Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:37 PM

Default '77 T/A Mirror Glass Replacement

So I moved recently and towed my beloved 1977 SE T/A Bandit to my new home. Thought everything was great, no damage during the tow process.
Or so I thought.
Uncovered the car today to fire it up and drain the old gas from last year, and see that the Driver's Side Mirror is cracked pretty bad. No way, and I mean no way (Sheriff Buford T) can I determine how the hell it happened.
Anyway I see replacement mirror GLASS is available from multiple sources, as long as the backing plate is intact, which it is.
So any input on how to replace it - just pry it off and stick on the new one? Or is it more involved?

Old 06-20-2023, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Many aftermarket have partial image in ads covered up because it usually has brand names on them. Many may not care, but it's also deceptive for those that do.

Pull your mirror down and see if it is one that the cable remote can be withdrawn through both the mirror head and support castings. That way you can simply swapped the internals if you find another good mirror glass that can also be pulled down. It is perhaps also easier to work on the mirror with the backing plates and cable removed. Also, if you like to keep dated-coded original GM glass, it can be handy to keep eye out for suitable date glass and swap into painted body at a later date, using stick on glass until then.

Otherwise, they are normally just attached in 4 locations. Broken already so won't need to be careful to save the glass, just care not to cut yourself! Be sure to measure, although LH side isn't as critical since all were 5-1/8" diagonally original fitment. Also, not all measure diagonally, although the measurement is similar. I can't suggest any brands, and would need a sample to get one cut anyway. Burco is common and has etched logo and details, often covered by sellers. OER is blank, as is TPP.

Last edited by Trevor78; 06-20-2023 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:01 PM

FYI follow up.
Removed broken pieces of mirror, easily done by prying them off the backing plate. OEM Mirror glass is basically glued to it at the 4 corners. Cleaned the mounting pads of adhesive. Ordered a replacement - there are a ton of sources that carry exact size replacement glass. As long as the dimensions are correct, buy the most cost effective replacement under $20. Don't pay 2x as much for the same thing, as shipping an exceed the part cost depending on the source.