THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM

I intended for this to be an introduction thread... I didn't mean for it to morph into another d&c discussion, as there appear to be numerous already... mods feel free to move into the 70-72 gto section if necessary.

The original car to be used was an auto (the owner built it for himself as a keeper in the late 80's) but the crew wanted another car too, a 4 speed. He bought a second gto (true 242 car) from a used car lot in Austin -- he and his sons cloned it to match the other car and delivered it (I think 28 days later?). It was damaged some during filming (both cars were). Most of the actors couldn't drive a stick and after a month of shooting it was strapped to a trailer and used for most of the dialogue/interior scenes. They have different interior mirrors and steering wheels; also you can see the different outside mirror on widescreen versions of the film. It was definitely used (exterior scene) when they peeled out from the gas station. It also appears to be a mixture of both cars (exterior scenes) when they're throwing trashcans. Looks like they did multiple passes with both cars and morphed the two together when editing.
If it was a parked close-up or normal slow driving scene it was more than likely the other car.

The movie was filmed in 1992, I bought it in the summer of 97 (August 97 Hemmings I believe)... I have very limited knowledge of its whereabouts after it was sold in 93. The guy I bought it from (2nd owner after it was used) just moved - he bought it from a guy who bought it from the gentleman that built them for the movie. At this point most of the documentation was in storage due to a move... he was supposed to mail them when he got settled but we lost touch... With the limited remaining documentation and certain quirks unique to this car you could still positively id it as the 2nd car -- plus the internet was still in its infancy and the info on 2 cars being used wasn't yet common knowledge. It still had the 400 in it when used for the movie, no idea where it is now...

Fast forward 16 years: I found the gentleman that built the cars for the movie; I sent him pics and the vin # -- he verified that it was, in fact the 2nd car and made me a new (very thorough) documentation book from his archives! Definitely a stand up guy; he's very knowledgeable on numerous classic cars. I'm on the road now, I don't have my notes with me but he provided a lot of the cars for the movie -- close to a dozen if I remember correctly? He and his son were extra's for numerous scenes throughout the movie as well.

I have no idea where any of the other cars are. I've read posts stating that the other car was on ebay several years ago but the links are obviously dead. Is the owner of that car a member here? Anyone save pics of it from the last time it was for sale?

Last edited by Chastings; 01-11-2014 at 02:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chastings For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome Chastings. Great car!
Only now Aerosmith's 'Sweet Emotion' is going to be in my head the rest of the day....lol

Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chastings, great car and great story. I'm here to plead to you to not change the driveline and to keep it a real vintage Pontiac. Simply bolting on a set of bigger chamber heads will cure your pinging problem. Worked for me! Good luck with it and enjoy it.....glad to see that you drive it on long hauls.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does your car have blue door jams? Hopefully yours isn't the one used in this scene. That door hits the hinge stops pretty hard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjN-PLW521s&t=1m27s

Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM

Unfortunately that one was mine. It was actually pepper green -- they had little time to get it ready and the jambs were never painted. If you zoom you can see that the stunt driver was wearing shorts too! I'm sure it was hard on the door -- not sure if it required repairs or not. I did put in new door pins on that side back in 2009...

Last edited by Chastings; 01-11-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Great car, Great story. Welcome to PY You are hooked now.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastings View Post
Unfortunately that one was mine. It was actually pepper green -- they had little time to get it ready and the jambs were never painted. If you zoom you can see that the stunt driver was wearing shorts too! I'm sure it was hard on the door -- not sure if it required repairs or not. I did put in new door pins on that side back in 2009...
Noticed the Hurst Dual Gate also...but yours is the 4 spd, correct?

Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Correct... They're sitting in the other car idling.... when they slam the shifter they used the triple black 68 seen at the top notch. Then they switch again back to mine when they show the car peel out.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said in the other thread,I know for a fact that two GTO's were used,having lived in Austin on & off for most my adult life (since say '84-'85 on),I know more than a few people that were there while they were filming the movie,and I had another close friend that actually had his '70 superbird in the movie as well (the scene @ top notch in the back row,it was black then,but now it's back to it's original B5 blue).

Just a matter of poor timing that I was'nt living there during that time period.

One of my other close friends that was there watching the filming also owns a true '70 RAIII Judge (starlight black) so of course he was all over those pontiacs when he saw them,he told me about them in detail,never got the VIN numbers or such,but most all said so far supports what I know about all that,one auto one four speed,and one car for close-ups and another for action shots,yadda,yadda,yadda.

And my friend with the judge,his brother was an extra in the movie as well (RIP Erick).

Only car I dont really remember hearing much about was the T/A "Clint" drove.

And Wooderson's melba-toast was one bad MO-FO,saw it @ little river a few times after I moved back down there.

So yeah,absolutely zero doubt in my mind that two GTO's were used.

And the movie,IMO it's a pretty close accounting of the time/place it represents,I could tell all sorts of stories about cruising Austin in classis muscle cars just looking to party and raise he!!,albeit about 5 (or so) years later than the film is supposed to represent.

Think early Metallica era instead of the peak Aerosmith era.

FWIW

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

The Following User Says Thank You to screamingchief For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastings View Post
when they slam the shifter they used the triple black 68 seen at the top notch.
I'm going to have to watch that movie again as I completely missed a '68 in the film.

As for how it was 'back then'...I graduated HS in '76...same as the class depicted in the film and I would say it's pretty close to teen life in the day.
The only exception would be all that crap about chasing 'freshmen' all over the place and putting them through the ringer. Not where I was anyway.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the forums Chastings!
It's good to hear the car is still around & hope to see it at some of the area shows.

I recently bought a DVD of Dazed & Confused at the local resale shop & watched it that night......it was definately a blast from the past!

Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Senior Chief

Cool story Chastings! Thank you for sharing some details. I do remember when the car was up for sale as I read the ad in Hemmings. I really considered it at the time yet I didn't have the funds. Glad you got it and it sounds like it has a good home. Welcome to the forums! Mike

Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Welcome to PY, nice car!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to PY. Great car and movie! Thanks for the backstory

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the site. Cool car and cool story.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 01-12-2014, 01:05 PM

Guys, thanks for the compliments -- wasn't sure what to expect. I read several threads pertaining to the other car (or claims of 2 cars) prior to posting and half expected to get flamed.... It's a neat car with intrinsic value and a cool history; and while I certainly appreciate the "dazed" aspect, the car is more than that to me. I've always loved the 1970 gto's and am proud to be part of the group.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by Chastings; 01-12-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-12-2014, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool car and story. Welcome!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Friend of mine found that car. It had been sitting awhile. I got it running for him. Had a gas can under the hood with a hose to fuel pump. It had Eldorado Custom Stock tires on it, boy could they smoke. Filled the trunk with smoke, it was coming out of every hole in the back of the car for about fifteen minutes. He sold it to the guy who built it for the movie.
Did brake work on the stunt double for the black truck.
The Maverick at the end of the film belongs to a friend of mine. He still has it.
I almost had my 72 Ranchero in the film, but would of had to put period correct wheels on it. Plus it was my daily driver at the time.

Last edited by tomnt; 01-12-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: left out word
The Following User Says Thank You to tomnt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the best Pontiac forum on the net-PERIOD! I was born and raised over in High Point and have lots of family in Forsyth County. That's cool that such an iconic car is in the Piedmont.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I love that car! I remember when the car was for sale. At the time I was freaking out because I thought it was pretty cheap, but I was a broke college student. Glad to have you here.

"Don, give the beer back man"