Old 05-20-2024, 10:10 AM
Senior Chief

Default Convertible Top window

Were any factory convertable top windows glass for 65,66? Glass or plastic - are you supposed to unzip window and lay in well area? What about aftermarket top windows ?

Old 05-20-2024, 08:20 PM

I'm not an expert in '65 or '66, though I did install a top on a '67 Bonneville many (many) years ago, replacing the original, and that was plastic, as is my '63. My brother has a '65 Olds Starfire, and his rear window is glass, as is our '68 De Ville.

Rule of thumb is:

Plastic - unzip first, after releasing the header latches (very important to take the tension off the zipper).

Glass: do not unzip before folding the top. Don't. Not good (learned the hard way...with my brother's Starfire; my dad asked me - I was just a kid - and I guessed...incorrectly. There are still shards of glass in the trunk).

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE