Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-17-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Before you do anything make a plan. What are your performance goals and how much do you plan on spending on the upgrades. Your car will run fine keeping your 2.56 gears it just won't accelerate as fast as it would with lower gears. My point is if you stick with the 2.56 gears don't over cam it or it will perform worse than stock. You have to look at the complete package. If you get eheads and a big cam now you need lower gears and headers too, oh now you need new 2-1/2 exhaust pipes and turbo mufflers. Now you need suspension and brakes to be up to the increase in power, will your trans now take the power and will that 10 bolt rear hold up to the increase power. Don't forget about the high stall converter too. How much will all this cost what have you got yourself into and when your done will you still enjoy driving this loud gas guzzling machine and maybe you will blow up the short block because it's old and tired and not up to all these upgrades. Just giving you some things to consider before you start buying parts. Good luck
This is great validation that I've done most of what I should've first. Already have a pypes system with tri-y headers, already upgraded to 4 wheel disc brakes, transmission has been rebuilt with upgraded internals, suspension has been completely gone through including body mounts, etc!

Comp XE262
Functional Shaker Hood
Tribal Tubes Tri-Y Headers
Pypes Crossflow exhaust