View Poll Results: Hideaways. Which do you prefer and why?
Hideaways headlights. 72 78.26%
Standard headlights. 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
WELCOME.

Johnny, when you have a valid opinion or something to add, NEVER be afraid to share it.
I agree, I found out everyone's opinion is valued, and everyone has something to add.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

David J.

Thanks for the welcome .... and btw ... great sig. Man ...way too many times now "ten years have got behind me" without me getting started on the things I wanted to do. Song gets too deep to talk about here

JohnnyB

Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
WELCOME.

Johnny, when you have a valid opinion or something to add, NEVER be afraid to share it.
Well said.

The entire hideaway set up is only 11-lbs? Doors, lines canister and all?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat Racer View Post
I'm partial to both.
Nice comparison picture. Are those '68-'69 hybrids or are the '69 grill bars painted dark? Can't tell.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Nice comparison picture. Are those '68-'69 hybrids or are the '69 grill bars painted dark? Can't tell.
Both cars are '69 GTO.
I bought the car on the right in '91. It had a ("built, for its day") YS 400 with Ram Air IV heads, 3x2's, 400 turbo with a Hurst stick & rod shifter & a 12 bolt posi with 4.56 gears & lots of chrome on the engine. I believe it was a hidden headlight car originally as it had the wiring harness (vacumn hose). Could be wrong. There were several xtra grilles in the trunk all 68 stuff so we used what we had.
My son and I made a "race car" out of it, but I couldn't win with it so I sold it to him, for a song. What are sons for?
Then in '04 I bought the 69 on the left, and started winning more races.
I still have the title to both cars, so technically I own them both,
Shhhhh

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
The entire hideaway set up is only 11-lbs? Doors, lines canister and all?
No, it only weighed 11 MORE than the open setup. Remember the open setup used cast bezels that offset the weight of the doors, which are tin covered by plastic. The headlamp mounting bracket is larger on the open setu as well. The actuators were only a couple-three pounds each and the cannister weighs the same as an empty coffee can... less than a pound!

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They both look great Old Goat Racer. Love hearing those father and Son stories. My Dad is the one who got me into GTO's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
No, it only weighed 11 MORE than the open setup. Remember the open setup used cast bezels that offset the weight of the doors, which are tin covered by plastic. The headlamp mounting bracket is larger on the open setu as well. The actuators were only a couple-three pounds each and the cannister weighs the same as an empty coffee can... less than a pound!
Oh. That makes sense. The weight really wasn't a big concern for me. Just never liked the look of hidaways. And didn't want the complexity in favor of a very low optioned car. I like to keep things simple.

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s
Old 01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Chief

Here's a vintage comparison picture. This shot was taken when the cars were new. The green car belonged to a friend of mine. The red car was a friend of his.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstyearta View Post
Here's a vintage comparison picture. This shot was taken when the cars were new. The green car belonged to a friend of mine. The red car was a friend of his.

Looks like some "2 lane blacktop" action.

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=GRX;4523547]They both look great Old Goat Racer. Love hearing those father and Son stories. My Dad is the one who got me into GTO's.

Thanks. My Grandson will be 13 soon & he already has his own 69 GTO, with hideaways.

Everybody knows somthin.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
David J.

Thanks for the welcome .... and btw ... great sig. Man ...way too many times now "ten years have got behind me" without me getting started on the things I wanted to do. Song gets too deep to talk about here

JohnnyB
Sitting down with any Pink Floyd and reading the words as you listen is a great way to be told a story.

THE greatest group of all time, IMHO.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM

I like the standard look better than the hideaways, I like the way the headlight bezel looks and it ties into the grill better. I may be partial thou.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1980.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	271080  

Old 01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hideaways for sure!!!!

I like the clean look of the 68's better, but the 69's look great too. Heck, I even like the hideaways on the Camaro, the 69 version being my favorite.

That's not including all the cars with pop-ups.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Chief

Hideaways for me. One of the reason's I sold all three of my 70's I had at the time to get my dream car. A '69 GTO. Was a standard headlamp car when I bought it. Now? Completely worth changing over. Some people at my local cruise in spot tell me I have a nice Judge. Without the stripes. You see(I have been told) that ONLY Judge's have hideaways....And Hood tach's....Ugh....If I only had a nickel for every time... Mike

Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have heard things like that myself Mike. Misinformation abounds when it comes to GTO's. Years ago there was a '70 cruising around here. A 'Pontiac' emblem on one grill, 'GTO' on the other. Owner insisted all the Ram Air cars came that way. Well my '70 Ram Air car didn't.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hideaways were the reason I bought my first 68 GTO.
Really nice blacked out...Except I keep getting "hey nice Charger".

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I prefer exposed headlamps. Hideaways remind me of a Gran Prix, too luxury looking! Exposed is a more agresive muscle-car look. I'm going to actually remove a perfectly good working set from my convertible if I can ever find the time! Scott

Old 01-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Blum View Post
Hideaways were the reason I bought my first 68 GTO.
Really nice blacked out...Except I keep getting "hey nice Charger".
Great looking car Jack. Always preferred the '69 except for the lack of wing windows. Nice Charger huh? Reminds me of when I would drive my '69 olds Cutlass F-85. Used to get "Nice Chevelle" comments all the time.

1969 GTO hard top ~ Std bore 400, '70-RA3 block, 670 heads, Bal. & Blue... M22, 12-bolt w/3:55s
Old 01-18-2012, 06:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like fixed headlights with certain body colors and hideaways with other colors. For example, hideaways work real well with the CR patern judges. JMO

Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hideaways on a cruiser, and Fixed on a racer. I think that they should have been eliminated hideaways as an option on RA IV cars just like A/C.