Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
just as the others have described, here are some pictures of the oil filter set up with long branch manifolds. it uses the adapter/spacer that I posted a link to earlier. the big car spacer is thicker than the F body.
I didnt realize it was block, I thought it was an entirely different housing, good info.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I think some one is pulling your leg on the 120 deg. oil filter adapter. Think about it. If it was agnlge into the engine `120 deg'. it would pe almost pointing right at the engine block. If it was the other way out away from the block 120 deg's it would look as though it was pointing at the frame at that angle. What your in need of is the long branch oil filter adapter , which you can get from our host or Year One , or any of the others for around $ 50.00 or so. It tilts the oil filter back at 35 deg. angle so it holds the oil filter at roughly the same angle as the long branch manifolds . But as far as the 120 deg. angled oil filter adapter you may want to tell the preson who told you that they are full of coc-ca.

How would you explain this?

Old 09-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Adapter plate setup

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
How would you explain this?

Exactly. That shows the angle. What he needs to change is the clocking (or tilting) from 180 to approx 220 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angle.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	376856  

Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the factory used the 90* housing with the adapter to tilt it back away from the manifold. I believe if you tried to use the 120* housing with the adapter, it would now have an interference problem with the trans.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What application was that 120 degree filter adaptor for anyway? You would need a very short filter to mount that on any kind of motor.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
What application was that 120 degree filter adaptor for anyway? You would need a very short filter to mount that on any kind of motor.
It was used on pretty much every A-body V8 car, full size filter works fine.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 PM

Waiting for the adapter to show up tomorrow, hope it works it's going to clock the filter. If not the ill return all the stuff and go with a stock exhaust manifold.... Hope it works.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Ok, got it done and here's the answer. if putting Long Branch Exhaust manifolds on a 67 firebird with a 400 and TH 400 trans all you need is the Adapter ( I got mine from Butler Pergormance) and you use the 90 degree STOCK oil filter housing, do not buy the angle one as you will be wasting money like I did and will now try to sell it. The Adapter kicks the oil filter back toward the transmission and clearence is good. I installed the engine in the car Sunday and it all looks good with the exception of the starter being very close (3/8ths of an inch) to the manifold so I put a heat shield on it.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates