 19K, is it really worth all this possible extra work for 5% discount?
Well, never said I hated the car, just happen to like the 69 body style a bit better. However, finding a 69 with all the orig sheetmetal like my car has for a similar price looks to be impossible. If I were to resto mod this 72, it would never go up for sale, as I don't see how one would ever get their money back. And I would not start on it until my Chevelle is completed.