THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-10-2022, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Are You Now Doing Your Taxes for the IRS?

Well, here's a bit of advice. If doing them online, and probably having someone do them for you, you will have a bit of a problem. You need a 1095-A form for proof you a supplemental insurance carrier for Medicare, to finish your taxes or the IRS will not take what you file. I just went thru this crap. It's no joke.

Medicare will not automatically send them out to anyone. YOU must call to get it. One form each for you and your spouse or whomever you are filing with. Doing it now could be a problem as it takes a minimum of 15 days to get it... hopefully.

Next year make sure you do it as early as you can after January 1st. The number to call is 1 (800) 633 4227.

Remember this is info only and not to be political in any way. Help keep it out of the Clubhouse so everyone that needs it can find it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-10-2022, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 1095-A is for people who purchase government health insurance, not Medicare. It is not a form you’d fill out yourself. I believe that Medicare should send you a 1095-B form to show coverage.
Did your taxes get rejected? This is from the irs website:

CAUTION: NOT FOR FILING
Form 1095-A is provided here for informational purposes only.
Health Insurance Marketplaces use Form 1095-A to report information on enrollments in a qualified health plan in the individual market through the Marketplace. As the form is to be completed by the Marketplaces, individuals cannot complete and use Form 1095-A available on IRS.gov. Individuals receiving a completed Form 1095-A from the Health Insurance Marketplace will use the information received on the form and the guidance in the instructions to assist them in filing an accurate tax return.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And 1095-C is for those who have health insurance coverage through their employer. Note that none of them (forms -A, -B, or -C) are to be filed with your tax forms - you keep them for your own records.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No, you are wrong Misterp266. It is for anyone on Medicare. I asked and was told that piece if info. Nothing was said about Medicade. Read again what you quoted.... to the end. Mark No and your taxes you file will be rejected by the IRS. That is also a fact. As said the 1095-C is those who have health insurance coverage through their employer.

I talked to two different people at that 800 number above. They only do one person at a time. You have to call the second time for your spouse to get a 1095-A form sent. It was all explained very well on my 1st call. If you don't believe me, make the call, or call the IRS.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 03-10-2022, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've already received my 2021 tax refund (nothing big, about $500) and have never had to provide a 1095 A, B, C, D or any other letter to the IRS. Always got my refund (or they took my check if appropriate) since I started using Medicare. I try hard to come to a net zero on taxes every year.

This year, my state taxes were about $500 to pay and my federal basically covered what I owed the state. Nearly perfect!

Old 03-10-2022, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wonder if it depends on what tax form you are using to file.

Old 03-11-2022, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using the just the Free 1040 form, A I think, with Turbo Tax as usual. Never seen this 1095 deal before now.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 03-11-2022, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you just recently started Medicare and was working before, your company sent in the proof of insurance to the IRS. Again, the forms are for your records and don't need to be sent in by you.

This is from the Medicare website (I think you can see it without being signed in there.)
https://www.medicare.gov/forms-help-...rs-form-1095-b

Qualifying Health Coverage Notice & IRS Form 1095-B
What is it?

The Qualifying Health Coverage (QHC) notice lets you know that your Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance)coverage is considered to be qualifying health coverage under the Affordable Care Act.

If you have Part A, you can ask Medicare to send you an IRS Form 1095-B. In general, you don't need this form to file your federal taxes.

Note
Part A coverage (including coverage through a Medicare Advantage plan) is considered qualifying health coverage. Want to learn more about Form 1095-B and qualifying health coverage? Get official information from the IRS.

Who sends it?

Medicare. Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to ask for a copy of your IRS Form 1095-B. TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.

What should I do if I get this notice?

Keep your Form 1095-B with your other important tax information, like your W-2 form and other tax records.

You don’t need to:
Take any immediate action.
Send this form to the IRS when you file your taxes.
Send this form back to Medicare.

If you had health coverage other than Medicare during the past tax year:
Your other health coverage provider may send you a separate Form 1095-B.
Contact the health care provider if you have questions about the coverage they provided.
If you need a replacement IRS Form 1095-B, call 1-800-MEDICARE.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I've already received my 2021 tax refund (nothing big, about $500) and have never had to provide a 1095 A, B, C, D or any other letter to the IRS. Always got my refund (or they took my check if appropriate) since I started using Medicare. I try hard to come to a net zero on taxes every year.

This year, my state taxes were about $500 to pay and my federal basically covered what I owed the state. Nearly perfect!
I have already filed my taxes in late January, did them myself as always on HR Block online account, and have received my refunds, Federal and State about 3 weeks ago. Did not have or need the form you mentioned. I have had Medicare for 5 years and have had no issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis H. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 09:42 AM

Sorry, I attached this to the wrong quote, I am agreeing with The Champ on saying the form 1095A was not required on my filing. Here is what I pulled from the IRS website.

Purpose of Form:

Form 1095-A is used to report certain information to the IRS about individuals who enroll in a qualified health plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Form 1095-A is also furnished to individuals to allow them to take the premium tax credit, to reconcile the credit on their returns with advance payments of the premium tax credit (advance credit payments), and to file an accurate tax return.

Who Must File:

Health Insurance Marketplaces must file Form 1095-A to report information on all enrollments in qualified health plans in the individual market through the Marketplace. Do not file a Form 1095-A for a catastrophic health plan or a separate dental policy (called a "stand-alone dental plan" in these instructions).