Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Jones:
No.
And I somehow gathered that you have owned both. Congrats. That is not the reason for my statement. If I had a set of Bilstiens on my car right now, my opinion of your social skills would not change one bit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I have owned both, you haven't and yet when comparing the two there is NO comparison and I do find the KYB's as junk, but my opinion is considered a ****head statement to you. Hmmmmm.

Speaks volumns about you David. Volumns.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can't seem to pick up that its not your opinion on shocks that brought out my statement. Its your manner in expressing that opinion.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:59 PM

Next time I post a request for a recommendation I am going to wait a week for the dust to settle. Since the shocks are in the mail I now have no choice. In all honesty they will probably be fine for how I am going to use them in the early going. In defense of the recommendation price is not always an indication of quality. If it was my wife would be a genius.

1971 GTO Convertible 4 Spd

Old 01-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My apologies Greg. You'll be very happy with your purchase. I was with mine.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:15 PM

The last time I bought shocks for this car was 1984 and it was a set of Gabriels in the front and Monroe air shocks in the back. I am tempted to pull them out of the garbage! By the way what is a Bilstein? Is that something else I've missed out on? I am starting to feel like Austin Powers.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:40 AM
Senior Chief

Bilstein shocks are just another brand of shocks. They cost about the same as the edelbrock shocks. You'll fork out about $280-$300 for a set of them. Their performance? well, I have no idea, nor do I care.

I went through this same thing when I was selecting shocks. I picked KYB, because they offered what I wanted. A firm ride. I have complete poly bushings, front and rear sway bars, and Hotchkis front and rear springs. Dropped 2" in front, 1.5" in the rear, with 17" wheels & tires. I'm not expecting my TA to ride like a Cadillac. I don't want it to.

There seems to be a lot of folks who think they know what the right ride is for you. They don't. Only you can determine that. If you're running basically stock suspension, then the KYB's might not be too stiff for you. If you're running poly bushings and performance springs, then they might be a little too firm for your taste. The only way you'll know is to try them out for yourself.

I wish you the best of luck.

-AX

Old 01-23-2004, 03:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.bilstein.com/oldindex.html

Bilstein is a premium shock. Basically, outside of Koni's, are considered to be the best shock made. Many car manufactures use them as OEM including GM on some of their trucks and when SLP produced the SS and Firehawk.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put a cheap-o set of Monroe gas shocks on my GTO when I redid the suspension six years ago. Car rides and drives fine. I think I paid something like $15 each for 'em and I got 'em at Trak.

My car is a cruiser, not a race car or slot car, so the Monroes satisfy my needs.

You can spend what you want, but unless you're doing autocross or other special types of driving, the cheaper shock may serve you well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curiosity is good!

Old 01-23-2004, 07:24 AM

Well I did put in the poly bushings in the front and rear suspension but the body mounts are the soft oem type. Havent picked the tires and wheels yet so that is another variable that needs to be dealt with. Springs were from HO racing that dropped the front 1". If they are not right at least the investment is low.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, with a set up like that, 16 or 17" rims and tires and Bilstein/Koni shocks are what you want. It will make the car handle like a late model F-body.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg,
IMHO, for the money you can't beat the KYB's. They will have a firmer ride than the stock shock and the more adjustable (and expensive) ones mentioned. If you have installed the poly bushings in the front susp you should definitely notice a tighter, firmer front end with the KYBs. Don't expect to notice much difference between poly and rubber OEM body bushings - I did the same on my '66. Replacing the old bushings is a good idea anyway and will likely get rid of a few rattles.
I think you'll be satisfied with the KYBs - if not, you're not out much money an Summit will exchange them if you don't like 'em.
Tim

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/TimSimpson66GTO.html

Old 01-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am also in the market for new shocks.

I deliberately went to other sites such as chevelles.com to get their opinions given our 'A' bodies are essentially the same.

While there is far less drama over there, the trend of answers given here is correct.

KYB offers great value and a good firm shock. The other brands tend to be a step up in either their ability to tune, or in their ability to absorb the road harshness. ( Edelbrock, Bilstein , Koni )

Like everything else comes down to money. Only you can answer the question as to what you feel comfortable with.

Same decision and trade off we make all the time w/our classics w/ tires, clutches, carbuerators, brakes, lines, etc.

- Jim Doran -Some Pics of my 65

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 01-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Chief

Personally, I would have picked the Bilstein shocks over the KYB's if I could have justified spending that kind of money on shocks. Especially for a car that will only see the road as a cruiser on nice weekends. No racing, no daily driving, no point in my mind. The KYB's can't be any stiffer with this setup than my 4X4 trucks are. Especially the one with the lift kit. I know how they work with a stock suspension set up, and I liked them. That's just my personal opinion of them though.

-AX

Old 01-23-2004, 10:26 AM

set of 4 edelbrock shocks on ebay for 70 gto new in box bid now at $138 reserve is been met item # 2454983761 (sorry done know how to import link) 2 days left hope it helps
kirk

Old 01-23-2004, 10:38 AM

That is probably the main reason why I went ahead with the KYB's. I would rather spend the extra money on tires and wheels at this point as the car will not be an everyday driver.

Old 02-01-2004, 06:19 PM

Hi everyone, thought I'd add my comments about KYB shocks.

I just installed front and rear Gas-Adjusts on my daughters partially restored '78 TA. Her TA uses 255-60-15 BFG's on 15x7 snowflakes. After a week of driving over typical CA roads and freeways in the S.F. Bay Area, I'm quite pleased with the KYB performance. Initially, they gave a "harsh" ride, almost a "bouncy" ride, particularly over sections of Highway 880 "washboard". I also noticed a little shimmy in the steering wheel. But after a week, they've settled down.

Before bad mouthing the KYB's, I think you need to let them "break in". Seems strange, but maybe some of the N2 gas charge needs to leak as the seals break in. Also, you can reduce the tire pressures somewhat (say from 35 to 30 psi or less), to improve the ride with little loss of street handling. The KYB's replaced one year old Monroe sensi-tracks, which gave a typical "soft" American car ride. The KYB's give a more European performance car ride.

I also recently installed KYB GR-2's (struts and rear shocks) on my son's modified '76 Toyota Celica, and noticed a hugh improvement in handling on that car. We've stuffed 205-60-14 BFG Touring TA tires on 14 x 8 JW (Toyota Supra) Alloy wheels on his ride, with Addco front and rear sway bars, for even more improvement. Now handles like a small BMW. The kids are pleased.

Also, KYB is real Japan made. Lifetime warranty and made to high quality specifications (obvious when you inspect them, assuming no damage from UPS or at Summit racing),

Mark H.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also have the KYB's..... and I Love them! Are they firm yes, but I like it. For the 1500-2000 miles I drive a year in this car, I didnt need to spend 2x+ for the Edelbrocks.... which would have been my second choice. I hope this helps you with the decisions you made.

Drive it like ya stole it!

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 02-02-2004, 09:06 AM

I Am using The IAS Shocks for street Duty, they are a surprise to me, as far as performance and ride go. Weight transfer is Exceptional on my 70, & the ride although slightly stiff adjusts quickly, to various conditions & Duty, which for me has been well worth the money. Because of their ability to adjust quickly, they also help to handle some rear Lateral movement, as a Sway Bar does.

MRDAN7