THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the videos showed a guy using a cheap curved tip syringe to put grease in that hole. I looked 'em up. Seems they're used for all sorts of things, including dental uses & as a hobby tool for working on models.

Online, they are only about a dollar each, if you buy at least 5. If you buy a larger quantity, they're only about 50 cents each. Gonna get TJ to see if she can buy just one, real cheap, at Wal Mart or one of the local drug stores.

The most popular one seems to be the Monoject 412.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoject-Curv...ag=googhydr-20

Another is the Easy Glide 1012.

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Glide-Cu.../dp/B01H0IAM7K

What do ya'll think about a factory "Reconditioned" EGO CS1401 for $179 + tax ? Right now, it's more than $40 cheaper than the best new price I can find. Warranty is only 1 year. I assume it will work just as good as a new one. Keep in mind that this is for a saw I don't need. At least, as of right now, I don't THINK I need it.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/ego-cs1401-fc

Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Grease Hole

Decided to check our saw bars for the grease hole.

To my surprise, all 3 saws DO have the hole. The Kobalt pole saw does not have one. But, the 12" Dewalt, as well as the 40v & 80v Kobalt all DO have one.

Below are pics of the hole in the Dewalt & 40v Kobalt. The hole in the 80v looks almost exactly like the 40v. All the wheels are held in with one rivet.

There are videos that show guys repairing professional bars, which have removable, replaceable bar ends. The replaceable ends are of course the part that has the wheel(sprocket) & grease hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dewalt Grease Hole .jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	554482   Click image for larger version

Name:	40v Kobalt Grease Hole .jpg
Views:	47
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	554483  

Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
What do ya'll think about a factory "Reconditioned" EGO CS1401 for $179 + tax ?
I'd pay the extra $40 and get New with the 5yr/3yr Warranty.
Mainly just for covering the Battery
Ad doesn't say if the battery is also refurb'd , or New

How much is shipping from Acme - to you ?
Webpage says Free Ship - IF - Over $199

EGO's having matching serial numbers on the Tool and Battery . fwiw

I'm going to keep a watch on the Acme website for 16" or 18" Bare Tool Refurbished EGO Chainsaws. They seem to be the only outlet doing Refurb EGO.

Back in June 2020 , HomeDepot had Refurb 14" EGO Saw with 2.0 Battery for $149
Found an old link where someone copy/pasted the ad on a web forum page.
That would have been a Nice Deal to pick up in a store.

Old 11-21-2020, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now here is something Really Wild
EGO has a BackPack PowerLink for their hand tools
You wear your Battery in a backpack harness and it has a 5'9" Cable with a "dummy head" battery receptacle you plug into the tool where the real battery would go.
They have batteries up to 7.5Ah

Those EGO people are really going all the way above and beyond.

That would make one of the chainsaws feather-lite.
And - it's ONLY $180 extra !

They also have power converters where you hook in 4 of their batteries to this digital box and use it like a gas powered generator.
If you gots the moneys they gots the goodies

Old 11-22-2020, 02:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...How much is shipping from Acme - to you ?
Webpage says Free Ship - IF - Over $199..."

Yeah, I noticed that too. But, if you put it in your "cart" & go to checkout, it shows free shipping, plus tax.

Without free shipping, the total price would be nearly the price of a new one from Amazon. I'm sure Acme realized that when they priced it.

New, from Amazon, seems to the best deal going, right now.

Assuming that Lowes is just getting cranked up with EGO. So I'm hoping they'll have some smokin deals, in the near future. OR, since HD don't sell EGO anymore, Lowes may figure they don't need to price 'em any lower.

I called Lowes yesterday. I can either get a price match OR the 10% vet discount, but NOT both. So, with the 5% credit with the Amazon store card, at $230 + tax, Amazon has Lowes price beat. I've got nothing but great service & quick shipping from Amazon.

Don't know if a warranty claim would be any better experience if I bought from Lowes ???

Old 11-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Chains

As cheap as chains are, I have no plans, right now, to spend any time sharpening any of my chains with a file.

Have already bought new Oregon chains for the Kobalt pole saw & 12" chainsaw. I use the 12" quite a bit now. So, it's chain does cut near as good as it did when new.

So, I decided to search for the best price, even if I must buy more than one at a time. Also plan to use the WEN 16" a lot. So, I'll need some new chains for it(assuming it cuts OK).

Well, when I looked up an Oregon S56, the 1st thing that popped up was what I call a "no name" brand. I'd never heard of it. I just assumed it was cheap Chinese junk. So, I looked up reviews of that brand. To my complete surprise, the chains get real good reviews. And, if you buy 4 to 6 at a time, you can get the price down to $7 or less.

The brand is UpStart. Anybody use 'em ?

https://www.amazon.com/UpStart-Compo...-garden&sr=1-2

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Pack-16...ents/242015503

Old 11-22-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an Oregon Power Blade on my chainsaw. It has the extra holes in the blade you you can use their chainsaw sharpener. You can buy them as a set, and extra stones as you need them. You attach it to the blade then point it and rest it on the ground. Pull the trigger and press down for 3 to 5 seconds and it sharpens the chain.

Video of it on YouTube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYCxjDoxj0E

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had seen the UpStart Bars and Chains on Walmart website.
Figured they were probably real inferior/short life type products for infrequent users.
Would be good to know if they stay sharp with extended use - beyond periodic infrequent use like most homeowner type chainsaws.

They charge $8-10 per chain to sharpen them around here - off the saw.
I bought a Harbor Freight bench model chain sharpener years ago - and have never even used it yet.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gotta brag on the Oregon Grease Gadget
It works quick and easy.
The tapered cone nozzle seals off on the holes in the bar and no grease tries to push back out around the hole on the side you are greasing.
Its a real injector

Took 2 pump-injections on each side of the new/un-used 14" EGO to get some excess.
Only 1 on each side of the new/un-used 12" Craftsman (smaller nose).
I took the bars/chains off the saws so could see the action easier.
Everybody needs one of these gadgets for $6.50

My old electric Remington 8" Pole Saw is the only saw that doesn't have a sprocket/rivet in the nose. And no grease hole.
Old Ryobi 18volt 10" has a Homelite bar with sprocket/rivet/grease hole.

The 14" bar/chain from the EGO - also fits the 12" Craftsman saw.
It spins it good, and looks more like a real chainsaw with 14" bar on it.

Will grease the others tomorrow and see if the Kobalt 18" bar fits the EGO saw.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Got a WEN

TJ & I were working on some trees/limbs behind our old cow barn, which I used as my shop for a few years. The parish gravel road that goes to our house is only about a hundred yards to the West of where we were working. TJ saw the Fed Ex truck drive by on the state asphalt road that was only about 50-60 yards North of us. We then heard it turn in & go down our gravel road.

So, I knew he was delivering our WEN 40417 saw. Told TJ to go home & get it & bring it back, so we could try it out. She put the batt on charge, installed the bar/chain, added some bar/chain oil, & was back in about 30 minutes, with the saw.

Learned that this is our 3rd WEN tool. Besides my air compressor, TJ has a WEN brand dremel tool, which she uses for modifying model horses. Says it works great.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	W1 - WEN 40417 .jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	554639   Click image for larger version

Name:	W2 - L Side .jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	554640   Click image for larger version

Name:	W3 - R Side .jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	554641   Click image for larger version

Name:	W4 - Batt & Charger .jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	554642   Click image for larger version

Name:	W5 - With Bar & Chain .jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	554643  

Old 11-23-2020, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gave it a try

Started on a small branch. Whacked it right off. Moved to a larger branch, maybe 5". No sweat.

So, I dug into the tree, at a point which was aprox 10". You can't force it thru, like with the 80v Kobalt. But, if you let it cut without adding a lot of downforce, it cuts great. MUCH better than the 12" saws we have. But, the 12" saws are LIGHT, and therefore great for limbs & stuff smaller than 4".

So, it appears that this WEN will fit in exactly where we need it. We can save the 80v for the big(to us) stuff, use the WEN for the medium size stuff, & do all the limbing with the light 12" saws.

TJ used the WEN some too. Cut good for her too. She did point out the short lag time, from the time you pull the trigger, til the chain starts moving. I was aware of this, from watching YouTube videos. You have to get the chain moving BEFORE you stick it to the wood. Just a little different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	W6 - Tried a small one. .jpg
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	554645   Click image for larger version

Name:	W7 - A little bigger .jpg
Views:	32
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	554646   Click image for larger version

Name:	W8 - Let's try a 10 incher. .jpg
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	554647   Click image for larger version

Name:	W9 - Looks good. .jpg
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	554648   Click image for larger version

Name:	W10 - Yep. Cuts good. .jpg
Views:	38
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	554649  

Old 11-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats on the WEN
16" is about the perfect all-around size bar
I hope it gives you years and years of good service.
It looks better in your pictures than it did on the websites, too.

Have you ever weighed your 12" 40volt Kobalt (with battery) ?
That saw could probably handle a 14" and/or 16" bar , being a 40volt.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finished This Job

Finally got this tree down & cut into small enuff pieces for the Kioti to drag 'em down the hill, then push 'em into the edge of the scrub brush trees, about 40 yards away.

I assume the three main tree stems shared the same root system. The biggest, the one pictured, looked to be just over 20" in diameter, the long way. The 18" Kobalt bar would not reach across. I had to cut from both sides.

Also, maybe 4ft above the cut, there was a fork. The North fork was slightly smaller than the South fork. They were leaning in opposite directions. After we checked it out from all sides, we agreed that, as a whole, it was leaning almost due West. That would put the top of the North fork on the South end of the Barn roof.

So, I made the notch facing Southwest. After making the backcut deep enuff I began adding wedges. Made the cut as close to the hinge as I dared. Pounded in my two 8" wedges. Heard some cracking. It ALMOST fell. If I'd had 2 more 8" wedges, I could have doubled 'em & pushed it on down. Reckin I need to buy a few more wedges.

BUT, thank God for the Kioti ! TJ had climbed a ladder & hooked a chain as high as she could reach, just in case. So, all I had to do was tighten up on the chain, just a hair, & the tree went right over. All it needed was a gentle little nudge. Could have pushed it on over with the bucket, if it was cleared out behind the tree. But, we haven't got around to cleaning up that area, yet.

Hey ya'll, this is hard manual labor. Took us over 4 hours to down that tree & clean up the mess. But, I need the exercise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BT1 - Our Saws .jpg
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	554650   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT2 - The Stumps .jpg
Views:	34
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	554651   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT3 - 20 Inches + .jpg
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	554652   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT4 - The Scene .jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	554655   Click image for larger version

Name:	BT5 - Finally Resting Place .jpg
Views:	34
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	554657  

Old 11-23-2020, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Weight

"...Have you ever weighed your 12" 40volt Kobalt (with battery) ? "

All we have is bathroom scales.

Weighed 'em by themselves. To my surprise, the 12" Kobalt weighed exactly the same as the 12" Dewalt. 10 lbs for both. Keep in mind, this scale weighs only in 1/2 lb increments. So, one saw could weigh at least 7 ounces more than the other & it might not show up, on our scales. The WEN weighed 12.5 lbs.

TJ got on the scales & I handed her the saws. Same results.

Didn't weigh the 80v Kobalt. It's heavy ya'll, especially when you have to cut a notch about shoulder high. BUT, when you NEED the power, it's there ! I LOVE that saw !

The 18" EGO and the Echo, and others, may cut faster. I don't know. But, so far, this 80v Kobalt is all the saw I need, for the bigger stuff we cut. Wouldn't tackle one of the 3-4 foot oaks we have. We'll just work AROUND those.

Was looking at some 18" EGO reviews. Some reviews say they go 10,500 rpm. Others say 11,000 rpm. That should rip right thru lots of stuff.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...n%20speed%20up.

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-23-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Hotrod 11,000rpm EGO nor the Echo - will match the 80volt Kobalt.
80volt Kobalt is KingKong
The test you linked before was using the 6800rpm EGO against the Echo.
Not the 11,000rpm EGO (EGO claims 11,000rpm motor shaft speed)
The 14" and 16" EGO's are around 62 feet per second
The Echo is 68 feet per second
18" EGO is 99 feet per second

I kept the 80volt Kobalt because i could tell it was even faster chain speed and more powerful than the 18" Hotrod EGO just dry running them.

The EGO i finally wound up with, is an 18" with HeadLights.
14" and 18" EGO Bar/Chain set-ups , and waiting for the right deal/price on a 16" EGO branded Bar/Chain kit. They are terribly proud of their replacement Bar/Chain kit with the EGO Logo. I did catch a sweet deal on the 14" EGO Bar/Chain kit on eBay.

And the EGO 24"x1" Hedger
2 of the 2.5Ah batteries, and 2 of the 5.0Ah batteries
I'm ready to hit the forest soon

Helped a friend late this afternoon, took my old pole saw and the EGO with 14" kit.
Worked past dark and i REALLY REALLY like the Headlights on the saw.
We had 'some' light from a street light not real far away but it wasn't enough.
The headlights were awesome just on the low setting.

The 11,000 EGO does a little bit like your WEN, but its more like Turbo lag.
It starts with the trigger, but takes a blink to hit full speed.
But it holds its speed and torque from there.
They recommend starting all these battery saws "off-the-wood".

The 6800rpm EGO doesn't have any real type of lag.
And they are 1 pound lighter than the 11,000
I knew all this and it was a long debated choice to step up to the 11,000
The headlights won me over in the end because i'm well known for working past dusk/dark

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 11-24-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...The headlights won me over in the end..."

Yeah, I like the idea. We really have only one good road out from our place to the parish gravel road. I can remember several times when one or both roads were blocked with fallen trees, from a night time storm.

In such circumstances, if we needed to get out before daylight, I figure the saw lights might help.

So, you got 11,000 rpm of high speed power, plus the lights, plus one knob chain tightening. What's not to like ? And, right now, they're only $50 more than the CS1604. One reviewer said the 18" EGO was in a different class than the 14/16".

These guys rated it #1, behind the small gas saw, ahead of the several cordless saws they tested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmIkI3Fu88&t=408s

Since I don't really NEED another saw, I might just wait 'til I get another China plague stimulus check, then go for the 18".

Old 11-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never really searched for the chain speed on the WEN saw.

On the end of the box it says the chain speed is 2950 fpm.

Rated at 8200 rpm.

The WEN website says the chain speed is 49 feet per second.

https://wenproducts.com/products/40v...ry-and-charger

Ordered a 5-pack of UpStart CSC-s45 chains for our 12" saws. Price was $30 + tax.

https://www.amazon.com/UpStart-Compo...-garden&sr=1-1

Will see how they do. If they don't work out good, we'll just switch back to Oregon brand chains.

I realize that most people sharpen their dull chains. So, we'll soon have several used, dull 45 link 12" chains, if somebody wants 'em. Will sell for whatever USPS cheapest shipping is.

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-24-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

49 ft per sec is about as fast as you could ask for from a 40volt.
The 8200 RPM sounds weird in relation to chain speed, but i don't know how they gear these things. And hope i never need to find out whats inside of them !

The 16" EGO is rated 6800 RPM and 62 ft per sec, for a cross reference

The draw-backs on the 18" EGO are
1 pound heavier than 14&16
Probably higher drain on the battery with HotRod 11k motor vs. 6800 motor
I like the 2 step chain adjusters better on the 14/16 where you can pick your own tension. The 1-Knob uses a built-in cam tensioner and it sets the tension about 1 or 2 smidges tighter than i would set it up.

EGO's product marketing is really cruel, imo.
For $50 more you get a 5.0 battery and 2" more bar/chain with a 16.
Which is smart money just on the battery alone.

But for another $50 on top of that - you get a LED Headlight, a HotRod Motor, and 2" more bar/chain with a 18.
Smart money there too

We start out wanting to spend around $200 or less,
then get familiar with an EGO saw and make the jump to $250,
then the $50 upgrades suck you right in and you're at $350. lol
Lowes is missing the boat by not stocking the 16" to work the $50 upgrade increments to their full up-sales potential.

If the 14" had a Headlight i would have stopped right there,
and they figured this all out way before we did.

Old 11-24-2020, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IF I understand it correctly, the one downside I see of the 18" EGO is that it takes a special bar, which has a gizmo attached to it, which must be used in order for the chain tensioner to work.

I saw one video that said you can flip the bar over & attach the gizmo to the opposite side of the bar, with just one screw. The tensioner is discussed beginning around the 4:30 point of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQYeTIqpKDE&t=905s

So, will that gizmo attach to & work with a standard type bar, & standard type bars of different lengths ?

https://egopowerplus.com/18-inch-guide-bar/

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-AG1.../dp/B088B4KX2S

Or, to ask the question a different way: Will the one knob tensioner gizmo attach to a standard type bar ? OR, is a special bar required, in order to work with the EGO tensioner gizmo.

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-24-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bar on the 18" EGO is a standardized bar
(as in ~ standard for todays battery types with narrow keef bars)

The metal adapter piece is the only thing special and it will interchange into any of the other bars , with just one phillips screw.

The 12" Craftsman bar, 14" EGO bar, and 18" EGO bar will all interchange just by adding - or removing - the adapter.

The adapter has a protruded square block that the "adjusting cam" makes contact with and sets the tension.
All the bars have 2 holes (1 above the main long slot, and 1 below)
The adapter has a locating peg that goes in one hole, and the screw goes in the other.

Any time you remove the sprocket cover , you just have to be sure to put the cam back with its lowest area indexed to meet the block initially, before you start tightening the knob to re-assemble the sprocket cover.
(The cam wheel stays inside the sprocket cover when cover is removed)

I haven't checked yet to see if the Kobalt 18" Bar will interchange with the Craftsman and EGO saws, but pretty sure it will since it is also the narrow keef design from Oregon.

The self-adjusting deal is pretty simplistic.
I just have to trust it has been thoroughly tested as accurate.
My preference might be on the "loose side" of correct.
It sets it good and tight for sure, i think its designed as "idiot-proof" adjusting for newer chainsaw users.