Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

7 page GTO Option section...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bonus for tonight - the 1964 GTO Dealer Sales Brochure. This is the piece that was handed out at the dealerships and was in the April '64 Car and Driver magazine.

You can tell from reading the brochure that Pontiac was not intending this to be a car for everyone - the whole brochure is designed to attract the performance enthusiasts...

Next upload won't be until the middle of next week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some great stuff has been posted in here, I appreciate the effort. Eric, thanks also for the wild about cars links.

Champ, I have one request. Early in the thread I think you mentioned the April, '64 C&D. If I'm not mistaken, that issue contains the Letter to the Editor responses to the March review of the GTO.

I have at least a sampling of those letters that Davis, Jr. included in his retrospective on the original article which appeared in the '75 Car & Driver, an issue I purchased new, at the dawn of my own '64 GTO interest.

But I have always assumed there were others that were published in the April, '64 issue.

For anybody that has never read the response letters, I think they make for a good chuckle. I realize they aren't really in keeping with the technical reference intent of the thread, but I think they offer a little historical perspective of what some in the automotive enthusiast thought of the GTO as it was launched.

Any chance you can scan them and post them up?

Old 12-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default So....

since they list the exhaust splitters as a dealer installed option...would they appear on the PHS? Inquiring minds want to know.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron, the "Tail Pipe Extensions" were a factory option listed on the '64 Tempest Order Form, required V8 and Dual Exhaust, Sales Code 422 (UPC N25 on Fremont manifests).

If factory ordered, they WILL be coded on the PHS docs.

They were also offered as a Dealer Accessory Package, in which case you could add them to any '64 Tempest model, single or dual exhaust. If purchased from and/or installed by a Dealer, they would NOT be shown on the PHS record.

The p/ns for the Dealer Accessory Packages were 984333 for the RH side and 984334 for the LH side.

These are the "accessory package" p/ns, NOT the actual p/ns of the extensions themselves (which are also well known). The package included all the necessary mounting hardware, not just the extension. They sold for $11.85 per side according to Eric White's book, a bit more for a pair than was charged when factory installed (this was typical of all accessory packages when compared to the factory option pricing for the same item).

As popular as they seem to be on '64s today, they were very rarely factory ordered.

The SRP list price was $21.30.

I have seen them coded on just 3 Pontiac Plant cars in a quick look thru my manifest records. A late Feb build, a late March build, and a mid June build.

Look for a 2, 3, 6, or 7 in Box 42 on a Pontiac Plant manifest record (depends on what combination of other options coded in that Box were to be included).

The option would be spelled out by name along with the N25 code on a Fremont Plant manifest but I don't think I have any '64 Fremont manifest records showing this option.

Because of the rarity, I was never able to determine the code for them on the '64 KC and Baltimore Plant Shipping Records.

I've heard it suggested that they were not initially offered in '64 as a factory option. All I can say is that the Sales Code 422 option was listed in the '64 Tempest Inspector's Guide, compiling all Engineering Releases prior to Dec 19, 1963. So if not released at the very start, seemingly released by mid Dec.

The late release idea is borne out by the two different versions of the GTO Sales Brochure.

The early undated version says they are "A dealer-installed option.".

The later version dated 4/17/64 includes a number of known verbiage revisions related to option availability and in this version the exhaust splitters are shown as "A factory- or dealer-installed option.".

But Price Lists and the Inspector's Guide seem to point to the idea that if they were a "late" release as a factory option, they could be factory ordered very early in the Model Year.

I'm only aware of one version of the '64 Tempest Order Form. But it is the version that was revised and issued after December. It is entirely possible that a very early '64 Tempest Order Form version did not list Sales Code 422.

I'm also aware that there was reportedly an "early" version with slightly shorter tips that resulted in burned or smudged paint. Consequently a revision with longer tips was released. If so, the p/ns either did not change despite the revision or else nobody has discovered the original unrevised p/ns.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1965 GTO Royal Bobcat engine compartment from an original road test.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - engine bay.jpg
Views:	1508
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	419771   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - engine bay 2.jpg
Views:	1541
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	419772   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - engine bay 3.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	419773   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - closeup of core support decals 1.jpg
Views:	1697
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	419774   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - fan shroud and core support.jpg
Views:	1678
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	419775  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

....a few more pics and closeups...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - tri-power.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	419776   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - regulator and brake booster, master cylinder.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	419777   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - underhood light.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	419778   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - valve cover, linkage.jpg
Views:	1537
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	419779   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965 GTO - road test - Royal Bobcat - alternator with belt thrown.jpg
Views:	1732
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	419780  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Ron, the "Tail Pipe Extensions" were a factory option listed on the '64 Tempest Order Form, required V8 and Dual Exhaust, Sales Code 422 (UPC N25 on Fremont manifests).

If factory ordered, they WILL be coded on the PHS docs.

They were also offered as a Dealer Accessory Package, in which case you could add them to any '64 Tempest model, single or dual exhaust. If purchased from and/or installed by a Dealer, they would NOT be shown on the PHS record.

The p/ns for the Dealer Accessory Packages were 984333 for the RH side and 984334 for the LH side.

These are the "accessory package" p/ns, NOT the actual p/ns of the extensions themselves (which are also well known). The package included all the necessary mounting hardware, not just the extension. They sold for $11.85 per side according to Eric White's book, a bit more for a pair than was charged when factory installed (this was typical of all accessory packages when compared to the factory option pricing for the same item).

As popular as they seem to be on '64s today, they were very rarely factory ordered.

The SRP list price was $21.30.

I have seen them coded on just 3 Pontiac Plant cars in a quick look thru my manifest records. A late Feb build, a late March build, and a mid June build.

Look for a 2, 3, 6, or 7 in Box 42 on a Pontiac Plant manifest record (depends on what combination of other options coded in that Box were to be included).

The option would be spelled out by name along with the N25 code on a Fremont Plant manifest but I don't think I have any '64 Fremont manifest records showing this option.

Because of the rarity, I was never able to determine the code for them on the '64 KC and Baltimore Plant Shipping Records.

I've heard it suggested that they were not initially offered in '64 as a factory option. All I can say is that the Sales Code 422 option was listed in the '64 Tempest Inspector's Guide, compiling all Engineering Releases prior to Dec 19, 1963. So if not released at the very start, seemingly released by mid Dec.

The late release idea is borne out by the two different versions of the GTO Sales Brochure.

The early undated version says they are "A dealer-installed option.".

The later version dated 4/17/64 includes a number of known verbiage revisions related to option availability and in this version the exhaust splitters are shown as "A factory- or dealer-installed option.".

But Price Lists and the Inspector's Guide seem to point to the idea that if they were a "late" release as a factory option, they could be factory ordered very early in the Model Year.

I'm only aware of one version of the '64 Tempest Order Form. But it is the version that was revised and issued after December. It is entirely possible that a very early '64 Tempest Order Form version did not list Sales Code 422.

I'm also aware that there was reportedly an "early" version with slightly shorter tips that resulted in burned or smudged paint. Consequently a revision with longer tips was released. If so, the p/ns either did not change despite the revision or else nobody has discovered the original unrevised p/ns.
Like I said...the amount I DON'T know about these cars still astounds me. Very interesting but like starting over again. Dealing with Fremont cars is just one more twist. Anyway...keeps it interesting. Thanks for sharing.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fisher-Hess Pontiac

The Fisher-Hess Pontiac Dealership in Ogden Utah, 1964
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fisherhess.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	435920  

Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 AM

I put together the 1964 GTO brochure available as a pdf as well as the Tempest and GTO dealer album pages as a pdf. If you want a copy send me a PM with your email.

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
The Following User Says Thank You to theamcguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PONTIAC SONGS

Just off of You Tube and listened to Lil GTO. A Pontiac tune also popped up that I have not heard in a long time (Shut Down Album). "Wide Track by the Super Stocks." Love that guys voice! Some great stills from some one as the song plays. Check it out!

Are there other Pontiac tunes we need listed here? I recall an early race song involving a 55 Pont and an Olds and "Dusting the Competition".

Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by War eagle View Post
Are there other Pontiac tunes we need listed here?
Red Dirt Road by Brooks and Dunn:

Quote:
Her daddy didn't like me much
With my shackled up GTO
I'd sneak out in the middle of the night
Throw rocks at her bedroom window
We'd turn out the headlights
Drive by the moonlight
Talk about what the future might hold
Down a red dirt road
Must have been a '74 - the only year GTO with leaf springs...

Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes!

Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and Tempest Custom

Any interest in the Safaris?

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Would definitely like to see the Safari wagons.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

THUMBS UP CHAMP!! THANKS AND KEEP EM' COMING.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Any 65's?

Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow, after scrolling through these great illustrations I want to run out and order one. Thanks for posting them.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:59 PM

This site has downloads of all the 1965 GTO Ads.

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9930355534750

Fayetteville, NC
Old 10-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Also you can find 2 of the 1965 GTO posters done by Pontiac here

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Fayetteville, NC