Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
Will the single 4 and no spacer fit with a shaker hood? What were the cam specs? Really good numbers, would be awesome to hit 100hp/liter on a 400 or 428 based build and bolt on parts which looks possible if you carefully pick cam and valvetrain (for 7500 rpm?). 480" is what, 7.85 liter and you're at 740hp? Close out of the box with peak power at 6800rpm. Some better valve springs and a bit more cam and I think you get there on that big engine, so would be a little easier with a smaller engine (to hit 100hp/liter).
Yes we raised the the heads 5/8 and subsequently lowered the intake. The net gain over stock is about 1/4 inch which could be easily milled.

lmc3470@aol.com
www.ChemicalManagementIndiana.com
317-260-3486
Old 08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67copperbird View Post
I think we all want to see what it does with a set of port matched single plane intake and heads with no spacer. Would also be courious to see what it does with a shaker scoop or a 67-69 ram air pan along with a full pulley set up. Also, Lynn any chance of getting a set of Tri-y's from Ron for the test? i know dyno time is money so I am still excited about being able to fit under the hood and still make some power.
With a slightly ported intake I am thinking we can go 750HP street engine. This engine is more comparible to a BBC and Hemi than a traditional Pontiac. I bet we are 500 to 1000RPM higher with the big intake ports.

We have Tri-y headers mfg in Indy, but I just sent them off with Calvin for a customer. As soon as he makes sure of the proper fit we will be going forward. Guys this engine as tons of torque. We had hoped to pull it from 3000 RPM and up, but it just wasnt in the cards.

lmc3470@aol.com
317-260-3486
Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRASuperStock455SD View Post
Yes we raised the the heads 5/8 and subsequently lowered the intake. The net gain over stock is about 1/4 inch which could be easily milled.
1/4" up will fit fine (at least on my car). The T1 intake moved the carb up and back more than that and it still fit, so sounds good. I will be watching this closely, do you plan to do any testing on 4" or 3.75" stroke engines?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
do you plan to do any testing on 4" or 3.75" stroke engines?
I have a (433) with a 4" scat if Lynn wants to send me a set to test

Rather than see how high this engine can be pushed I'd like to see how low it can be brought down and maintain some street manners.
If the intent is to offer a true street version it needs to idle and have low rpm throttle response.
Granted it'll need to wind up to make peak power but on the street low to mid range is where it'll be most of the time.
A test stand would do, doesn't have to be on a dyno to see how it works on the low end.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"People would be amazed if they new the whole story with valve springs and a Pontiac."

As we discussed, I wasn't surprised at all. Been on the dyno a few times and have looked right at the charts and have seen what can happen when your springs aren't up to the task!

Certainly new territory you're into here. Makes the shorter stroke packages look real appealing as well.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
1/4" up will fit fine (at least on my car). The T1 intake moved the carb up and back more than that and it still fit, so sounds good. I will be watching this closely, do you plan to do any testing on 4" or 3.75" stroke engines?
With that short of a stroke that is going to be a high reving engine. I think we were over 630 foot lbs of torque on this street engine and it averaged 600 ft-lbs over a very long band width. This was with a 2 inch tube and a 3 1/2 collector. This amazed me. I am so very interested to see how we can tune a cam and incorporate the tri-y headers. The tri-y's have the firing order cam to match the sequencing of the header tube location to promote pulse tuning. I am so interested to see who this works with our stuff.

lmc3470@aol.com
317-260-3486
Old 08-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67copperbird View Post
I think we all want to see what it does with a set of port matched single plane intake and heads with no spacer. Would also be courious to see what it does with a shaker scoop or a 67-69 ram air pan along with a full pulley set up. Also, Lynn any chance of getting a set of Tri-y's from Ron for the test? i know dyno time is money so I am still excited about being able to fit under the hood and still make some power.
The V headers are not on the agenda for Ron at this moment. There's already around 10 sets out there & will not be making anymore for at least a month or more. He is focused on & making progress with the other headers at this time. Over the last 6 months he has revised his V header patterns during the times that he was waiting for necessary tooling & materials for the other headers. Mostly on the 2nd gen birds & very little on the 1st gen birds.

Since the only jigs that were free in the last few weeks was the V jigs. He did all the SS building processes & cost evaluation using the V pattern. He built only one side & turned out nice for the first SS piece. He is happy with the way it turned out & set it aside. There wont be a mate to that header for at least a month or more. Like I mentioned it wasn't on the agenda & was used for testing the build process.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRASuperStock455SD View Post
With that short of a stroke that is going to be a high reving engine. I think we were over 630 foot lbs of torque on this street engine and it averaged 600 ft-lbs over a very long band width. This was with a 2 inch tube and a 3 1/2 collector. This amazed me. I am so very interested to see how we can tune a cam and incorporate the tri-y headers. The tri-y's have the firing order cam to match the sequencing of the header tube location to promote pulse tuning. I am so interested to see who this works with our stuff.
I'm a road racer like Gordon, so not sure a stock block would survive with more than a 4" stroke being constantly rung out like that. After heads/intake/headers, there won't be budget left for an aftermarket block. What would an as-cast top end package run? I'm thinking SFT and 8000rpm redline as I saw some expensive roller valvetrain failures at the last track day.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM

My application is geared toward road racing as well (I am a pro-touring guy). My car isn't actually a race car but I plan to build it strong enough to survive say a track day or HDPE event type run. I also plan on running a steel 400 style hood on my 67 as well as the 67-68 ram air pans, so hood clearance is also an issue for me. Where I gain room is that I am using fuel injection and the TB is shorter than a carb. The reason I asked on the tri-y is I need the ground clearance. Lynn if you can PM me who is building your headers in Indy?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No problem publishing this. Here is his website:

www.theindycartel.com

Joe is a fabulous fabricator. He has a shop in Brownsburg where John Force, Impact Racing, Vance and Hines, and all the racing shops are. We are considering putting a shop in that area, you can get anything done for anything race car or street car on that block.

lmc3470@aol.com
317-260-3486
Old 08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have tri-y headers that we didnt have time to test as the RAV kept breaking the dyno, lol.

Just a side note, can the guy who rated this thread one star have the courage to reveal what he didnt like about this particular thread? I didnt see anything negative about what was posted...unless you just dont like Pontiac Power?

I love it all and I support all the people who do it. It keeps Pontiac alive whereby if it weren't for everyone's effort, it would surely die.

lmc3470@aol.com
317-260-3486
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Boost Engineer

It was rated "one star" Lynn because I started it and some like to get their licks in whenever they can. I rated it 5 stars. Thanks for your efforts in this project.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.