Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
There doesn't have to be bugs in the wood for them to hammer on it, it doesn't even have to be wood for them to hammer on it. I had one that for like 2 weeks pounded on my stainless chimney flue for my woodburner. The stove pipe ran up the outside of the wall on my bedroom and he would wake me up every morning just after sunup. I think it's to attract females or stake out their territory. You would have thought he'd pound himself silly beating his beak on that pipe. It only happened that one year I lived in that house and after a couple weeks he finally stopped.
Exactly!

This is totally isolated for my home to get hit, must be new to the area or a young one...
Yes, I've read it's a territory deal or a mating thing. I have a painter who lives 1.5 hours away who tends to my home often checking for everything including any rot or damage from the winter months. I pay him to always make certain the home is perfect especially in this climate. No bugs ever..
I'm miffed about having to do a repair on it as stained redwood isn't the easiest to repair and painting it is out of the question for me.
At least you give me some hope that it will stop soon or in a few weeks although there was no activity today.
The one bad thing about staking out a bird with a pump air rifle is the air doesn't last long enough to just sit there and wait without pumping it again and spooking him. I would rather not bring out the 410 shooting against the house.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
It has a volume control but can be turned up so as to be pretty loud. Also has adjustment for how frequently it sounds off. I find it really annoying and I am not a woodpecker. The one I bought is for 1 acre and has two speakers, one on the unit itself, and the other with about 50' of wire so it can be placed on opposite side of house or whatever. Farmers use the larger units to protect thier crops from pest birds and they can cover several acres.
Thanks!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hang some suet in a predetermined area that will give you the best chance to get off a clean shot, then just sit and wait. Make the little bugger come to you. Woodpeckers love suet as much as they love pecking holes in your house. This will also allow you to not have to shoot at your house, LOL!

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by T A 70 View Post
Help me get rid of this little ba$tard; put a 3" hole through my once was PERFECT stained redwood siding along with other smaller peck marks mostly on one side of the house. Looks like it came around the front and started doing the same, but settled on the west side of it. I have covered the 3" hole with a tacked on wood block for now and hung some bright stringers on that side.
As soon as I make the corner on this thing it flies off.
I need a game plan, and will shoot it gladly endangered or not.
Mostly starts hammering in the AM, but no consistant time.

Hide out in the brush freezing my A$$ off until he arrives?

BTW, I've read about the faux owls, snakes, and other remedies recommended on the web but I don't think there's any other way but to kill the thing.

What do you think?
Put out a old lofe of bread and pull out the 12 ga shot gun.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

12 ga for a woodpecker? That's like going fishing for minnows with a boat anchor, LOL!

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
Hang some suet in a predetermined area that will give you the best chance to get off a clean shot, then just sit and wait. Make the little bugger come to you. Woodpeckers love suet as much as they love pecking holes in your house. This will also allow you to not have to shoot at your house, LOL!
There you go!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get a suet feeder.

They can't resist suet, and they won't touch your house.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by My442 View Post
Get a suet feeder.

They can't resist suet, and they won't touch your house.
Wow, another for the suet's...thank you!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my neck of the deep woods we have a lot of woodpeckers, too. As an ex-Army sniper I prefer one of these for a clean shot. Feathers everywhere...

http://rwsrifles.com/

It's very much like snipe hunting.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
In my neck of the deep woods we have a lot of woodpeckers, too. As an ex-Army sniper I prefer one of these for a clean shot. Feathers everywhere...

http://rwsrifles.com/

It's very much like snipe hunting.
Which model do you have? I have an old Sheridan pump-usually 4-5 pumps but time consuming and noisy if you're in hurry. Doesn't hold air for very long, maybe 2-3 minutes before I have to rack it again

Old 03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an older Model 48. Side cocking. Spring piston. No air pumping or loss of air pressure. Single cock. Single pellet load. Mine is the .177 caliber doing 1,100 fps. They do zing. Rifled barrel. Scoped, of course. Completely neighborhood legal.

I always lock and load before I step out on the porch. If I miss and they fly a short distance of less than about 300 feet they are still generally mine. Just be aware of what is down range of him. I live in dense woods, but the pellets really travel.

The difference between your Sheridan at something like 675 fps and an RWS at 1,100 fps could surprise you. It has a hell of a kick for a pellet rifle. They do take a somewhat special type of pellet rifle compatible scope that can handle the double recoil. Don't try to use a regular rifle scope or it might fail or lossen with every few shots.

Last edited by TA455HO; 03-23-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mossberg 930 SPX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTKPQJvT1CE

Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
I have an older Model 48. Side cocking. Spring piston. No air pumping or loss of air pressure. Single cock. Single pellet load. Mine is the .177 caliber doing 1,100 fps. They do zing. Rifled barrel. Scoped, of course. Completely neighborhood legal.

I always lock and load before I step out on the porch. If I miss and they fly a short distance of less than about 300 feet they are still generally mine. Just be aware of what is down range of him. I live in dense woods, but the pellets really travel.

The difference between your Sheridan at something like 675 fps and an RWS at 1,100 fps could surprise you. It has a hell of a kick for a pellet rifle. They do take a somewhat special type of pellet rifle compatible scope that can handle the double recoil. Don't try to use a regular rifle scope or it might fail or lossen with every few shots.
I think my dad had one of those, man did that thing have a kick to it! That is definitely the way to go.
Mine is 5mm and can be a real big PITA to pull back the slide. It may need to be serviced. I've had it since I was 12

Old 03-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My neighbor had the same problem, he hired my son with his pellet rifle.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awww man, don't shoot the woodpecker

Blast some really annoying Journey music out there, that will drive any creature away
Maybe try that song "any way you want it"