Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 05:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I remember correctly small bock Ford rockers will fit on a Pontiac. They do make 1.8 ratio rockers for small bock Fords. You can buy them through Summit Racing.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracerx2813 View Post
If I remember correctly small bock Ford rockers will fit on a Pontiac. They do make 1.8 ratio rockers for small bock Fords. You can buy them through Summit Racing.
You are correct.... I sense we will have another locked thread soon here because of one guy and then he will go to PZ and act like a normal human being.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
When in doubt pick the one in the middle
Thanks....middle on the right or left

Old 09-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Dragncar's vast knowledge on blown up Pontiacs is well earned.
He is "in the know".

Old 09-15-2020, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People still post on pz ?

Looking to try round 3 with my highports, still waiting on block .

One thing i noticed is these heads are suppossed to be good for .750 lift, but my first 65 cc set had zero v to p clearance with just a .440 lobe. Went to 72 cc to gain .080. And have heard of others with bad results also, figure they would make the valve package up higher in the casting to help with off the shelf pistons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
You are correct.... I sense we will have another locked thread soon here because of one guy and then he will go to PZ and act like a normal human being.

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 09-15-2020, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post

One thing i noticed is these heads are suppossed to be good for .750 lift, but my first 65 cc set had zero v to p clearance with just a .440 lobe. Went to 72 cc to gain .080. And have heard of other with bad results also, figure they would make the valve package up higher in the casting to help with off the shelf pistons.
Just two

Old 09-15-2020, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol, like a ghost town.

My exhaust valve was the issue with valve to piston, not the intake, and was running 1.65 rockers on both. Kb Icon flat top pistons

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 09-15-2020, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Lol, like a ghost town.

My exhaust valve was the issue with valve to piston, not the intake, and was running 1.65 rockers on both. Kb Icon flat top pistons
With the small chamber heads you'll need pistons with deep pockets especially with aggressive valve events

Old 09-15-2020, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Lol, like a ghost town.

Where you short on PTV clearance or radial?

Last edited by PAUL K; 09-15-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ptv, but centered on exhaust valve recess. Plenty on the radial.

6.27@107
9.97@131
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Eveland For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2020, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

One thing i noticed is these heads are suppossed to be good for .750 lift, but my first 65 cc set had zero v to p clearance with just a .440 lobe. Went to 72 cc to gain .080. And have heard of others with bad results also, figure they would make the valve package up higher in the casting to help with off the shelf pistons.
Butlers shelf stock Ross Pistons valve reliefs are cut deep enough to work in racing applications. We just finished up a 468ci, 56cc KRE HP motor. Compression just over 15 to 1 with flat top pistons. Cam is 278@.050, .445 lobe. Had .098” vp clearance.

Having the small combustion chamber options is another advantage of the HP head.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 09-15-2020, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
Butlers shelf stock Ross Pistons valve reliefs are cut deep enough to work in racing applications. We just finished up a 468ci, 56cc KRE HP motor. Compression just over 15 to 1 with flat top pistons. Cam is 278@.050, .445 lobe. Had .098” vp clearance.

Having the small combustion chamber options is another advantage of the HP head.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
Sounds like a real nice build! Standard or offset pushrods?

Old 09-16-2020, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
The 428's aren't thin. I have one that was run in my car in the past that regularly went 7200+ with a factory N 4.00 stroke crank. It had over 1200 passes on it when a piston let go. 200 of those were with a 200 shot. Sleeved and ready to go again. Large mains are not a concern if the correct oil mods and clearances are put in place.
I believe you Mike. In "thin" I meant that all 428s are 1/8" thinner than 400 blocks n the block side of the mains.
What I do not buy is a 428 pulling to 8400 RPM(Leech territory) with iron heads and a 265 cam. Can't get enough air/fuel into the hole NA to do that. Spraying, sure, big deal. 428, cast crank is going to flex at that RPM in a stock block especially.
He makes his living doing this. Telling folks to spin 8400 in stock block,iron heads and crank, using nitrous to get it all done seems like a bad way to do it.
If I was turning 8400RPM on a regular I would have a dry sump anyway.
I have spun my 455 to 7200 a few times by mistake. .004 main clearance.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
You might want to check yourself on that, mirror please.

Folks, Paul and myself used to get along fine. Then one day here on PY a member started a thread asking about recommendations for head porters.
I have my favorites. Marcella #1 but was not sure if he was interested in taking on work at that time. Dave Wilcox is another favorite and I knew he was taking on work and has very reasonable prices so I gave Wilcox as my recommendation in the thread.
Paul K came unglued, unhinged as they say. Some all caps response yelling at me. Been downhill ever since.
Its all there for PY members to see. I did not even know Paul K ported heads at the time. Thought he was a parts guy.
It is what it is. Now he tries to rip on me for having the nerve to suggest things to members. I pay attention to what people do. What it takes to get to different power levels. Have a lot of good friends to steer me in the right direction. Have had tons of good advice over the years. Raced far more than most of you, so I have opinions you know.

And if I want to put my 2 cents in, try and help someone out I will do as I please.
Paul is trying to get me kicked out of here. Change people opinion so to speak.
I am not going anywhere and it is there for all to see what is really going on.
Pontiac,s rock.
Buick,s suck.

Everyone knows its not hard to get 600HP out of a 461 with as cast High Ports.
Everyone knows High Ports like 28-32 deg timing.
So when is there to argue about ?

Old 09-16-2020, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post

Folks, Paul and myself used to get along fine. Then one day here on PY a member started a thread asking about recommendations for head porters.
I have my favorites. Marcella #1 but was not sure if he was interested in taking on work at that time. Dave Wilcox is another favorite and I knew he was taking on work and has very reasonable prices so I gave Wilcox as my recommendation in the thread.
Paul K came unglued, unhinged as they say. Some all caps response yelling at me. Been downhill ever since.
Its all there for PY members to see. I did not even know Paul K ported heads at the time. Thought he was a parts guy.
It is what it is. Now he tries to rip on me for having the nerve to suggest things to members. I pay attention to what people do. What it takes to get to different power levels. Have a lot of good friends to steer me in the right direction. Have had tons of good advice over the years. Raced far more than most of you, so I have opinions you know.

And if I want to put my 2 cents in, try and help someone out I will do as I please.
Pontiac,s rock.
Buick,s suck.

Can you post a link to that thread? Also how a link to where this well respected person says i blow up all the time? Or these just more lies with nothing to back up your "true" claims.
You have demonstrated time and time again you don't care what the truth is if it goes against what you want to believe. Sorry but that rubs people the wrong way. Gets old seeing your false statements. When asked to back up your statements you usually just ignore the request and say you don't need to.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Pontiac,s rock.
Buick,s suck.

I thought this was all straightened out in the "lobby" section? Or were you baked at the time and don't recall?

No issues with you at all.... Post factual information and I will never have to correct you and other members will stop making fun of you.

Just because you heard it, that doesn't make it true. To quote Smokey Yunick "it's not what you don't know that gets you in trouble, its what you do know and ain't right"!

You Sir are the King of that!

PS.... I could give one crap about you referring work to me. I turn down more, work than I take in ... So give up on that theory and try to come up with another. Maybe try mine "stop posting chit that ain't right" it will give me more time to take care of my back log.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Buick,s suck.

d-car ^^^ this is what I'm talking about

"Buick,s suck.... Okay I disagree, I've always put BOP in the same "under dog " category but that's fine by me if you feel that way. However you have "come unglued" on several member here for switching to Corporate power but yet are willing to hold one "head porters" ***** who switched to SBC power.... He is great but the other contributing members here aren't worthy if living according to you.... That is called a double standard d-car.

"Not hard to get 600hp with Hi-ports".... How many times have you done this? KRE who has built more than a thousand Pontiac engines and designed the Hi-port head seemed like they were proud of the build that started this thread. How is it you know more that they do but Jeff told me every time you contact them you ask him a ton of questions.... How about next time you start the phone call with, Hi Jeff you are an idiot and I know more than you... I just need to buy a part"? I'm sure he would appreciate the short call.

"Everyone knows a hi-port likes 28-32 degrees of timing" .... No not everyone knows and not everyone's combination does ... Blank's obviously doesn't and there has been at least one other thread asking this same question... So the "argument" would be do you know this information for a fact as you state it, or are YOU making another statement that ain't right.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I believe you Mike. In "thin" I meant that all 428s are 1/8" thinner than 400 blocks n the block side of the mains.
So this guy says it and 428 blocks are good... I say it and they are thin. Maybe you have an issue with me???

Quote:
I
What I do not buy is a 428 pulling to 8400 RPM(Leech territory) with iron heads and a 265 cam. Can't get enough air/fuel into the hole NA to do that. Spraying, sure, big deal. 428, cast crank is going to flex at that RPM in a stock block especially.
428 block, factory crank, iron heads, naturally aspirated making good power to 8400 rpm using a 265 SR intake lobe.....FACT! Just because you can't understand it that doesn't mean it can't be done. This is where little knowledge and a lot of hearsay get you in trouble.

The owner of this engine is a member here may he will chime in. But like many he doesn't come around much because you try to turn everything into a chit storm of fallacies.

Quote:
I
He makes his living doing this. Telling folks to spin 8400 in stock block,iron heads and crank, using nitrous to get it all done seems like a bad way to do it.
Please quote me where I have said this. It is another one of your many lies! Flat out made up poop. Do us all a favor and "suspend" yourself.

Quote:
II have spun my 455 to 7200 a few times by mistake. .004 main clearance.
Who cares? Why do you think everyone is so concerned with your accomplishments.

BTW here is a video of one of my cars leaving on nitrous... You seem to be confused with what a nitrous pass looks like.....

https://www.facebook.com/PaulKnippen...6447513180024/

Old 09-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody's got to say it , but quit messing up another great thread with all your bs post and stick to actual facts about the thread. I hope no one on hear reads your post and thinks to themselves, man he really knows his *****e

Quote:

Pontiac,s rock.
Buick,s suck.

6.27@107
9.97@131

Last edited by Bill Eveland; 09-16-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have spun my 455 to 7200 a few times by mistake. .004 main clearance.
Clearly you don't know the difference of spinning to 8400 RPM and making peak HP @ 8400 RPM.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Closed Thread