Old 01-08-2022, 08:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default outboard seatbelt covers

I have the outboard retractable seatbelts on my 1965 GTO. The plastic covers both had cracks and missing pieces.
I bought new covers. The chrome end does not fit thru the slot in the plastic cover. How do these covers go on? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2022, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello Jack P. A year ago I had the same question. I finally found on YouTube a video by a guy restoring, I believe, a set of 72 El Camino belts and he shows how to get the chrome thru. Basically, you start putting the chrome end thru the slot at an angle. Push hard enough and it will go thru far enough to get a screw driver thru the seat belt slot. Use a rag under the screw driver and pry the chrome piece thru. Works that way fine. No breaks and no scratches. The first one is a little slow to do, being careful. The second one will be easy.

"Bill"!

Old 01-09-2022, 01:27 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
Hello Jack P. A year ago I had the same question. I finally found on YouTube a video by a guy restoring, I believe, a set of 72 El Camino belts and he shows how to get the chrome thru. Basically, you start putting the chrome end thru the slot at an angle. Push hard enough and it will go thru far enough to get a screw driver thru the seat belt slot. Use a rag under the screw driver and pry the chrome piece thru. Works that way fine. No breaks and no scratches. The first one is a little slow to do, being careful. The second one will be easy.

"Bill"!
Thanks Bill. I looked on Youtube but did not see this video. I think this is
what you were referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQOs1gw3iZk

Old 01-09-2022, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, that is it Jack P.. At least I remembered the El Camino. This getting old is a B**ch..

"Bill"!

Old 01-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its fairly straight forward, but you have to disassemble the seat belt retractor, and remove the end of the shaft then install through cover and reassemble. Only simple hand tools are needed.
Don't forget that there are R and L although they are not labelled as such. The belt must come out of the retractor on the inboard side (always towards the interior.) and the label always faces inboard (double check me on this)
Be super careful when you remove the cap with the "slinky" spring. It will take an eye out!