Old 05-29-2021, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Engine noise part two

Same issue different thread: I need advice.

My engine has a slight tick after it warms up after a few minutes. It’s Described by mechanic as swirling a marble in a tin can. To me if you lean in close it’s sounds like a faint diesel motor sound, really faint.
We can’t tell where it’s coming from even with stethoscope.method. The mechanic is confident it is not in the bottom end. He thinks it’s a lifter starting to act up, not certain. Also, it isn’t clear on any side.

My dilemma is I’ve bought all my paint materials so it can go get sprayed. I’d like to resolve the issue before it’s shiny. If it’s indeed a lifter going out I’d hate to have that done after paint. It’s in primer now and ready for paint.

Part of me wants to take the shot in the dark and just install a new cam and lifters to replace the original 068 cam in there, however, if it’s not that I’m wasting money. The original cam is then needlessly removed.

Is there a way for me to eliminate if it’s a lifter going bad?

Old 05-29-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, but it's messy. Remove a valve cover after warming engine. Start engine, and use a thumb to put pressure on each rocker at the top, effectively putting the pressure on the lifter. Sound will change if you touch the noisy one. If not on that side, reinstall the valve cover, remove the other one and repeat process.

Old 05-29-2021, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh boy. Yeah that does sound messy.

After 53 I wonder if I should just do the new cam and lifter at this point.

If I was to go that route do you know what new cam would take the place of the original 068 cam? I had the heads completely rebuilt a few months ago. Bottom end is original.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I meant to say after 53 years.

What cam is comparable to 068 factory unit? Any particular brand?

Old 05-29-2021, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pull the intake and valley cover first.You will have to do it to change cams anyway.Look at the lobes of the cam and maybe pull the lifters to look at the face to make sure they are still good.Could also take the plugs out a spin it over to make sure they are all spinning before you pull the lifters.Tom

Old 05-31-2021, 06:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great idea!

If I do indeed have a lifter needing replaced...what should I replace my stock cam with that’s equivalent?

Im under the impression it has the original 068 cam in it. If I want to keep the stock specs or close, is there a brand that makes that replacement?

Old 06-02-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you checked the crank pulley bolts? I had a tick that I chased for weeks. Swapped water pumps, took belts off one at a time, etc. Couldn't find any specific spots or area that the sound was coming from. Just seemed to radiate out into the air.
Finally checked balancer. One pulley bolt was missing and another was finger loose.
Personally, I couldn't do anything as drastic as changing Cam and lifters without verifying what it was first. That's a lot of work only to find that it did absolutely nothing.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Old 06-02-2021, 09:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is my fear! I’m stalling to get the car’s paint finished with hopes that the noise is figured out first.
I have no leaks it’s running really good, which makes me reluctant to go through that for no gain.

I would like to know the replacement for that cam as plan B only. One of the members here is going to stop by this week and hear what’s it’s doing.

Today I plan to snug up the exhaust manifolds to see if one was left loose when new gaskets were installed.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:33 AM
Senior Chief

Well one way is to remove the fan belts and see if goes away (can run for 10-20 seconds from cold ok.).

ps with a manual trans I like a 744 cam.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:35 AM

Hello Supersport, I have had a few engines with the swirling marble noise and most of them had the noise coming from the timing chain. One of the engines was a small block chevrolet that the owner had recently installed one of the cheap "China" made roller timing chain kits. Reading your post, you state the bottom end is original. I assume the timing chain is original? You may want to slowly turn the crank and observe the rotation of the rotor, or valve action to determine if there is excessive play in the chain. John

Old 06-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1975 my GTO was making a noise like that and when I tore into the motor it had some bent pushrods. The original
pushrods Pontiac used in their V-8's bend very easily at higher revs. Chrome-moly pushrods solved my problem.

Old 06-05-2021, 02:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAction View Post
Hello Supersport, I have had a few engines with the swirling marble noise and most of them had the noise coming from the timing chain. One of the engines was a small block chevrolet that the owner had recently installed one of the cheap "China" made roller timing chain kits. Reading your post, you state the bottom end is original. I assume the timing chain is original? You may want to slowly turn the crank and observe the rotation of the rotor, or valve action to determine if there is excessive play in the chain. John
As far as we could tell only the water pump and timing chain were replaced when I got the car. We checked the chain when the oil pan was off.

Today a friend of mine and member on here came by to hear it from a cold start. I told him that sound would start at about 170 degrees and it did. But after about 10 more minutes the temp snuck up to about 190 degrees and the sound went away!

Does that make any sense? 165-185 range noise then goes away. I’ll try my luck tomorrow and see if it just quit doing it but I can’t be that lucky. I was tempted to drop some oil and replace with marvel.

If newer timing chain is making noise do I need to worry?

Old 03-01-2022, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Have you checked the crank pulley bolts? I had a tick that I chased for weeks. Swapped water pumps, took belts off one at a time, etc. Couldn't find any specific spots or area that the sound was coming from. Just seemed to radiate out into the air.
Finally checked balancer. One pulley bolt was missing and another was finger loose.
Personally, I couldn't do anything as drastic as changing Cam and lifters without verifying what it was first. That's a lot of work only to find that it did absolutely nothing.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk
I just had this issue SS#69 was having. When I was driving my car it sounded like a lifter making noise. When I was looking under the hood I could not tell where the noise was. Took the valve cover off, looked like the was oil all over the place so I did not think it was a lifter issue. Sounded like it might be the water pump, and it looked like a drip from the weep hole. I took out the stethoscope and was not sure if it was making the noise I was hearing or not. So I replaced the water pump, and of course that was not the problem. But it still sounded like the front of the motor. When I got down on the floor it sounded like the bottom front of the motor. So I came on here and did some research and found these posts. When I took off the bolts to the crank pulleys all four bolts were almost sheared off. Also on pulley 9790842 the holes egged out a lot and pulley 9790843 started to egg out. The balancer seemed to be okay, but I changed it anyway. If anyone has these pulley’s to sell please let me know. Hopefully the noise was coming from the pulley’s. Thanks for this post guys. Thanks, Marc.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’ve heard mine run about 3x since summer (in paint) but it was tied to temp for whatever reason. It’d tap after 5 min or so or 160 plus then fade after it ran another 5 min.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport#69 View Post
I’ve heard mine run about 3x since summer (in paint) but it was tied to temp for whatever reason. It’d tap after 5 min or so or 160 plus then fade after it ran another 5 min.
Tony, when you get caught up, etc. I would be willing to drop by and listen to your engine if you want.
Jeff

Old 03-12-2022, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m hoping to have it back in a few weeks.

Old 03-13-2022, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport#69 View Post
I’m hoping to have it back in a few weeks.
We'll be in touch!