Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-26-2022, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Help with clutch selection.

I installed the McLeod RST dual disc street clutch on my 1965 GTO build with a 1969 428 that has been modified with Edelbrock Head, Electronic Ignition, Holly Sniper EFI, Tremec 5-Spead, and a lot more items. It has a little over 500HP and close to 600 FT/LBS of torque. I wanted a clutch that was easy to push, very bad lower back and knees, with a smooth engagement that could handle the torque. After weeks of research, I decided on the McLeod RST. I got the easy push but not the smooth engagement. The clutch was broken in according to the company's instructions and had gotten fairly smooth, not perfect, but tolerable. Now after the car sat all winter it feels more like a ceramic clutch when it engages. I used the stock flywheel, so I don't know if I am not driving enough, and I am getting rust or corrosion on the flywheel causing it to grab, or if it is because the clutch disc is not sprung.

I am in the market for a different clutch assembly where I can maintain the easy push and get the smooth engagement I am wanting. I have narrowed it down to two clutches based on recommendation on this forum. I would like to hear from people with real world experience with these two clutches and how you like them. Or maybe even a clutch I had completely overlooked.

The first is the CenterForce Dual Friction clutch and the other is the Ram Clutches Force 9.5 Dual Disc, 75-2410, which comes with a new aluminum flywheel. The difference between the Ram and the McLeod is the Ram has a sprung hub where the McLeod does not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-26-2022, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not found the need for a dual disc with that HP TQ range on the street.Are you racing or street driving?That will be the deciding factor IMO,Tom

Old 06-26-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I have not found the need for a dual disc with that HP TQ range on the street.Are you racing or street driving?That will be the deciding factor IMO,Tom
It is strictly street driven. The dual disc was not for the HP but for a weak back. A strong clutch with a hard push tears my back up. The McLeod has a lighter push than my old V-6 did. Very nice and easy on the linkage, knees, and back.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-26-2022, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a RAM pressure plate and basic organic street disc behind my 505 and it has held up just fine. Honestly I think a big-power engine is easier on the clutch on street tires than something with less powerful. With my old Chevy 350, I had to rev it up to 5000 RPM, drop the clutch and floor it to spin the tires. With the 505 I just let the clutch out under light throttle and then hammer it after the clutch fully engages, the tires just light right up and the clutch lives an easy life by comparison.

Old 06-26-2022, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put the Centerforce dual friction in the wife’s car. Nice pedal effort, smooth engagement & seems to hold way better than the tires. �� I think it should work good for you.

Murg

Old 06-26-2022, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I have a RAM pressure plate and basic organic street disc behind my 505 and it has held up just fine. Honestly I think a big-power engine is easier on the clutch on street tires than something with less powerful. With my old Chevy 350, I had to rev it up to 5000 RPM, drop the clutch and floor it to spin the tires. With the 505 I just let the clutch out under light throttle and then hammer it after the clutch fully engages, the tires just light right up and the clutch lives an easy life by comparison.
Thanks, I appreciate the information.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-26-2022, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I put the Centerforce dual friction in the wife’s car. Nice pedal effort, smooth engagement & seems to hold way better than the tires. �� I think it should work good for you.

Murg
I appreciate the information. I almost went with the CenterForce Dual Friction when I bought the McLeod. I wish I did and save myself a lot of headaches. Some people report vibrations with this clutch. Have you ever had any issues?
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-26-2022, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're happy with the McLeod pedal pressure, call them and see if they have different discs with a "less grabby" composition. Higher horsepower rating = less smooth. A dual disc clutch should be able to handle your power with a pretty mild disc.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 06-26-2022, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
If you're happy with the McLeod pedal pressure, call them and see if they have different discs with a "less grabby" composition. Higher horsepower rating = less smooth. A dual disc clutch should be able to handle your power with a pretty mild disc.

Eric
That is a good idea. I will call them and see what they say.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-27-2022, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrisk View Post
I appreciate the information. I almost went with the CenterForce Dual Friction when I bought the McLeod. I wish I did and save myself a lot of headaches. Some people report vibrations with this clutch. Have you ever had any issues?
Dale

I ran two of the Mcleod RST dual disc setup and had chatter problems with both. I went with an ACT clutch. That would be too strong for you though. The Mcleod dual disc is a very easy to push clutch. This one you have has organic disc which should be fine. Maybe you need to drive it a bit more. Hopefully there is no oil on the disc/flywheel. I went back and forth with emails to the Mcleod rep on my chatter problems and got no where.
Let us know how the call goes to Mcleod!

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am using the American Powertrain clutch that they recommended. So far so good. I was afraid of holding power and such but it seems to be ok. Pedal is as easy as I feel it will get for this kind of holding power. Truthfully I think its just a Centerforce clutch but I dont know.

Old 06-27-2022, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
I ran two of the Mcleod RST dual disc setup and had chatter problems with both. I went with an ACT clutch. That would be too strong for you though. The Mcleod dual disc is a very easy to push clutch. This one you have has organic disc which should be fine. Maybe you need to drive it a bit more. Hopefully there is no oil on the disc/flywheel. I went back and forth with emails to the Mcleod rep on my chatter problems and got no where.
Let us know how the call goes to Mcleod!
When I first put in theMcLeod it chattered pretty good. But as it broke in the chatter had almost went away. It was always worse in reverse, and it is still worse in reverse. Now it is chattering worse than it did during break in period. I have not driven it much the last couple of years, too many conflicts. Now when it chatters it hits so hard it feels like the transmission is being ripped out. It might be a good idea to be patient and try to drive it this year and see if it is just corrosion on the flywheel. I would imagine these iron flywheels aren’t designed to sit months at a time.
Thanks for the info,
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-27-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I am using the American Powertrain clutch that they recommended. So far so good. I was afraid of holding power and such but it seems to be ok. Pedal is as easy as I feel it will get for this kind of holding power. Truthfully I think its just a Centerforce clutch but I dont know.
I did the same thing. I bought the American Powertrain 5-speed conversion and used their clutch that they recommended. It was painted Kermit frog green and was a ceramic clutch. It was horrible. It took two men and a boy to push it in and the engagement was either fully engaged or not. There was no feathering the clutch for a smooth engagement. When you would let the clutch out it would engage with a hard hit. I looked on their website and their current clutches are CenterForce clutches.
Thanks for the info,
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-27-2022, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Dale
Dale, no issues to report. It’s behind a probably 450 HP / 500 ft/lb 455.

The way you describe yours getting smoother then worse makes me wonder if you have something else going on.

Maybe oil getting on it or rust from setting a lot. Does it get better or worse the more you drive it?

Murf

Old 06-27-2022, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My son runs a McLeod in his mustang. Was supposed to be the street level single disc version, organic material and diaphragm pressure plate. McLeod states that pedal pressure is only slightly increased over stock but when I drive the car I find it's greatly increased over stock. Long stop and go driving around town and I grow tired of it. A little too stiff for my liking.
I doesn't chatter however and has worked flawless for the last 3 years with quite a few drag strip passes mixed in.

I'm more of a Centerforce fan. I've run the Centerforce II clutch in my wifes daily driver for the last 6 years and it's been perfect, with pedal effort so easy you can push it down with your hand, and my wife has no complaints driving it at all. No chatter with that one either and over 50k miles.

I've also run Ram and Zoom in other cars and like those but they are much older setups so can't comment on what new setups might be like now.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-27-2022, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Dale, no issues to report. It’s behind a probably 450 HP / 500 ft/lb 455.

The way you describe yours getting smoother then worse makes me wonder if you have something else going on.

Maybe oil getting on it or rust from setting a lot. Does it get better or worse the more you drive it?

Murf
I don’t know, I haven’t drove it this year. Just started it and backed it out of the garage to clean the garage, then pulled it back in. It was absolutely horrible. I cleaned it up the other day to get it out and drive it, but as always, something else came up. I will try and gets some miles and shift cycles to see if it calms dow,
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-27-2022, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
My son runs a McLeod in his mustang. Was supposed to be the street level single disc version, organic material and diaphragm pressure plate. McLeod states that pedal pressure is only slightly increased over stock but when I drive the car I find it's greatly increased over stock. Long stop and go driving around town and I grow tired of it. A little too stiff for my liking.
I doesn't chatter however and has worked flawless for the last 3 years with quite a few drag strip passes mixed in.

I'm more of a Centerforce fan. I've run the Centerforce II clutch in my wifes daily driver for the last 6 years and it's been perfect, with pedal effort so easy you can push it down with your hand, and my wife has no complaints driving it at all. No chatter with that one either and over 50k miles.

I've also run Ram and Zoom in other cars and like those but they are much older setups so can't comment on what new setups might be like now.
I had considered the CenterForce II because it seems perfect. My big concern with it is CenterForce rates it at 572 ft/lbs of torque and DeskTop Dyno rates my car at 580 ft/lbs at the crank. If their rating is rear wheel torque, then it would work fine.
Dale

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 06-27-2022, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I had considered the CenterForce II because it seems perfect. My big concern with it is CenterForce rates it at 572 ft/lbs of torque and DeskTop Dyno rates my car at 580 ft/lbs at the crank. If their rating is rear wheel torque, then it would work fine.
Dale
That's close enough that I wouldn't worry about it personally.

You'd really have to be taxing the setup to see the limits, meaning sticky tires, sorted suspension, and high rpm clutch dumps on a prepped surface. So unless you plan to drag race the car and get serious about 60 foot times, I'd be just fine with it.

For a fun street car it would be perfect. That Centerforce II was actually the clutch many of my buddies chose back in the day and they had some stout legit 11 second street cars back then. That was when we'd go to the track, uncork headers and bolt on a pair of slicks and then whale on the car. Those clutches always performed fine. In fact I remember a certain person breaking a muncie and then a super T-10 a couple times on the starting line but the clutch was still reused, eventually going to a Nash 5 speed and shooting it with a 125 shot going very low 11's. I think he was way beyond the limits of what that clutch was supposed to take at that point.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

almost any quality street clutch will be fine if you are on street tires and do not go out of your way to destroy the clutch.

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2022, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
almost any quality street clutch will be fine if you are on street tires and do not go out of your way to destroy the clutch.
Yep, street tires are the real equalizer