Old 06-14-2024, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbirds View Post
Couldn't agree more. In August of 1970 I was shopping for a replacement for my 69 Mustang Mach 1 and finally decided on a Firebird Formula 400, 4 speed, silver with red interior - and couldn't find one or order one (too late in the model year). A salesman told me they had a Trans Am out back that I could get a great deal on. For whatever reason I didn't even know about the TA, but walked out back to take a look....and almost didn't even take it for a test drive. Garish stripes, spoilers everywhere, shaker hood scoop - my first reaction was that it was a cartoon car with every muscle car cliche combined on the same car. Took a test drive, couldn't stop grinning, found one with a 4 speed at another dealer the next day and bought it on the spot (at a huge discount). After a few weeks it became the best looking car I have ever owned, and my favorite muscle car of all time. In 1999 searched for and found a project car with the same specs - blue/blue with M21 four speed and a console - and spent 2 years restoring it. The 70 TA is still my favorite car - and I almost didn't even sit in it because of a first impression.

Man that silver w red interior would have been a stunning car.
What a great color combo that would have been.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 06-14-2024, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71firebird400 View Post
Notice how the majority of people who claim to like no-spoiler seem to be talking themselves into thinking they look better.

Go ask someone who doesn't own one of these cars, I bet they'll say the spoiler looks better
I don’t own one of these cars yet. (But am looking ). I prefer one without the spoiler.

If you look at pictures of the Stephens RaV car they raced it sometimes without the spoiler and sometimes with it. Differnt tech guys would allow it and others wouldn’t hard to believe today it made a difference in pro stock but it did back then . So it was even a controversial topic back then .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 06-15-2024, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
I was going to put a rear spoiler on my 73 Formula. I had a correct early spoiler for it. In the end, I decided against it. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. The uncluttered lines are beautiful, and the no spoiler look goes well with the dog dishes. Just a no-nonsense look. I love it!
Good decision! Looks awesome with the no spoiler and dog dishes.

Old 06-15-2024, 11:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My car didn't have spoiler but I seen trans am as a boy and wanted the rear tail , so my dad and I went looking for one. It wasn't easy but we got one.. The family ra formula was gold but I had it painted black I like the spoiler and it does put pressure down on rear of car for grip. The 79 ends personally look better and more uniform from the side view because they line up with chrome bumper. I like the front spoiler too. I think it looks way cool on a formula 400. Was the front ever an option on a formula? I'll probably go back to.stock but still not 100% sure yet. Car isn't going to be for sale in future either.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine doesn't have the rear spoiler and sometimes I wish it did., but keeping it original so I would never add one. As an old high school friend once told me, the back looks plain, but the front makes up for it.