Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^ this.

He's 16, and his appetite is bigger than his stomach.

I hope he has plenty of $$$ and a spare daily driver.

I don't like to do high dollar builds. My current 400 build has a Voodoo cam, similar numbers to the 2802. It has 47 heads, completely redone. All new rockers, pushrods, intake, etc. I am easily 4K or more into the drivetrain, and haven't touched the rear end yet. And all of this is in a car that looks like an unpolished turd.

400 is PLENTY of engine to put the kid in the poor house, in jail, or in the boneyard.

If it was me, I'd:

1. Scale back on the "who's is bigger" contest with the ricer crowd,
2. Make it a fun and comfortable driver,
3. Get good grades for a bright future,
4. Utilize awesome car as a foot in the door to dating many amazing young ladies.

Chicks don't dig loud obnoxious cars that rattle the fillings out of their teeth. They don't want the smell of gas overpowering the smell of their Katy Perry perfume, and they don't want to mess up their hair getting their head bounced off a window in a high G turn.

I smile. Give the kid a few months, and having a nice stereo will mean more to him.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ha Ha I used to get my passenger's attention going down the road and giving the steering wheel a quick 1/4 turn then back and bink their head off the window in my 70 Formula wakes em up fast

Old 08-17-2016, 11:47 AM

Sixteen and speed. Makes me cringe. I was there once myself though. Hopefully has a good head on his shoulders. RACE AT THE TRACK ONLY!

With that being said, remembering only making $5.00 an hour as a mechanics helper at 16 and only getting in four hours a day, I would be looking for the most bang for my buck.

I would take compression readings on all of my cylinders for a baseline. No need to waste money on a worn engine. I would listen for odd bottom end sounds and make sure I always had good oil pressure and watched what kind of oil consumption I was having. If that all checked out, I would then invest Cliff's Q-jet book. I am assuming that it has the 6X8 heads 101cc chambers. I would keep them to keep cost down, do a valve job, and replace the seals. Use the summit 2801 cam kit, modify Qjet accordingly to a mild performance recipe, and see what happens. If he still wants more source a set of 6X4's and then use a .027 head gasket for compression, put a 3.08 ring and pinion in it.

As long as he remembers that, "A man has got to know his limitations" he should have a lot of fun with the car.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't be too concerned about the EGR intake if it saves a few bucks. Have run well into the 11's at 118+ with one in a 6x headed pump gas 455 at 1850 kg (76 TA).
Biggest gain for buck I am guessing would be a set of early heads with new hardware and a Jim Hand style porting session to get the comp up, one of the factory style cams under 041, good timing chain, stock intake with a few mods (spacer if room) and a recurve of the HE I and a good Qjet (later core on the engine should be workable).
All assuming basic short block checks out OK.
Can you find a bolt in diff locally. Mine 76 came out with a 3.23 posi, might be cheaper than re gearing the existing different. Set of Cal Tracs and sticky tyres on spare steel rims for the track where he takes on the ricers :-)

Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hook him into racing at the track..just the way the car is now...Slowly make changes one part at a time..My son's car which is my old car runs high 13's with a stock 400 with untouched 6 x 4 heads headers,2.5 inch exhaust 3000 stall and 3.42 gears...has mid 13 potential just the way it is.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471