Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-05-2002, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got the new HPP yesterday and there is an article on Rodney Butlers's new motor. Interestingly enough he used mild steel headers and coated them with a "special 2000 degree coating from BCD coatings" Anybody familair with this product?

www.bopengineering.com
Old 02-05-2002, 04:57 PM
On Vacation

No, but I hate to see what will happen if it decides to "go away".

It would be interesting to see what the cost comparison is between using such a coating vs. stainless steel.

Old 02-06-2002, 10:46 PM
Boost Engineer

When Marty was on the board, He would have mentioned that his headers were mild steel. I am
with Larry though. I do a lot of work with the McLaren company on my Ford turbo projects and I
am glad that Ford is paying for the tubing. Any
left over tubing immediately disappears into someone's tool box. I am also interested in the
coating on Rodney's headers.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:58 AM
Senior Chief

Excellent points G-man.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:31 PM

Even if you coat mild steel, the problem goes from oxidation to strength. Mild steel is only good to a little over 1000 F if it is lightly stressed (like headers), but will give up quickly when temps are 1500+ along with the weight of a turbo hanging off it. This doesn't mean it can't work, just that it wouldn't last very long, which helps to justify the higher cost of stainless (Inconel takes a lot more justification, of course - unless you get some "scrap" for free...). Inconel can run at bright orange (2000 F) all day without flinching while you could poke a center punch through mild steel without much effort.

'63 421SD LeMans...
in pieces in my garage
and basement
Old 02-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Boost Engineer

Larry F,
Even when we run the good stuff we never run a turbo engine without a floating turbo support to
help hold the turbo. When the exhaust is really cooking the pipes are like plastic and tend to move around quite a bit. A simple but correctly designed turbo support really helps out.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.