THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My GTO is juust typical when im driving it.

When someone else drives, even just the pull away the GTO is rather impressive in looks and sounds.

I say let somebody drive your car so you can see and hear what you've been missing.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see how it would be seen as rude, but were I in your situation, I'd say that's not my problem.

If I don't feel I can trust the person for what ever reason to drive my car, then I will tell them that "I don't let other people drive my car";
I think it might only be rude depending on how the situation is presented or dealt with, there are polite ways to deal with most situations.

Although, some people are a bit daft and require rudeness for it to sink in.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My youngest son got married a couple of weeks ago to his girlfriend of 7 years. They married at her grandparents place on Lay Lake, which is an 85 mile drive from my house. Daniel asked to leave the wedding in my GTO as soon as they set a date. I was glad to say yes, Daniel has always loved the car. My car had been in body shop jail for over a year when I got it back earlier this year and then when I got it back I quickly had 2 shoulder surgeries, the last one in May was major, where they replaced the head of the humerus bone up in my shoulder because it had shed most of it's cartilage. After I healed enough to reach the shifter I drove around a bit and discovered that the drivers rear brake caliper was dragging. I managed to pull it down and clean and lube the pins and contact areas. It continued to drag. I pulled it back down and replaced it. I got in a few miles of driving and it seemed ok. The car needed tires. I bought a set off of Amazon and had them installed. As wedding weekend got closer, the GTO needed a bath. I washed it. Friday morning before the Saturday wedding came and I discovered that the power window on the passenger side had quit. No time to fix it and I was parking in a garage once (if) I arrived at the house. At that time Alabama was in the middle of a record heat wave. We left (my wife in her car and my sister in law and her husband in theirs) about 10am...it was already 91. The trip turned out to be uneventful except for the numerous traffic light conversations I had along the way. I love pulling up to a light and watching windows roll down as I pull up. Arrival temp was 98 degrees. Saturday night, after the party wound down Daniel and Scotti made their way to the car as 100 people were waving sparklers and beers within arms length of the car. It had rained lightly just before but I'd thrown a sheet over the open passenger window . Daniel fired the car (I had warmed it a bit just before) and started off. NO LIGHTS! It occurred to me in my moment of panic that he'd never seen how to turn the lights on. Or the wipers. I tried to get to him but he got away. They drove out of sight with no lights on and my breathing stopped. Thankfully it was a "fake" leave (and there was no traffic) and they never intended to go far and he figured out the lights but not the wipers as they got just out of sight. The breathing started back when they came back. I drove it back home the next day with no issues and as I look back it was completely worthwhile.
Would I turn him loose for a 50 mile ride by himself?
Hell no...........

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not Rude.

It's your car. Your decision.

Most just look at it as a car, especially if they haven't put blood, sweat and tears into it.

That's why people have to put signs on their cars at shows that say Don't Touch. It ought to be understood, unless the owner says you can.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not rude at all. Ive let people drive my car but I knew them and knew they had experience with old musclecars. A few years back here in Phoenix some guy let his brother drive his convertable GTO. The guy lost control, totaled the car and was killed. Its your car, your rules.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My opinion - not rude. Next time just ask them to hand you the full replacement value IN CASH as security deposit. That should put an end to it.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
My GTO is juust typical when im driving it.

When someone else drives, even just the pull away the GTO is rather impressive in looks and sounds.

I say let somebody drive your car so you can see and hear what you've been missing.

My Daughter has taken video of me driving and the sound the exhaust makes so I al ready know that.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Not rude. Your car, your rules.

Nobody other than my GF or dad drives my stuff-new or old. PERIOD
Same here, my Dad is only person that has driven my TA, ever...

If you have a car that makes quite a bit of power, take them for a RIDE, and scare the dog pee out of them.....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
My Daughter has taken video of me driving and the sound the exhaust makes so I al ready know that.
Ah yes , then just say no.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You gave the perfect answer my insurance won’t allow it sorry. When my son lived at home he was in his early 20’s Hagerty made me sign a waiver that he would not drive my car.

Old 10-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not rude at all. If they are car people they'd understand. I also can count on one hand the people who have driven my car.2 I've driven their car, 1 helping out with some issues a uncle that also has a old muscle car and last my wife who also has experience with old muscle cars. Others have asked I've simply said no.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I have done this many times with kids who ask if they can get in for a picture. It’s the times I walk away and come back to find a Women had put her 4 year old in behind the wheel and closed the door which meant she opened it to put him inside. As I approached I see him steering the wheel back and forth making motor noises and her laughing and taking pictures. NOT OK! As I explained, she said I shouldn’t be so picky or don’t come to a show. I kept it together and told her have a nice day. (For the child’s sake)
Many years ago I had a '61 Bonneville convertible. Since it was a convertible (and was just barely 'driver' quality) I never locked it, and more often than not I left the top down from spring to fall. Anyway, one time I took a date to the movies, and when we left the theatre and walked out to the parking lot there were two teenage girls sitting in my car. When I asked them what they were doing, they turned bright shades of red, jumped out of the car, apologized, and scurried away.

The car was fine (I'm not sure what they were doing, I guess just pretending they looked cool or something) so it was more funny than anything else. As far as I know it was the only time anyone ever got into one of my cars without asking permission.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
You gave the perfect answer my insurance won’t allow it sorry. When my son lived at home he was in his early 20’s Hagerty made me sign a waiver that he would not drive my car.

I wasn’t just thinking quick when I said it, it’s actually on my policy with Hagerty. But I don’t carry the policy around with me to prove it, and I can’t believe these people would even ask then get bent out of shape when I explain it.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know what? Forget it. People will find themselves taking a chance with your car that they wouldn't even with their own vehicle. Floor it one or two times, park in the most convenient spot for themselves, not the furthest one away on it's own, resulting in a door ding. Stuff like that. I've had it with my other vehicles, my tools, everything. And what do you get after? an "oh, so sorry, man" right before they walk away. They just will not give the car the level of care that it needs, because it's not theirs.

My Tempest isn't exactly a trailer queen, but I did have a '69 Camaro SS/RS convertible original paint and interior that people constantly figured on their own that it was OK for them to drive it. I always did the "leave a deposit" thing. That usually shut them up, but not without a few comments under their breath first.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For me it depends who is asking. Someone who isn't really a car guy no. My 3 brothers yea no problem take it out for a blast. After all when I was 16/17 they had the GTO's GTX's and 442's and let me drive them. I am a auto tech that would do a lot of side work on peoples cars, but no way would I lend my daily car while I worked on their car. Don't need my insurance rates going up.

TOM
Old 10-17-2019, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely not car people!! I have let a few friends beat the piss out of my car!! And loved every second of it. I've even let friends do donuts!! But.. thats my call!!

Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This summer my brother was unable to drive his car (69 Camaro backhalfed 800 hp BBC 'Street Warrior') He gave his son permission to drive it any time. I go to visit family a couple of times a year. This year he said 'let's go for a spin, you have to drive'. I have driven it before with his 600 hp BBC. I have never asked to drive it. While we were out I hammered it only a couple of times. He gave it to me for not beating on it like his son does. I told him I hammer the crap out of my own cars not someone else's because I don't want to damage someone else's.

Side note: at a local car show there were couple of owners inviting spectators to sit in their cars. I politely refused, as again I don't want to inadvertently damage it with a hangnail, watch, ring etc.(but didn't say so).

I have driven my Daughter's Honda S2000 ('mildly' beating on it). If she were to tell me not to drive it any more I would not be insulted or angry with her. (I would perhaps be disappointed cuz it is fun to drive)

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 10-18-2019, 02:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When my GTO was finished I drove it to my friends house to show him. He is a car nut like me. The first thing he wanted to do was a burnout. I said no.
My wife took the car out without asking me and the master cylinder failed. She rear ended another car (he sued) and bent the front bumper and damaged the a/c condenser. Still don't have the car back.
Being a woman she didn't know if you pump the brake pedal it comes back up.
Say No, no, no and no and don't worry about it.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its not rude, and its your car to do with what you want. I would never imagine asking someone if I could drive their car, being an antique or something brand new. Might ask for a ride, but never to drive. With that said, Im not sure I would have a problem with anyone driving my T/A. In fact when my brother came down from Canada last winter I took it out for him to take a cruise. He was following my restoration and moved away before I finished it. I dont think I would let just anybody, but most of the people in my circle would probably be welcome. Its just a car!

Old 10-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ask the comedian Kevin Hart about letting someone else drive your classic car. And what can happen when they don't know what they are getting into.

I use the insurance reason - you have to be over 25, on my policy, and a member of my immediate family. (Though both of my kids did take their first driving lessons in their Great gramma's car back when it was a 350 2bbl Esprit.)

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...gramma&page=27

Closed Thread