THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, a new luxury sedan costs $60,000 these days and will be worth half of that in four years. To many people with that kind of money $120K just isn't that much. A lot of us still think in 1980 dollars. My wife just spent $40K on a compact BMW SUV the size of a Honda CRV that will be relatively worthless in 10 years. I think the goal posts have moved faster than many of us realize.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Well, a new luxury sedan costs $60,000 these days and will be worth half of that in four years. To many people with that kind of money $120K just isn't that much. A lot of us still think in 1980 dollars. My wife just spent $40K on a compact BMW SUV the size of a Honda CRV that will be relatively worthless in 10 years. I think the goal posts have moved faster than many of us realize.
True, I suppose my problem is I am still making 1980's money!

Old 03-29-2021, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To give you an idea ... median home price in 1985 was $85k, right now it's $350k .... that's MEDIAN ... people on the downside of that are probably not buying restored vintage cars, average Barrett buyer is probably living in a $600k+ home ... which sounds like a lot to most of us, but that's just your average upscale 3,000 sq/ft home these days.

I'm still gobsmacked when I look at new trucks and realize my typically plain jane, 2wd, regular cab PU is going to cost $30k.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The double sided commissions are what soured me off of Barret and Mecums. Big ones at that. I think Mecum gives you a small break if you are live instead of online.

I registered for Kissimmee a few years ago. I was overseas doing contracting work, and looking to spend money out of boredom. But when I realized that they take a bite out of both sides it backed me off.

Maybe Im just used to ebay, but dont auction companies generally only charge one side of the deal?

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-29-2021, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It seems like prices for everything have really shot up over the last year or so. Real estate, building materials, used cars, fuel, groceries, etc. To be expected I guess. Pouring $ into the economy to help people also increases demand at a time when supply hasn’t caught up from the pandemic.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm still gobsmacked when I look at new trucks and realize my typically plain jane, 2wd, regular cab PU is going to cost $30k.
I wish I could find a new V8 truck capable of towing a trailer/car for $30K...

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-29-2021, 05:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did a ride along in the new TRX. Through dirt, mud, ruts and they jump it at the end. Truly a spectacular vehicle. Starts at 69k with 700 HP and all of the suspension enhancements. That’s about the same as a Chevy Hugh Sierra with a 5.3!

If I was going to buy something to have for the next 10 years that would be it.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
I wish I could find a new V8 truck capable of towing a trailer/car for $30K...
You can, but you have to suffer some. Reg cab, 2 wd, V8, towing package, lower ratio posi, HD cooling etc. No fancy interior or appearance package, no power windows, no fancy sound system. Just a basic heavy duty optioned work truck should tow 9,000 lbs. That's what I've always ordered. But you have to order one, you won't find it on a lot.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You can, but you have to suffer some. Reg cab, 2 wd, V8, towing package, lower ratio posi, HD cooling etc. No fancy interior or appearance package, no power windows, no fancy sound system. Just a basic heavy duty optioned work truck should tow 9,000 lbs. That's what I've always ordered. But you have to order one, you won't find it on a lot.
I can kinda confirm this. When I was looking for trucks a few years ago, the cheapest new trucks on the Dodge lot were low option 2500s. They were 4x4s though.

I almost bought one over the 1500 I ultimately got, but I just couldnt stomach the 15mpg for a daily driver. They also have extra maintenance requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-30-2021, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I did a ride along in the new TRX. Through dirt, mud, ruts and they jump it at the end. Truly a spectacular vehicle. Starts at 69k with 700 HP and all of the suspension enhancements. That’s about the same as a Chevy Hugh Sierra with a 5.3!

If I was going to buy something to have for the next 10 years that would be it.
I wish Toyota would dabble in the 2500 HD trucks. I use my 2500HD chev for pulling big trailers & winter plowing. The toyotas have such better sheet metal prep & certainly plenty of power. I live in the rust belt & a good friend has a 2007 tundra & it is still rust free. Meanwhile all the chevy & fords of the era are completely falling apart. Hard to swallow paying 70K plus for a new 2500 that will be a rust bucket in 10 years. New trucks have gotten crazy expensive. & the used market has increased by 20% thanks to the new truck shortages over the last year. Kinda crazy.

I keep thinking chevy & ford will figure out the rust thing, but they really don't care. 6 years is about it up here in the North for the Big 3.

Heck, I still see late 90's 4 runners around that aren't rusty yet.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 03-30-2021, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
The double sided commissions are what soured me off of Barret and Mecums. Big ones at that. I think Mecum gives you a small break if you are live instead of online.

I registered for Kissimmee a few years ago. I was overseas doing contracting work, and looking to spend money out of boredom. But when I realized that they take a bite out of both sides it backed me off.

Maybe Im just used to ebay, but dont auction companies generally only charge one side of the deal?
At one time an automobile auction was a quick way to get rid of a car. You got it in front of a crowd of perspective buyers, in 2 minutes it gets sold. You would take a loss on the price/value but at least it was gone. As opposed to listing it in the newspaper and waiting for the phone to ring over a 6-12 month period. The premiums paid to the auction house offset the carrying cost of a car you no longer wanted. NOW, the auction seems to be the place to sell your car for top dollar. It has turned into an adult carnival, not just a place to get rid of an old car.

I understand (at least half way) all of the economics, I still have to shake my head though.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Ah, okay. Wasn't thinking of the ordering route.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400