Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-17-2023, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to buy the non ethanol premix 2 stroke for my weed eater, and chain saw because sometimes they will sit for months. It does make starting them after long inactivity much easier.

They're in the process of building a new Sheetz in Springfield OH, and they have 90 non ethanol that I'm going to at least try in my 4 cycle lawn equipment just to see if it improves the performance. I'll probably give it a try in my daily driver, supposed to at least give 7% more mileage. Trouble is it's probably 20% more expensive.............

Speaking of Ultra 94, does anyone remember Sunoco 260? That did make a difference in how my GTO's ran, and it smelled great.

I had some E 10 in a generator that had sat about a year. I ran it out of fuel last time I used it by shutting off the fuel petcock. When I went to start it after turning the fuel back on it would not even pop, or try to run. I drained some of it out and tossed some on the ground and tried to light it, couldn't get it to light any more than if it was water. Fresh fuel, it started first pull.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-17-2023 at 09:23 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

Speaking of Ultra 94, does anyone remember Sunoco 260? That did make a difference in how my GTO's ran, and it smelled great.
Yeah, that's going back to when gas was .35 cents a gallon lol

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

We have some "Cam2" branded Shell stuff at a local pump here. My understanding is that this is Sunoco260.

I used to run this stuff in my #62 headed 455 at about a 1:1 with 91 e10. During the hot summer months I'd have to run nearly a full tank of the stuff to keep the engine from detonating...at a poultry cost of $7.50/gallon.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 92 octane corn free gas in my AO, it's what I use for the TA and my yard tools. So are we saying it doesn't matter? Or, It's even better for a high CR car motor? I'm confused.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-18-2023, 12:52 AM
Senior Chief

I can buy 93 octane (or 98 RON as the rating is here) without ethanol. I use it for my gardening equipment and for the GTO. The GTO does run on the 90 octane stuff (the cheaper euro 95 sold here) which contains 10% ethanol but I feel the GTO runs better on the euro 98 stuff. Although that maybe due to poor carb tuning and not efficient timing rather than the 3 additional points of octane and lack of ethanol.

If I drive over to Germany i can buy Aral 102 (97 PON rating) for the same price 98 costs here, i might go and try some of that this summer to see if I can feel a change in performance.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
I have 92 octane corn free gas in my AO, it's what I use for the TA and my yard tools. So are we saying it doesn't matter? Or, It's even better for a high CR car motor? I'm confused.
If I had ethanol free available to me, I'd most likely use it if the octane rating was high enough, but I don't find it a necessity. I've had no ill affects at all running the 10-15% stuff at the pumps now for almost 2 decades. I do have things richened up a pinch on the cars as a result, but again, they all run perfectly fine on it, and I even get very good gas mileage with it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 05-18-2023, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"You haven’t found that ethanol damages the small passages in aluminum carburetors over time and especially in long storage situations?"

I have observed any actual "damage to the passages" but I've seen PLENTY of small power equipment carburetors clogged up when fuel is left in them for a long time. Most recently a good friend needed his standby generator during a power outage. It refused to start. He brought it over, I removed the carburetor and it was completely plugged up with "apple jelly" and white residue on everything. I had trouble removing the the fuel inlet needle from the seat it was glued in so hard.

A trip to the ultra-sonic (heated) cleaner and a couple of hours later we were putting it back together. Didn't have to buy a single part for it as everything cleaned up fine.

I've been using the samer Generac standby generator for over 20 years and flawless. It gets a test session for 15 minutes once a month, and every single time I shut it down I turn off the fule to the carb and just as it dies out I apply the choke to suck all the fuel out of it. Next time I need it just turn the fuel on, count to 30, pull it once and it fires right up. It's had a steady diet of E-10 pump gas it's entire life and never faltered once. The key here is to run it often, add fuel back to it to keep it full, and run it dry when you are done with it........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: