Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 PM

1964 9770716 head pictures and info: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=636024

Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Certainly HeliCoils can be used. However why have 2 threads when 1 is all you need? If the Heli fails, and they do, then you have junk for heads. Heli coils are a last resort for thread repair that can allow the stud to move or rock. The hole left by removing the press in stud is actually a perfect pilot hole for the 1/2-20 thread of the ARP or Isky studs. I also recommend the correct thread cutting fluid for cast iron. A nice tight hole is what you want for the threaded studs and the fluid helps get you there. Torque the stud to around 55 to 60 ft lbs and with a little lock-tite, you have a very neat, permanent factory-like install without having to worry about Heli threads rocking around the clock.

Old 08-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thought I was out of the woods. Logged a few miles today with nary a tick. Ran pretty well once warmed up. Then, when I went to pull it into the garage it started to tick the light fantastic. So either I have another one ticking or the same one has pulled out again.