Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 06-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Suspended

My idea is to route the crossover unedr the transmission (M-21) and then into on of the Flowmaster 'Y' Fittings. A High Flow Catalyst would be fitted and the rest of the exhaust would be stock with the exception of Magnaflows.

I live in California and used to be a smog tech. I had a 1967 Dodge Coronet with a hot 440 that wouldn't pass smog.

I put 5 gallons of 100 Octane Low Lead Aviation Fuel into the tank along with 2 gallons of 100% Methyl Alcohol.

The car passed the emissions test with no problems or adjustment.

That was before the IM/240 test, but the reduction in Co% and HcPpm were dramatic.

I plan on the same approach with my warmed over 413 Pontiac in my 1979 T/A...Robert

Zcode400@sbcglobal.net

Old 06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Suspended

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JC455:
Is it a California car or Federal? If it's a CA car, you don't have to worry about the EFE valve on the driver's side down pipe, but you will have a smog pump and the related bracketry.
For fooling the smog police, it's almost better to have a CA car.
Later, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John....

Last time I checked, the EFE is still required for a California car, even though the 1979 T/A with a 4-speed was a federal only certification.

No air pump was required on this model...Robert

Old 06-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't say on a 79, but on a 76, the Federal cars had EFE. The CA cars did not, but they did have a smog pump.
The exhaust manifolds are the same, but the EFE "flange" is empty on a CA car.
If I had known this earlier, I could have rigged an EFE without all the hassle. Oh well...
BTW, last I checked, Pontiac still had EFE assemblies for sale.

Old 07-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info. What is, and how can I identify an EFE? I have never heard of this?

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 07-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

EFE- Early Fuel Evaporation valve. It's just like the gas shut off valve for your house- a blade in the pipe that can restrict flow depending on the direction it is positioned. Vacuum is applied through various temp sensor/vacuum break setups to help speed up the warm up process and help the car idle properly on cold days.
The vacuum is usually applied from the sensor in the water crossover, and as the motor warms up, then EFE is deactivated.
If you have a Federal car, the EFE is at the base of the driver's exhaust manifold and will have a vacuum port on it. On a CA car, the "adaptor" piece is there, but it's empty on the inside and there's not port.