Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F9213AE-F754-4E3D-A40F-6B80A406DB36.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	582907  

Old 01-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume you don't like the way it looks and the rust. My 62 Catalina box looked like that. I had to twist the fuses to make some circuits work. I replaced all the fuses, I used a Dremel tool and a small soft wire brush to clean all the contacts. Ran it at a minimal speed so I wouldn't get the contacts too hot. I gently bent all the contacts to get good tension on the fuse ends. Before I installed the fuses, I put a VERY THIN film of dielectric grease on the fuse ends. Dielectric grease is a lousy conductor, so keep it thin. This has worked for me for 5 years so far. I would use genuine Bus, or Littlefuse fuses, not some crappy knock offs.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. We use Noalox in my business. It痴 an antioxidant and conductive. You might want to use it next time with yours instead of dielectric grease. I値l clean it and replace the fuses with new.

The Following User Says Thank You to DiamondJim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just replaced most of the fuse clamps in my fuse box, there were 3 or 4 that couldn't be easily replaced so just cleaned them up.

But this was done with the box and wiring on the bench ... would be kind of a nightmare to do in the car unless you are small, agile and good with a soldering iron.

Got the new fuse holder terminals from these guys:

http://www.delmarwire.com/home/fuse-block-terminals/

Old 01-28-2022, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I知 guessing I値l have to cut and butt splice about twenty wires to get the block in my bench?

Old 01-28-2022, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a tip. Do not use simple green to clean the fuse panel. It takes the letters off! Ask me how I know . . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	770F8B65-01D8-4BEF-8E86-7718544EDE66.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	582983  

Old 01-28-2022, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
Thanks. I知 guessing I値l have to cut and butt splice about twenty wires to get the block in my bench?
If your not going to service the fuse block in place and your going to cut and splice, I strongly recommend either solder and heat shrink the wires back together or use heat shrink style butt connectors . IMO, ordinary butt type splices have no place in a car application with moisture, heat and vibration.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2022, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
You should be able to clean the fuse contacts with the block in the car, I don't think you need to remove it.

I like using a pencil eraser to clean up electrical contacts, it's easy to use and is a mild enough abrasive that it won't damage them (doing things like scraping with a knife can remove the plating, which makes them more likely to re-corrode later on.) If you need a solvent, cleaner, or grease, Caig Deoxit has a good line of products: https://caig.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post: