Old 03-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is the circuit for the later motor using a toggle switch:

Like I stated before, you should only use a toggle switch with a spring return to center!
You notice the Vacuum line? I used a peice of kite string and a vacuum cleaner to pull it through the vacuum line under the dash out to the front of the car. Then attach a #18 wire to the string, and using plenty of WD40 on the wire (shoot some inside the line as well), you can have a buddy at the front of the car pull the wire through. Now your wires to the motor are hidden..

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 03-06-2003, 07:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jack, thank you immensely for sharing your conversion information. Once again it is this sharing of knowledge and experience that makes this hobby so rewarding. You could have kept the information to youself but you chose not to, my hats off to you sir.

Whilst studying the wiring diagram for the momentary contact switch used on the later style motors, I was thinking if there was a way that an electronic timer could be made that could be connected to a normal non-hideaway headlight "hot" when switch is on and allow current to flow to the motors for a few seconds and then terminate the current. Same when the the non-hideaway headlight switch is turned "off".

I would be more than happy to pay for such a device. I think it should be small enough to be double-sided sticky taped to the headlight swiitch body. I am not an electronics person, but am capable of soldering connections. Anyone versed with electronics that can come up with this?

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 03-06-2003, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why not fabricate a mount for 2 limit switches and have them adjustable. When you start relying on a timing device without absolute feedback your asking for trouble. This will be especially true as the motor ages and slows down or the battery voltage varies. The doors will either not go up or not go down all the way.

Ideally the bracket will position the switches at the very end of the stroke, so the motor does not back against the limit switch. Might be a rather tedious task to adjust the switches but overall I think it would be the most reliable.....john

Old 03-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ponjohn:
Why not fabricate a mount for 2 limit switches and have them adjustable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is beyond me John, have no clue exactly what limit switches are or look like. I am just beginning to get the hang of welding so need to take one step at a time. Body work, electrical, drivetrain... a whole to learn for when the bookshelf (read as my knowledge/experience) starts off as empty.

Something else I was thinking about while at work today, why not motors for F'Bird or Corvette headlights?

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 03-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was working on a circuit that uses a very small microprocessor . It was going to use both current monitoring and a backup time delay. I just could not get the cost (our cost) under $40 bucks . If I get the circuit design done, I will post it here. The part would cost you about $80.

Am also taking some more pics of some of the parts used for both older and later styles.
Jack.

Hey, if you can't make a buck off it, may as well share and share alike . Actually getting this project off my shoulders, gives us more time to finish the EFI manifold (tick, tick, tick ).

2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 03-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack Blum:
If I get the circuit design done, I will post it here. The part would cost you about $80.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jack. Sent an email to EFI server but I guess you are still having problems with mail being that it came back to me.

$80 my cost... for one to be built for me by you? Fair enough. I am in no rush being that I just acquired the hidden headlight doors and buckets to convert to a hidden system and am presently shoulder-deep into sheet metal repair. Just want to collect parts and components when I can and each time I visit a slavage yard I will keep an eye out for those Chryslers.

Say, what about my idea of F'Bird or Corvette headlight motors, would they work if Chrysler style motors cant be found?

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 03-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, thanks very much for the circuit info and the additon of more pictures.

I would guess that there would be a higher demand for the EFI setup rather than the electric conversion as it only applies to 2 years.....john

Old 03-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jack,

While searching the internet I discovered this wholeseller that sells refurbished motors for power windows and headlights. Hopefully this vendor can help you with the electric motor required for this conversion.

http://www.windowmotorstexas.com/index.html

Regards,

Larry Metzger
Columbus, NJ
1968 GTO Verdoro Green Hardtop

1969 GTO Palladium Silver Hardtop
1969 Judge Carousel Red Hardtop X 2

Someday We'll Look Back On This And It Will All Seem Funny.
From Rosilitia, Sung By Bruce Springsteen, CIRCA 1973
Old 03-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the link, I will call them on Monday and see what kind of stock they have got. I the mean time heres some more pics:

Here is a pic of the center bracket:

The later motor will use the 2 holes on the left. The smaller and larger holes. This puts the rod in almost the perfect position. But because the rod is made of srping steel,, it just bows slightly. Seems to work great.

Here is a pis of the later motor by itself:

Here is the older motor:

The older motor with required bracket:

Here are some of the types of end brackets we have found out there. The one with the flexable ball and socket wont work:

Here we have just busted the end bracket off the junkyard cover:

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection) Jax.GTO@gte.net
Motto: Build it for NASA and drive it like you stole it!

Old 03-21-2003, 02:40 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks so much Jack I`ve been wanting to do this since I saw your car in the High Performance Pontiac magazine.It said in the article that you used a LeBaron motor but I didn`t know how it worked until now.I`m going to have to hit the junkyards now.

www.cardomain.com/id/gto_guy

Old 03-22-2003, 08:09 AM
Suspended

I thought about that type of system, but I'm not even close to checking my vaccuum system yet. Thanks for making the info available!

Doug

-----------------------------
"...then grease me up woman." Groundskeeper Willie

www.geocities.com/yqtnxnb

Old 03-23-2003, 10:03 PM

Just wanted to say thank you..I received an Email from you a few days ago about not being able to get the motors to make more kits. Thanks so much for making the tech info public....I will also hit the junk yards and see if I can give it a try!..Thanks again Mike in Georgia..69 Goat!!!!!

Old 04-21-2003, 10:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to liljg

any new advances in getting this type of system in production?

Dave Whipple

Old 08-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found electric set off of a 91 fifth ave. It has the ball and socket design that you say won't work. I've only held the motor and parts up in place; but it seems to me they would work just fine. In fact the rod will have to be shortend a little to fit between the cover rods. Now I'm not a engineer so that's why I'm probley confused on why they won't work. So please enlighten me.

Glen

Still Dreaming about muscle Cars. I hope I never wake up.
http://www.geocities.com/goglinko/gtoavatar.JPG

Old 08-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That cool. The one's we found with the ball and socket had a rod that was at least 9" to short. Sounds like you found a different style. Also we found that style on Lebarrons, I guess the 5th Ave is wider, so the rod is longer. I will have to keep an eye for those. Now just make your self a plate to weld to the end peice and then bolt to you C bracket, and your set. If you want I can post the design for the plate. Jack.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection) Jack@TigerEFI.com

Old 08-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jack Blum:
...Now just make your self a plate to weld to the end peice and then bolt to you C bracket, and your set. If you want I can post the design for the plate. Jack.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I am interested. Email me if it would be easier for you, much appreciated.

Darryl

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 09-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am not avoiding you GDK_AL, the hard drive on the PC that had those drawings crashed! (can you say 'back-up..what back-up) So I am looking for an old print-out or my origonal hand drawings so I can post them here. Still looking...

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection) Jack@TigerEFI.com

Old 09-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No problem Jack, I'll get notified when you post here.

I have a couple of motors and four or five rods from LeBarons. Want to find some rods from the big New Yorker or 5th Ave though as it would seem they are longer as per a previous post.

Currently have the essentials to go either electric or stock vacuum operated and being that the front end is far into the future I am in no rush.

Darryl vice GDK_AL

1969 GTO Restoration