Old 06-16-2024, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default WTB 1st Gen Firebird rear end

Looking for a rear axle for my son's 69 Firebird. It's currently got a 2.56 gear in it; we swapped it to a 4 speed so we need a 3.08-3.55 ratio. Don't care if its posi or not. Would also consider 71-74 Ventura rear, but I'm told that requires a different drive shaft. Looking for something I can bolt in and go, but not a $1000 rear end either.

I'm in West Tennessee; prefer not to ship, as that will be expensive.

Thanks,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 06-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An 8.5 from Any X body 70-74 is a drop in. Ventura II, Nova, Olds Omega, 73-74 Buick Apollo. Driveshaft should be direct fit.
Do Not bend the bottom shock plate if your rear has 5 leafs vs stock set up, This moves the plate away from the center bolt that lines it all up.

Old 06-17-2024, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a nice 69 housing 336 posi i would like $500 for. IF you prepay i will deliver to norwalk ohio in a few weeks. its listed in the firebird parts section.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 06-17-2024, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
An 8.5 from Any X body 70-74 is a drop in. Ventura II, Nova, Olds Omega, 73-74 Buick Apollo. Driveshaft should be direct fit.
Do Not bend the bottom shock plate if your rear has 5 leafs vs stock set up, This moves the plate away from the center bolt that lines it all up.
Good to know! I knew the X body rear would bolt in, but for some reason, I've always thought it required a shorter drive shaft.

I've run across the thicker spring issue before. I had to make spacers for my 74 GTO.

Thanks,
Importsmasher

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 06-17-2024, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Good to know! I knew the X body rear would bolt in, but for some reason, I've always thought it required a shorter drive shaft.

I've run across the thicker spring issue before. I had to make spacers for my 74 GTO.

Thanks,
Importsmasher
Totally Disagree!
First, the 8.5 X-body rears did not come out til the '72 models were introduced. The '71 Ventura II's were introduced early in the Spring of '70 & ALL of this extended '71 model Nova or Ventura rear are Chevy 8.2 10 bolts.

further, when the '72 model Novas & Venturas came out they had a one year mono leaf 8.5 X-body rear. Usually 2.73 or 3.08 peg legs. I've personally pulled multiple dozen of the '72 only 8.5 X-body rear cores to build up with posi's & a few w spools. That noted have built many more of the '73+ multileaf 8.5 X-body rears. All of the '72-74 8.5 X-body rears came stock with a small Chevy (Spicer 1310) ujoint flange . Many of these early 8.5 X-body cores I ended up building with with the later 3R pinion flange.

As far as driveshaft length goes, a STOCK length '68-71 Nova driveshaft WILL have to be shortened 3/4" when one is installing an 8.5 X-body rear in place of an original 8.2 10 bolt. IF that Nova/Ventura or early F-body is running really TALL tires, that 3/4" of an inch may not be needed & one can get away with less, often 1/2". In that case one needs to measure with the car on a 4 post lift. For many many years in building up both 8.5 A-body & 8.5 X-body rears for performance use, I had a local old machine shop cut down stock driveshafts. This made it easy for the purchasers of my rears. Many times wish this shop was still in business as they were a fantastic resource.

Old 06-17-2024, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
i have a nice 69 housing 336 posi i would like $500 for. IF you prepay i will deliver to norwalk ohio in a few weeks. its listed in the firebird parts section.
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately I won't be at Norwalk, and shipping would probably be expensive.

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am