Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 AM

Default Pictures of of Eaton Detroit Springs on the ground

Eaton Detroit Springs installed Full size spare with a full tank of gas. Settled down to about 1/2 higher than the OEM springs I took out. Tracks handles and drives much better. Different part for the L/R sits about 1/2 inch lower on the right side, even when I'm in the car. Very happy with how it came out, it may settle down a bit more. Looks higher when I'm taking the picture at a lower level shooting up than it is. Flash on as its was almost dark shows everything in the wheels wells.

Eaton Part number MC 1304 MC 1282, Stock ride height

Last edited by REFORMULATED; 09-17-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Senior Chief

I redid all the installation hardware on mine last week because the bushings were shot and creaky. I left the springs alone because they were fine, just changed the pads and so on. Even re-using the old springs, the ride height was noticeably higher than I wanted at first, but in the last five days as I've driven it things have settled some.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 AM

Default Opened up the hood vents, let the flames begin

Going to add Ram Air, and RA intake with divorced heat crossover, interested to see how my 455 responds and if it helps the heat soak we see with crappy CA fuel. Was messy and a bit scarey at first. Since my car is NOM going to make it they way I would have ordered it new, don't flame me to hard, will do my best to make everything look as OEM as possible, why I bought this car vs an OMN one so I can make it the way I want with no guilt. My body guy will shoot in the inlets for me when I have him do some other things in the near future. Whole process took an afternoon with a couple of cold ones.
Taped everything well with delicate surface tape and carefully cut out the block off's with a Dremmel, used a flat and rat-tail files to profile the openings.

Used SEM high build primer to fill in any file-sanding marks and sanded carefully with 400 wet. Applied two coats sanded in between.

Back taped a narrow reveal with fine line tape and shot over the primer with some SEM Trim Black.

Before a good car wash, white residue is sanding dust.

Looks decent after I cleaned it up, but not 100% correct yet.

Media blasted the screens to give them some tooth and shot with SEM etch primer and Trim Black.

Hope it helps others who are thinking of doing the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to REFORMULATED For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

looks stock, nice job!!

Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wait a second!? ~ this car has changed owners?

I totally missed this...

Did a correct vinyl rear "hump" cover ever get installed ~ or is there just carpet there like the older pictures show?
(Just curious, I think many people have forgotten that the early cars didn't actually have the carpet inbetween the seats.)

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
wait a second!? ~ this car has changed owners?

I totally missed this...

Did a correct vinyl rear "hump" cover ever get installed ~ or is there just carpet there like the older pictures show?
(Just curious, I think many people have forgotten that the early cars didn't actually have the carpet inbetween the seats.)
I bought the car from Chris in June, turns out we grew up in the same neighborhood. It has carpet in back, did not know it should be padded vinyl. Do you have a picture you could post that shows what it should look like for reference?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Default lower door panels

restoring my 70 formula. Anyone know where to get those map pockets for the deluxe interior lower door panels?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

rha -- most parts houses sell the hard-molded ones Pontiac switched to in -- I think it was mid-'71. I have a pair of the older, padded kind I might take an offer on if that's what you're looking for. PM me if interested.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMULATED View Post
I bought the car from Chris in June, turns out we grew up in the same neighborhood. It has carpet in back, did not know it should be padded vinyl. Do you have a picture you could post that shows what it should look like for reference?
mine has been out for some time;
I wasn't happy with the cheap vinyl provided with my carpet set, so here is one lousy link which show this;

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...bird-trans-am/

If you really want to see more, I am sure I could load some pics up to my photobucket.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba O'Riley View Post
rha -- most parts houses sell the hard-molded ones Pontiac switched to in -- I think it was mid-'71. I have a pair of the older, padded kind I might take an offer on if that's what you're looking for. PM me if interested.
I am interested if they are for a 70 with deluxe interior. I do have the bottom door panel just not the arm rest/map pockets that get screwed into. That being said I'd still take them if they have those pieces with them. Can I get a picture and a price?

Old 10-13-2013, 02:36 AM

Default Detailed Front Brakes and a Few items

Detailed front brakes and replaced the inner fender rubber flaps. Fighting the staples loose and tight again without damaging the paint on the inner fender wells took some finesse. There was some faint markings on the rotors and I looked at a few posts here and other forums to attempt the correct markings and finish but have no idea if they are really correct. Once the wheels go on it's all moot anyway. Cleaned everything with a wire wheel on a drill, used 3M Metal prep and VHT grey primer and VHT cast blast on rotors and caliper. Have some new dust covers on order but in no hurry to replace.
Before

After

Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 AM

Default Changed Rear Gears, Detailed Rear Axle, Corrected Pinion Angle Issue

When I changed my rear gears the shop confirmed the pinion angle was at 1.5 degrees up, causing a slight shudder under hard acceleration, it should be 1.5-2.0 degrees down. Installed Custom Works Products Comp Axle Pad/Locators and 3 degree wedges, shudder is now gone. Added a set of Bilsteins and painted the boots and housings grey to look close to stock while I was there. Rear end is much more solid and planted, handles better too. Used Solvents, wire brushes, a wire wheel on a drill, and a pressure washer to clean all the gunk. Then shot it with Black SEM self etch primer and Napa Semour Chassis Black. Was a very messy job but was worth the effort. Will touch up some of the undercoat in the middle and call it a job.

Custom Works Products Comp Axle Pad/Locators:

Last edited by REFORMULATED; 10-22-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:32 PM

Default Ram Air Conversion Complete

Finally finished the project, runs better with the new Repop Ram Air intake, added a bit more timing and no more heat soak issues. Really notice the difference on the freeway. Found a correct air cleaner with chrome lid, do not think the decal is correct but looks OK for now. I gasket matched the intake and clear zinc plated the crossover tins. Shot some spray rubber on the ends of the boots to keep them from chaffing the air cleaner pan. Soda blasted the pan and used SEM self etch primer and Duplicolor acrylic lacquer.

70 Formula 400
69 Grand Prix 428
70 Buick GS 455 Convertible
66 Oldsmobile Toronado
Always looking for more
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats interesting about the heat soak.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why would you put that "400-4 RAM AIR" decal on and ruin the looks of the underside...

Can't see the decal you used on the side, but it's too close to the snorkel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Held for Ransom For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 08:11 PM

It came on the lid, I did not add it, need to get some goo gone to take it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Why would you put that "400-4 RAM AIR" decal on and ruin the looks of the underside...

Can't see the decal you used on the side, but it's too close to the snorkel.

70 Formula 400
69 Grand Prix 428
66 Oldsmobile Toronado
Always looking for more
Old 11-10-2013, 03:41 AM

Default Does look better without decal

70 Formula 400
69 Grand Prix 428
66 Oldsmobile Toronado
Always looking for more
Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMULATED View Post
Going to add Ram Air, and RA intake with divorced heat crossover, interested to see how my 455 responds and if it helps the heat soak we see with crappy CA fuel. Was messy and a bit scarey at first. Since my car is NOM going to make it they way I would have ordered it new, don't flame me to hard, will do my best to make everything look as OEM as possible, why I bought this car vs an OMN one so I can make it the way I want with no guilt. My body guy will shoot in the inlets for me when I have him do some other things in the near future. Whole process took an afternoon with a couple of cold ones.
Taped everything well with delicate surface tape and carefully cut out the block off's with a Dremmel, used a flat and rat-tail files to profile the openings.

Used SEM high build primer to fill in any file-sanding marks and sanded carefully with 400 wet. Applied two coats sanded in between.

Back taped a narrow reveal with fine line tape and shot over the primer with some SEM Trim Black.

Before a good car wash, white residue is sanding dust.

Looks decent after I cleaned it up, but not 100% correct yet.

Media blasted the screens to give them some tooth and shot with SEM etch primer and Trim Black.

Hope it helps others who are thinking of doing the same.
What is holding down the metal screens inside the scoops?