THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
drivetrain numbers match .
Does this mean it has a replacement VIN?

Old 06-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Just curious. If I owned a car, free and clear, and it went through a flood, and I did the rebuild on it, why would the title change?

Typically, if you claim it through insurance and deem it a total loss, the car becomes their property. And by law they can only sell it (back to the owner or otherwise) with a salvage title.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car has a clean S.C. title which is pretty hard to get seeing as how it came from a no title state. The car had so much bondo in it when I went to have the drivers quarter replaced that I just had everything replaced from the doors back. It’s got a clean title but if you wanna split hairs it’s salvaged/rebuikt

Old 06-12-2020, 11:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you think about it cars of this age could have been totaled by an insurance company for a few hundred dollars in the past. Here (Idaho) there is no such thing as a salvage title on an old car just for this reason. That is that a car of low value can be totaled in a fender bender even though nothing beyond cosmetic damage occurred.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So, just out of curiosity... let's say that I buy this GTO with a salvage title... and I bring it home to CT, where they do not issue titles on cars older than 20 years, what happens to the value of this car? Let's say that I drive it for a few years and then decide to sell. There is no longer any record of the savage title, is there?

As an aside, my son's '04 GTO has a salvage title and we got quite a good deal on it from a friend that I trust. He had owned it for a few years and had gone through the car, including swapping the original black interior for red from an '05 parts car. The only repair that he could find evidence of was a repair the rear quarter panel and bumper cover, nothing that would seem enough to total a car that was only a few years old at the time.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would assume still a record of the salvage title but if you were to move that car to Idaho that was mentioned above it looks like you could get a clean title for it and sell it to someone that isn’t going to do a title search. Not ethical but I’m sure it happens

Unfortunately there are probably people that specialize in this type of thing.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You should see the late models that show up on the European market from the States. Polais shops are importing them as salvaged, rebuilding and then selling all over Europe. Two years ago I was looking at 2015 F150 near Warsaw and decided to ask my cousin in OK to run the VIN. Seller did not say a word back when I asked him about the truck being under water in Florida. Brackish water is horrible stuff on the electronics.

Here in Italy a TV crew exposed some small importer/dealers of late model stuff like Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers etc. Man, they showed COPART auction pics and those cars were seriously wrecked. Should have seen the salesman when the reporter busted him. I had already warned my buddies over here to spread the word. It is required in Europe to disclose if vehicle was wrecked but if it came from US most people have no idea how to research. That said, I flew to Phoenix in Apr 2018 to buy a rebuilt titled 2013 F150 that was option/color I wanted and drove to Galveston to ship. The repair work was OK but pass side paint sucked and lots of little things were not done like plastic plugs etc. But, the price I paid was great and I did additional work here and wound up with very nice Lariat 5.0 in Gem Green and saved a bundle. I had seen the wrecked pics on COPART and it was not that bad, pass side doors and fender and some sill work and all was good.

On an old car unless a real collector I would not worry too much but do my homework before buying.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The fact with a salvage or rebuilt title is, I wouldn't buy it. I'm just one person that wouldn't, there are many that will agree with me, thus lowering your buyer pool. Supply and demand are what dictate price. Obviously, the price would be lower. Most people I know would run from that situation. It's just not worth it. At some point, you or a member of your family will have to sell it.

Old 06-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at this car Fred is talking about. It is a really nice car. Clean body, original drivetrain, great options. Mind blowing about the title. Makes no sense.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know there is a member on this site that sold a ( I think a 69 gto) if I remember right he lives in Georgia no title needed. The guy he sold it to got a title in Ohio I think and it came up as a salvage title. From what I remember it was returned and resold for much less. If you Look in the site history you might find it.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
I know there is a member on this site that sold a ( I think a 69 gto) if I remember right he lives in Georgia no title needed. The guy he sold it to got a title in Ohio I think and it came up as a salvage title. From what I remember it was returned and resold for much less. If you press a k in the site history you might find it.
I was an insurance adjustor and head of the auto physical damage claims department of a large NY insurance company as well as owned a dealership. I find this information interesting and disturbing.

Ohio is a state where it is a well known state to "wash" a title. There are people in the industry that fix wrecks and title them in Ohio to obtain a "clean" title. Maryland is one of the tougher states that will brand a title "Parts Only" once a vehicle is totaled. Now, this may have changed in the past few years as I have not followed it in awhile.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

some very interesting points of view! always get a great perspective on this site I tend to think that most old cars have had major repairs done in the course of 40 plus years but when selling it some may not think this was acceptable thanks Fred

Old 06-13-2020, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
I know there is a member on this site that sold a ( I think a 69 gto) if I remember right he lives in Georgia no title needed.
Pretty sure Georgia classic cars have titles.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-13-2020, 01:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 66 GTO I am working on is an AC car. After buying the radiator for it I found it has a non AC core support. The car isn’t rusty so obviously it was wrecked and fixed with non AC parts. The car has been restored a time or two before I got it so who knows. The car has a clean title but somewhere along the line suffered some damage. By today’s standard it would probably have a salvage title.

Same with my 69 Charger- found several colors on that car as well as panel replacements. At what point does a car being taken apart and rebuilt multiple times effect the value ??

Old 06-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Interesting comments on this situation. Supposedly the seller of this car didn't know what the title situation was until he completed the deal on the car when he bought it 9 years ago. Buyer beware, but let me ask you guys how many of you would check the title when buying a car of this type? Be honest.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
I am interested in a GTO that has a rebuilt salvage title. How bad does this affect the value of a car? It was stolen in the seventies and was then recovered without interior. drivetrain numbers match . A very nice car but I am concerned about the title! Thoughts? thank you fred
Are you buying to flip or for yourself? I've bought a couple "Salvage" title vehicles. The prices reflected this. One was a 77 280Z out of an impound lot. Not wrecked, needed a hood, but was quite a chore getting the paper work up to par because it had lien sale papers. The other was a BMW Z3?? Had rear quarter damage, we replaced all the damaged parts and painted to match. Woman who bought was thrilled and knew about the salvage title. Now on an older car like a GTO I would have no problem with a salvage title if the price was right.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 06-13-2020, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m guilty of not checking titles. I’ve bought cars before that have out of state titles the seller never switched. I’ve been lucky on all but one.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:20 PM
Senior Chief

Georgia would not issue me a title on a 69 GMC truck I had purchased. This was about 3 years ago. Everything went off the bill of sale. I asked about it because I wanted to send it to Ohio for my Dad. Ended up selling it local so no issue. I do have a title for my LeMans from the mid 90’s. Not sure when they stopped giving titles for older cars.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bought mine 2 years ago out of Georgia with a title.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-13-2020, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Pretty sure Georgia classic cars have titles.
Georgia does not title cars before 1980. Have bought many there including this Tempest