Old 01-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've read that early '69 cars got the vacuum advance control, and I believe that it was for 4-spd cars only.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Chief

In order for that device to work correctly you need the vacuum tree on the intake where the plug is and you need a dual port vacuum advance unit on the distributer which is a 68 item. It's in the factory service manuals

Old 01-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That does seem to be an item of controversy that no one can answer 100%. You ask 10 so called expert and you get 5 answers one way and 5 the other!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JEFF KING:
Very Nice! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I'll agree, never saw any RAIV w/vac. advance might be correct for 400/stick cars though.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Senior Chief

Jerry H. First and foremost the car looks great. I have owned some low mileage untouched GTO's and I can tell you with 100 % certainty that that vacuum control was never on a RA IV engine. That device along with the vacuum tree on the intake would sense detonation ( albeit crudely) it would then retard the timing , hence the dual port 1968 vacuum advance unit. I know the Pontiac GTO resto guide shows this piece to be correct for 69 cars. The resto guide is incorrect you need to check factory service and assembly manuals. Can't wait to see that car in person.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

RAIVJUDGE,

Are you also saying that the vacuum tree is incorrect? I've got a '69 RA IV Judge with auto trans that is very much unrestored and (not surprisingly) is missing the vacuum tree. The plug blocking this orifice in the manifold is definitley not factory issue. I've also seen at least one concourse restored RA IV auto car with the vacuum tree, so I've always believed that the vacuum tree was correct. Is the vacuum tree applicable to my car? If so, how many ports are used (three)?

Old 01-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to agree with RAIVJUDGE.
But all I have to say is "Very Nice!"