Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it that there isn't enough money to be made at a track? Or is it you don't want to comply with the safety measures enforced by the tracks?
Or is it the thrill of possibly killing yourself or someone else on some desolate road the edge you don't feel at the track?
To each their own until someone gets burned.....

Old 09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My street racing days ended back in Memphis late 1989. I ran a few people in the early 90's just for fun. I haven't raced anyone on the street since.

In Memphis, the Police got serious, it was almost as bad if they caught you "Watching" the racers! When the spectators started getting hit with huge fines the crowds definitely thinned out.

I've not witnessed a "fatality" but I have seen a 1969 Chevelle loose it near the finishline on the street when the car hit a telephone pole ejecting the driver like rocket! Chipper didn't die, but did get knocked out and we pulled shards of glass out of his back for a week!

It was fun back then but I've grown out of it now @39. I just don't want to chance loosing my car or owing a bunch of fines. I think it is "Dangerous" but people jump out of airplanes too! Don't endanger innocent bystanders and have fun. JD

Old 09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
Is it that there isn't enough money to be made at a track? Or is it you don't want to comply with the safety measures enforced by the tracks?
Or is it the thrill of possibly killing yourself or someone else on some desolate road the edge you don't feel at the track?
To each their own until someone gets burned.....
well, honestly, there is way more money to be made on the street. we have a weekend of racing coming up here in a month or so, that the winner will take home about $10k, second will get $1k, and third will get entry fee back. all in four or five races. we have about 5 weekends like this a year. tell me where any of yall can win money like that at a track? safety measure-about 80% of the cars out there are certified to 8.50, some certified faster, or if not, atleast a cage. we mandate drivers to wear belts and helmet. like yall said, to each your own.

also, another thing, I HATE BRACKET RACING!!! lol yes, its fun to go race at test n tune, but gets old. just more thrill on the street. and the track we have around our area, sucks!!! a $65k truck burned to the ground in the spring cause their water truck didnt work or something like that. the track is dangerous on the big end. its pretty slippery.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 80s we had the best of both around here.One of the local street racers around here was a track racer and had the keys to Samoa Drag Strip.So before cruising around here was against the law, at midnight or so we would all end up at the drag strip for a night of racing.Run after run,the good ol days.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BrandX, Very nice a$$ whoopin. Your car sounds awesome.
There's no comparison to the adrenaline rush of street racing. Wait, I mean, I think there's no comparison. Nope, never done it. Not while I was in high school, or even a few years ago at the Route 66 in San Bernardino. Nope, not me. It wasn't me. And I beat a Camaro. But wait, That was probably a dream.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well, there is alot more money on the street, but if i told you i did it for money, id be a liar. I cant race my car heads up at the track against anyone in any class.

1. there is no heads up classes around here unless you have a rich daddy and your **** runs in the 7s on stock suspension.

2. I HATE BRACKET RACING.

3. the track here sucks, no fun things to do and it dont hook for chit. Also the "medics" at our local track, i wouldnt want working on my dog.

4. I HATE BRACKET RACING.

5. We do it very safe and have even slowed all the racing down around here to 1/8th mile just because of safety. The trap speeds are getting just to fast.

If i could run heads up at the track in a cool class man i would be all for it. But as of right now, funds wont allow a 106 mm turbo and a 10.5 mustang to put it in. So i will just keep pounding the streets with ma big bad poncho. I like the way you guys get on here and bash me for street racing but in the same sentence you say "to each his own blah blah blah".....If you dont like street racing than go to the track, i wont get on one of your track threads and tell you how much i dont like racing at the track.......To each his own.....lol...

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Ventura II
In Memphis, the Police got serious, it was almost as bad if they caught you "Watching" the racers! When the spectators started getting hit with huge fines the crowds definitely thinned out.
Thats the way it is here...........even if your just a spectator at a street race you are screwed. For the most part spectators get the same punishment as the racer, except they usually wont take your car if you are a spectator. Points on your license or revocation of license and some hefty fines, possibly community service.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You hate bracket racing because your car is inconsistent and you can't cut a light?
You forgot the until someone gets burned. I hope it's not you...

Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Chief

i hate bracket racing cause you are racing consistancy, and not someone else. i like to race to see who is faster, than who is more consistant. its all good though. i still support all of drag racing, just do not like bracket racing

Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

im only 26 and at this point in my life it does not interest me. I am all about heads up right now. Maybe later on i will learn to like it but right now, just not my thing. But you wont find me in the bracket racing threads bashing on anyone. As long as you are having fun with your pontiac its all good.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 09-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Who's bashing?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Suspended

BrandX, Keep whipping those chevies!! That vid was some of the most fun I've seen in awhile.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We just had a street racing bust here at the local Race Spot....My friend Emailed me and ask "Why did we not know about this race" My reply was ...Well my car has been unbeaten by any of the locals, and they need a chance to win some too :0
But we mostly have only 12 second cars...altho I did beat a 10 second car 2 times by default...both times something messed up on his car LOL.
They have been street racing in our Spot since the road in that area recieved real pavement, or so I have been told by many of hte Old timer's here most in their 70's so I could believe it....This recent bust consisted of 3 arrests, and about 8-10 tickets....over 50 folks were in attendance....we think they just did it because its coming up election time for new sherrif I think. But last weekend the guys were out doing it again...Oh its on a desolite stretch of roadway with no houses for over 2 miles LOL
I love it.
I like the track also, but I never bracket race, just Test and tune, as I am there to see how fast I can go, have seen too many stock type cars win the trophies....Ie..Honda civics, chevy trucks, etc....Its too hard to be that consistant in the street class, competing against computers that shift the same every time and always do everything the same...only variable it driver Reaction time, and I can usually out tree most of the young wipper snappers in that new car momma and daddy got them. But its still fun to send them home...I just hate running them down on the other end and having to get on the brakes to keep from breaking out LOL.
Mike

Old 09-30-2007, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

Street racing is alive and well in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I know it has it's pros and cons, yet you can't beat the feeling of adrenaline after a run!! As a member and the president of the Grand Rapids Street Racers Association, I will say that we have some areas around the city that we run at and at 2-4am, it doesn't seem to be a problem. There is an industrial area that is used often and some desolate parts of the highway. These are places that a family of six or pretty much anyone doesn't really go at these hours of the night. Places chosen for safety of innocent bystanders and spectators. Law enforcement knows about our spots and will do a drive-by to cool the action down when it gets going past say maybe 6 or seven runs. We all seem to know or know of one another and have not had too much bad happen-yet. Besides, for me it's fun showing all the chevy guys that pontiacs DON'T run like they're tied to a tree. We currently have over 40 members and ET's from the low sevens to the high 12's which is the cap. Most of the cars run high 10's to mid 11's. I'm in that catagory and am looking forward to the TRACK this week-end (finally test n tune and grudge) to see what it'll really do as it's fresh and starting to loosen up. If I can get it to hook, my goal is to get "trailered" as I refuse to cage this car. I'm sorting out this drive train, and am currently looking for a Lemans to cage and not grimmace at the thought of other mods all in the quest of speed. This car has the hide a ways, full interior and has not been modified in a way that cannot be returned to stock in a week-end. When it came down to ordering the solid roller, I told Jeff(Kauffman) the flow specs on the E-heads, weight, gear ratio, manual steering and brakes and is only driven late Saturday night.....not a street car, a city car....We both had a chuckle...... Just think back in the day of when your car was made or just a few years old.... and what times were like then. I believe that street racing is down in numbers compared to the past and the local law seems to go after the fart cans instead of the muscle.... I'm on the fence..... The track will always be safer. I only enjoy heads up with a hand drop(think PINKS- All Out) and yet you can't beat just poking a gear every once in a while on the way home from the store and spilling the gallon of milk along the way!!! Here Chevy, Chevy... Nice video by the way. I do respect bracket racing and the consistency thing and yes, the last light I cut at the track was a .004....Mike

Old 09-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Suspended

I gotta quit watching that video!! Or else the vega's getting lights and somewhat of an exhaust put on it!

Old 09-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Senior Chief

just to let ya know, we will be postin a vid from this past weekend from out of town. all i can say, is WOW!!! i firmly believe, i witnessed the fastest street raced cars in the country in 1/8 mile.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it will be a little while for the video but here are some teaser pics

[/quote]

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

That dude spraying the VHT looks like the one dude that has been on Pinks a few times.

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 10-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Petersen
That dude spraying the VHT looks like the one dude that has been on Pinks a few times.
hes prolly goin to hate me for this, but brandx, is big chief from pinks with the sbc mustang from okc. the WOT 405 group. I am in that group as well. we won the wooley mamouth and the honda

Old 10-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty joe
hes prolly goin to hate me for this, but brandx, is big chief from pinks with the sbc mustang from okc. the WOT 405 group. I am in that group as well. we won the wooley mamouth and the honda
Sweet!

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!