Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-07-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Back to the OP's question. You didn't talk about rocker arms or valve covers. Or the valley cover. Any possibility those back rocker arms are just barely kissing the rocker covers, or drippers or something in there? How about the rocker arms just kissing the retainer on the backside? Slightly different valve stem heights can cause these tiny interferences that make a little noise. I would pull that cover and have a look in there. I hope you find it.
Thanks for input.
I’m using the BOP valve cover spacers and the Pontiac aluminum covers. Harland Sharp rockers. Checked for clearance and it’s good. When engine still cold not to bad. Only when it gets hot there’s some noise. Again it’s nothing horrible or even bad. It’s just I can tell the difference and wondering why? The valley pan is as quite as one would hope.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excuse the hand drawing .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	553282  

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 11-08-2020, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
And it’s not so loud that it’s annoying but I’m trying to figure out if there’s some logical reason or someone’s experience.

When cleaning the block, were the oil galleys cleaned with a rod ran through them? (just boiling them out doesn't clean them)

A lot of blocks seem to have a huge sludge type build up in them especially on that side. (end of line basically)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Made a slight correction to your drawing Steve. The oil for the studs in the pre-64 heads is metered by the holes in the #4 (left head) and #2 (right head) cam journals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oiling.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	553305  

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 11-08-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:00 PM
Senior Chief

Default lifter oiling

Have you tried moving the noisy lifters to the front driver's side to see if the noise moves with the lifters?

Old 11-08-2020, 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=johnta1;6193679]When cleaning the block, were the oil galleys cleaned with a rod ran through them? (just boiling them out doesn't clean them)

A lot of blocks seem to have a huge sludge type build up in them especially on that side. (end of line basically)

Block was well cleaned before I took it in and again at machine shop. I then checked it after again.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat-bill View Post
Have you tried moving the noisy lifters to the front driver's side to see if the noise moves with the lifters?
Good idea as I was planning on switching all the lifters left to right side. Thinking it’s probably the lifters.
Just to mention this since I didn’t before. Another idea is maybe it’s the lift of the cam.
It’s the Stump Puller profile from SD Performance by ground by Comp Cams.
The lift is about .587-.590. When observing the lifters thru their travel I noticed that there is barely any oil bleed out the top of the bores at base and low lift. But when the lifter gets to max lift the oil flows very well. Possibly the lifters are collapsing at this point especially the last 4 lifters in the oil flow of the right side galley. They all look the same flow while turning over the engine and priming the pump with a drill. 60 psi oil pressure all the time. Just an idea.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Boost Engineer

Do you have the 'so called' "Distributor Gear Oiling Hole" drilled in the threaded plug hidden by the rear core plug to that oil gallery?

The engines sometimes get an "air pocket" in the oil gallery between the solid rear plug and the last two lifters, or four lifters in some rare cases, and those lifters make noise.

Drilling a .030" hole in the rear plug in a vice and then installing the plug in the oil passage now oils the distributor gear somewhat AND also allows any trapped air in the gallery to be forced out of the passage so that the lifters all see solid oil flow from that gallery.

Food for thought.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run the Stump Puller in 2 diff engines with the Shaver lifters.Tom

Old 11-08-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Do you have the 'so called' "Distributor Gear Oiling Hole" drilled in the threaded plug hidden by the rear core plug to that oil gallery?

The engines sometimes get an "air pocket" in the oil gallery between the solid rear plug and the last two lifters, or four lifters in some rare cases, and those lifters make noise.

Drilling a .030" hole in the rear plug in a vice and then installing the plug in the oil passage now oils the distributor gear somewhat AND also allows any trapped air in the gallery to be forced out of the passage so that the lifters all see solid oil flow from that gallery.

Food for thought.

Tom V.
Yes I did Tom. About a .025 hole. When I opened the valley pan to look under I removed the lifters one at a time from last to first to check the volume of oil flow thru the galley. All looked good. Then I reinstalled and pumped oil thru until all the air was gone and like mention before I could see oil flowing out the top of each bore around the lifter. I even marked the lifter at bottom of the lift and then marked again at full lift to check where the oil band was in the bore. That came out well as there was about .200-.300 before the band would be exposed. Could be that some lifters are sensitive to oil bleed depending on their position in the block as to being last in the oil flow path.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I have run the Stump Puller in 2 diff engines with the Shaver lifters.Tom
Nothing wrong with the cam. My only point was that maybe with a shorter cam lift the oil band in the lifter wouldn’t be so close to the top and there would be less oil bleeding out. I’m not sure. Maybe Im seeing the normal amount of oil bleeding but I don’t know as I’ve not had to make this type of observation before.
The hotter the oil gets from start up the louder it gets. So flow does have an effect on it.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I posted about this on GTO forum and came back here to see this thread.

I asked (over there) why no one ever puts a crossover ,under the valley, from the rear left lifter galley to the right rear.

Would that not fix any oil starvation issues...Period /???

Of course it would

If the block is thick enough to support it, you should be able to drill and tap ( 1/8 NPT) and shove a fitting in it and run a piece of tubing to the passenger side galley from the left ( drivers side) and effectively match the flow/pressure across both sides.Effectively putting both galleys at the head of the oil feed.

This was a fix I have pondered a few years ( actaully quite a few)

I am suprised no one has done this knowing what we all know about pontiac engines.

I am going to look at the galley thickness on the next build I do to see if just exaclty that can be done. It might be a while, but I will be checking. Anyone else who may have a block laying around, please take a gander and post up if you can.
My blockk is at the machine shop (about 45 minute drive) so I wont be rushing over to sonic check anything soon ..LOL

Old 11-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a few people on FB, that Jim Lehert built engines for and he is using the LS hyd roller lifters with a ford spider.

These combos have thousands of miles on them.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.gtoforum.com/threads/oil...0/#post-906134

Old 11-08-2020, 07:24 PM
Senior Chief

Did this drilled out threaded plug come from the factory or is something engine builders do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Food for thought.

Tom V.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No, just a good mod from Jim Hands book, or yes , what some good builders do.

The Following User Says Thank You to LATECH For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2020, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The drilled out threaded plug modification is mentioned back in the late 70's in the H-O Pontiac High Performance book. A do it yourself or you can buy them.
Example......

Butler 3/8" Pipe Plug, Passenger Side Oil Galley, Drilled PIO-PP475

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
I posted about this on GTO forum and came back here to see this thread.

I asked (over there) why no one ever puts a crossover ,under the valley, from the rear left lifter galley to the right rear.
Several on the forum have either used a IA-2 Block with a Oil Passage drilled
at the front of the block and remote lines to feed more oil to the front of the block or came up with a system like you have described.

My opinion is it is better to take the oil flow from the rear of the block (near the distributor) or from the Oil Filter housing to feed other things. Like Superchargers (Vortech and Paxton) or Turbos, or in your thread passenger side lifters.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:18 PM

Add another vote in the "20w50 is a bit thick" column, but I don't think that's your issue.

I would be checking clearances and wear points. Regardless if this is your first or five thousandth Pontiac build, I'd tear the top end down to inspect. I'd be checking push rod to push rod hole clearance, rocker to valve cover clearance, rocker tip to valve tip geometry, spring retainer to valve seal clearance, even the run out clearances on those roller lifters.

Gaskets are a whole lot cheaper than the parts you're running the risk of ruining by continuing to run that engine with that malfunction.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
There are a few people on FB, that Jim Lehert built engines for and he is using the LS hyd roller lifters with a ford spider.

These combos have thousands of miles on them.
Not on snoopbook. Can we get some more info on that. I remember a thread about that spider. Wondering how it all worked out.