Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 PM

as an fyi the mounts are available from carquest and napa pretty cheap.

good news on the numbers, that's always a good thing to be able to say.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Mike thanks for the tip on the mounts.
I am just taking every thing from my old GP so far. The water pump I had that I put on failed today. Oh well just out the time on it. I did the tune up and found the firing order was off and now the car starts with a flick of the key and runs strong. I did not drive it with the pump leaking and can't wait to take it out now.
I have to start switching the interior over as I am not sitting very long in the car and tired up getting the springs poking me. Pat

Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 AM

Thumbs up

Pat, congrats on your new find! After seeing the earlier photos of your rust problems, I felt that another car would be your best option. My old GP conv. had issues also. That was another reason i decidecd to asell mine, I just did'nt know where to start.

Sure looks like you have a great start.

While you are on the subject of working on interiors, are you still interested in the die-cast instrument panel I have for you? If so, let me know and I'll try to make arrangements with someone (or you!) from Milwaukee area that will be coming to Norwalk.

Joe

Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 AM

I'm looking for the inner grills for my front bumper if your looking to part with them.
and good luck with the newer car!
thanks,

john-

Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM

guys take the parts inquiries to pm or pat can list them in the want ads. we catch a lot of grief over letting f/s ads stand in the tech forums.

thanks, mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Like Mike stated, feel free to PM me for parts. I am going to be posting them as I get them of the old car and make sure I don't need them. Right now I am enjoying driving the car a bit. I have not driven a Pontiac in years and I didn't realize how much I missed it.

I got the motor mounts done over the weekend and most of the electrical sorted out. Just a few minor problems, but nothing I am worried about. I should have done this years ago. I just have to remember the old 14 inch wheels are just to easy to spin and I have been doing to much of that the last week.

Thanks Pat

Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up NEW GP..............

Hi Pat,

I am glad that you have your new GP back on the road, and that you are enjoying driving it while you restore it.

Les

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Went to the Tri-Power Nats for the first time, can't believe it took me this long to go. Incredible show!! There were 3 68 Grand Prixes in the show, and a 68 GP drag car that ran in the 11s.
Richard Goe's 11,000 mile Verdoro Green 428 4spd GP was there, as was a Red 428 4spd, and a Springmist Green 400 AT. The drag GP was Blue with a tattered Black vinyl top, was tubbed, and ran without the hood and trunk lid. I will have pics as soon as my brother e-mails them to me, and ill post them.
Not trying to hijack your thread Pat, I just thought it was a good place to mention this.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe you found a use for the old GP, Full out drag car?

Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pat's NEW 68 GP

Hey Pat,

What's new on the GP project? Any pics yet?

Les

Old 08-26-2007, 06:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Les, I have just been driving the car trying to get it running good. I have to take it in for a smog test and she is still getting some dirt out of the tank. I am on my second filter and it is not as bad as the first one was at this time. Once the smog test is done then I can get going on all the fun stuff. Just want to get the plates on it then I no longer have to worry about that. Pat

Old 08-26-2007, 11:41 PM

so do you have any more pics yet? you those are the IMPORTANT THINGS! lol.

glad to hear you're making progress.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well wish me luck. When I get off early enough to get to the Emissions test station with the car I am going to take it in. Seems I forgot about the hide-a-way lights using vacuum and had a leak. Now that that is disconnected it runs good again. I also had a problem with the vacuum valve on the carb. I just took it off and will deal with it all after this test. I hope it gets a passing grade.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well the old girl passed the test. Now I don't have to worry about time restraints when I start on a project with her. I better get to a project as the day is still young. Pat

Old 09-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up GP progress..................

These old cars are amazing; after 40 yrs. of neglect and multiple owners, just tune them up, install some new rubber parts, and they still run and even pass most state inspections.

Nice going Pat; you are now in for a new experience: DRIVING a 68 GP .

Les

Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have been feeling like I am 16 again with this car. Had a guy stop and talk to me at the gas station and tell me how much he liked the car. Just think it looks ok now, but when I get it done I am going to have to have a rag around just to wipe the drool off. And that will be just from me.
More to come later,
Pat

Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Well I got to doing some work on the car. I started taking that dash out of the old car so I can get to replacing that into the new one. I also took the a/c parts out of the new one so I can get them repaired and put it all together.

Today was nice so I sanded the roof down and put some rust converter on it. The window channels look nice except for two rusted out spots in the rear. One is about 2 inches long on the bottom and the other is about half way up the window on the other side about an inch long. I am looking at my options to repair the rusted out spots on the top of the roof so I can get some paint on the roof. One bad thing is I cracked the windshield trying not to bend the chrome. Good thing I have a spare laying around in a box.

The other week I scored at the recycling yard a nice set of hubcaps and a bracket for the a/c under the hood.

I am not going to get much done on it this winter as the old GP is going to need to be torn down so I get the space to get the new one in the garage. Pat

Old 10-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I am taking advantage of the long weekend I have this week and patching the roof. I will add some pictures tomorrow. I got one side done today and it is turning out great. I ground out the rust spots which left the roof tingy. then I used usc all-metal and spread it in the holes. This is a aluminum type body filler that is strong. It is able to be taped also. I did some searching on the net and found others with the same problem and they were using this stuff. Tomorrow brings finishing the other side of the roof. I also have to rob the front brakes off the old car and install them on the new one so I can get some more seat time in this thing. Pat

Old 10-20-2007, 11:24 PM

glad to hear you're making progress.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up Roof ruffed in

I am very happy with this usc all-metal. As you can see there was some good spots rotted on this roof. I just hit the area with a pick and found all the week spots. Then I took a little grinding bit on the die grinder and ground until good metal was found. Then taped the area with a hammer to ding it in a bit around the holes. After cleaning it all up I filled the holes with some tape so the usc all-metal would not fall on to the headliner. Left some room so I could get it to stick around the metal. I spread it on one way then the other and then went over it with another spreader. I got to do some sanding and put another coat on but already that roof feels much stronger. I don't want to mess with the roof and have it ting so I hope this does the trick. I will do more next weekend an hope to get it painted. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 039sm.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	108672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 041sm.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	108673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 045sm.JPG
Views:	52