Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you using both kits off the line or just hitting the second stage on a timer?

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 08-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Robin,

Your dedication is what this sport is all about. You do us all proud. Now how about a pic of that engine?

www.bopengineering.com
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack
Are you using both kits off the line or just hitting the second stage on a timer?
.2 delay off the transabrake for launch on the first stage. Second stage in second gear off a shifter button has netted the 8 second passes. With more refinement and driver tuning we'll blow right past the chassis cert I have not even ran the car for a month now... too hot! September 11 is a goofy "Imports Vs. Domestics" at Speedworld with $1000 to win for street car. Imagine that, more money to race a ricer than PSCA???? What has racing come to? If it is not brutally hot I might push the systems up.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 AM
Senior Chief

great job robin!!!!!!!!! Hey lil jack this hasnt been our year! so far we had a lifter stick in my Ia 2 block we fixed that problem ,then went to test it out on the motor and blew all the teeth on the ring gear fixed that,then ran 2 passes on motor and ran great! then we made a nitrous pass and it started smoking the tires when we hit high gear and the car went sideways and hit the guard rail destroying the right side of our beutiful car so now were gonna fix that and we will be looking to come out and play again with you! We know the car is gonna run good because it went 5.30 sliding sideways in the 1/8 mile we just got to get the body work done first ! BOY WHAT YEAR THIS HAS BEEN!!!!! Joe(Pontiac)Deyton the only real OPS STREET CAR!

Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to lugnutt
Default Ross pistons

You stated that you had custom dished pistons. Did you have them made for your application (4.5 stroke and 6.7 rod)? Or, did you go with a 6.7 rod because of deck hieght? Did you end up at 0 deck? What cc head do you run? Sorry so many questions, you just described the motor I am building. Except for the rod legnth, I have 6.8 rods and 4.5 stroke crank.
I am looking into pistons for my IA2. Looks like I will end up with Ross pistons. I am now thinking of having them coated. Do you think it is a waste of money? I also heard it was a good idea to coat the combustion chambers.
I will be running a fogger with a plate.
Just curious also to what rings your runing and what gaps? Thanks in advance@! Lugnutt

Old 08-25-2005, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutt
You stated that you had custom dished pistons. Did you have them made for your application (4.5 stroke and 6.7 rod)? Or, did you go with a 6.7 rod because of deck hieght? Did you end up at 0 deck? What cc head do you run? Sorry so many questions, you just described the motor I am building. Except for the rod legnth, I have 6.8 rods and 4.5 stroke crank.
I am looking into pistons for my IA2. Looks like I will end up with Ross pistons. I am now thinking of having them coated. Do you think it is a waste of money? I also heard it was a good idea to coat the combustion chambers.
I will be running a fogger with a plate.
Just curious also to what rings your runing and what gaps? Thanks in advance@! Lugnutt
6.7, 6.8... I don't think any difference would ever be found. I did it because I wanted the ring stack down in the cylinder where the valve notch would not burn through. Piston is down the hole .005 and the heads started 72cc but we opened them up and we were in too much of a hurry to cc them???? Ross is good stuff if you order it right (tell them what you want) and I don't and won't coat anything. In my opinion the minimal gain is offset by the possibity of flaking off and causing problems (I work for Detroit Diesel, we quit coating "stuff" several years ago because we could not stop the problem), you have to finish to win! I use C&A Zero Gap 2nd rings (the ones everyone else hates and can't make seal) as I have for years gapped as recommended on the paper. Good luck with the engine, you'll enjoy it!

Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info, Robin. Looks like lugnutt and I are building the same engine (IA2, 4.5 stroke, fogger, plate) and I had the same questions.

Are you running aluminum or steel rods? How high are ya spinning it?

I love to watch the video of your 8 second run

Old 08-26-2005, 02:27 PM

Crower billet steel. 7200rpm.

The video is good. Did you hear it burble as it was coming up the track? My thumb slipped off the button. Yep! Coulda been faster....

Old 08-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Robin, Give Steve Barcak a call, he said he was trying to get a hold of ya!!

Old 08-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Hi Robin,
Good talking with you today. You have done a great thing for all Real fans of Pontiac power with your accomplishments. Congrats! You may not realize it but, you and people like you are the ones influencing people outside the Pontiac world towards considering using Pontiac power in fast applications as well as Pontiac people too. All us Pontiac guys feel so proud to see a Pontiac powered Pontiac do so well in a highly visible event.
I wonder how many people outside the Pontiac hobby who go to the drags and see some of the bigger names and legends in the Pontiac world who run chevy power and think " well if these big name Pontiac guys are running chevy power there must be a reson not to run a real Pontiac".
Then they see you go out there and run in the PGDs and run damm good with a REAL Pontiac!! Yes, you are promoting the use and interest of Real Pontiac power. God Bless you!
Thank you for that. Thank you for your support and sponsorship of Pontiac Heaven/Musclecar Heaven in '05 and in April '06 too!
We will set up some sort of challenge to any street Pontiac for Saturday and Any street anything on Sunday too.
I already can't wait! It is gonna be a good time for sure. I wonder how much faster you can get that car by then? Hmmm. I am sure you will not be resting on your laurels! If you ever need any other parts and if I can help you in any way, just ask.
Steve Barcak www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 09-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to LeMans70Sport

Congradulations Robin. Way to represent! After reading Hot Rod's coverage of the event, the thing that struck me was the fact that the owners of the #1 and #3 finishers had drivers for their cars. How streetable is that? I think that is more B.S. than allowing wheelie bars IMO. I also find it intresting that neither Robin or any comments made by the participants posting on Hot Rod's forum have called them out on that. To me that's a bigger violation of the street theme than allowing wheelie bars which I also agree should be banned next year. I hope Hot Rod changes the rules so you have to drive what you build and own.