Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-06-2023, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Most all fabricated covers that I have seen do not have a flange lip for mounting which use short bolts like a factory one.
This in effect makes the covers both wider and longer and brings the valve cover at least 1/4" closer to the firewall..

I have seen folks having to send out there Aluminum plate valve covers to be modified with a angle back there to clear the wiper motor.
I had this same exact problem, mine barely cleared the alternator and would not clear the washer pump. I don't know how high ports fit but I ended up using Butler's $45 covers for the baffled hole for use with an evac system.

Old 07-07-2023, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20ta2 View Post
Can you post a pic of your wiper motor valve cover clearance? Mine hit by 1/2 inch at least not sure why you have clearance and mine won't work! I have the small booster so that clears just fine, im using butler supplied mighty mounts for the engine but I can't imagine that would be any issue.
I spoke too soon. I put my engine in with a steel valve cover the same height as my fabricated valve cover on driver side. Did not want to dent it.
Steve's post got me thinking and I went out and put my aluminum valve cover on the driver side.
Its hits the booster but look like it will miss my wiper motor by less than 1/4".
So, new valve covers or smaller booster.

Old 07-07-2023, 12:59 PM
Senior Chief

My son and I just installed my 500” IA High Port engine in his ‘69 GTO. It has the cast aluminum Pontiac logo valve covers with a 1” spacer to clear the T&D rockers. Wiper motor is in the stock location and nothing hit.
I also run a factory timing cover with the top port blocked off in it and the crossover. Never had a cooling issue with it but the block is dry decked and we have -10 coolant lines crossed over in the rear.