Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-09-2023, 01:31 AM

Default 16" factory wheels

Just noticed several factory mag 16" wheel variations and wondered about bolt pattern and back spacing interchangability with earlier pontiacs. 15" tires are getting hard to come by. I have a 64 14" GTO, 66 14" Star Chief, 71 15" Formula, and 77 13" Astre/Starbird and several Gen II Firebird hulks. Mostly with factory mag variations. I dont care much for larger than 16" .. some of the 16s are nice looking tho. Looking at changing the Astre to 5 lug, possibly with Firebird 16;s if bolt pattern back-spacing would work. Was looking for a wheel/tire interchange book but cant seem to find one.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are a number of online charts showing what cars use what bolt pattern, but you do have to dig through a bunch of irrelevant information. Search on 'wheel bolt pattern guide'. Here's one: https://www.uswheeladapters.com/wp-c...-Guide-1-1.pdf This chart doesn't show back spacing but does show hub diameter, which you also have to look out for. I haven't seen a list that shows wheel diameter applications, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there someplace.

The Star Chief's 5x5 bolt pattern isn't as common for cars as the 5x4.75 used on the GTO and Formula (a lot of Chevy half ton pickups did use 5x5.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2023, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Firebird 16's will bolt up to your '71 Formula and your '64 GTO because they are 5x4.75 bolt pattern.

The question is whether the backspacing will work for your choice of tires. IIRC, 3rd gen 16's have a little over 5" BS and can work well. 4th gen's have too much BS - something like 7". I ran 4th gen 16's on my '99 Chevy S10 and they had the perfect BS for oversize tires on my truck

16's also have a very limited selection of tires at this time (other than truck tires).

I have a '64 GTO and a '72 Camaro and have run the GTO with 14's, 15's, and now 17's and the Camaro with 14's, 16's and now 17's.

Photo of my wife's Camaro with 16's with 5" BS. We went to 17's on the Camaro because the tire sizes were extremely limited.

Never thought about the 16's on the GTO because even a 245/50/16 was too short (IMO) at under 25" tall.

As far as the Astre goes - I don't know anything about what would fit.

I think your Star Chief takes a 5x5 bolt pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro 7.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	613922  

Old 06-09-2023, 02:55 PM

Well I have a bunch of cars I dont really want sitting on flats. Think Im going to block them up so I can get tires on and off with my Milwaukee 1/2 impact easily. Fix bead leaks etc. Shovel new stone when I see grass starting to grow under. Put back on but leave car up enough so rest on blocks not tires. Just got a rig to mount/dismount and am attaching to heavy duty plastic pallet for a home "tire machine". Mostly factory mags, even my derby car( a chrysler ) Want to work wheels with sandblastercabinet .. got a wheel spinner for. See if I can do the Rally2 paint job, tidy up others. Thanks for info on 5x5 Star Chief wheels, it has stocker steel wheels that I was looking at changing but got beautiful factory hubcaps that match it perfectly(red center, car is white/red interior) so will not, have to blast and paint to save. Might use adhesion promoter with correct Ames paint then clear. Trying to save a set of Old SSII (chrome ones, rusty). Will have to mount up a set of something to fit newly worked rolling chassis they belong to so I can get in basement. I have 1 set of aluminum factory slot 16 that arent terrible looking on 80TA. I like the newer 5-spoke factory, figures the backspacing wont be feasible. I did just buy a new set of 14" Uniroyal Tiger Paws 350$ish online for the 84 Cutty but wished I had looked more as I believe they will look small on car .. are 205/70/14 think car had 195/75/14 oem ... I had 235/60/15 on an 86 back in the day, looked sweet-occasional rub .. late 80's, unbelievably those tires are still alive not weathercracked, forget why I took off, prbably leave tread on the street 1st burnout . Firestones.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:23 PM
Boost Engineer

The 1984 TA Aluminum Wheel is very close on my 64 GTO convertible due to the front lower wheel house "lip".
Back spacing is not an issue on the rear because of the custom 9" Ford rear with the Explorer rear disc brakes.

I will be changing to a different wheel for the convertible smaller outside diameter and correct offset using a 17" or 18" wheel at some point.
I swapped to the TA 16" wheels many years ago. A LOT better offerings out there for a GTO today with 4 wheel disc brakes.
The clearance issues are the front lower rear fender metal as it curves back forward.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64 front wheel lip.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	613955  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Th factory 16 GTA wheels come in a "Front" almost a zero offset and a "rear" that offsets to the inside a lot.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-10-2023, 12:32 PM

Eyeballing 2 baby Blazers at junkyard for my 5 lug conversion on Astre. Wonder if late 16's back spacing would work/be helpful if I tub it with those parts. Looks like bolt pattern right. Blazers have rear disc. The back cargo floor needed to be replaced anyway. Dont want to hack fenders. Hope to be a 2 seater sedan delivery. Guess that would leave problem with front supposedly factory Chevelle style suspension I dont want to mess with much, I see custom spindles are available. Dont need fat tires in front .. be nice in rear .. then again I like 4 the same Michies. Maybe fat and skinnies for raceday.