Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-06-2019, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have run Bill Miller Mgp and GRP
Last 10 years nothing but GRP.
I took GRPs out of the motor in December that had 180 passes on them beatings still looked perfect.

Unless bill miler has changed things the GRP also has nicer alignment design on the cap.

Mat it! Spray it! Chute it! Just another 8 Second Pass!
Old 01-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIV-Z View Post
Told by who?
I've never used a heater in NH and off idle is fine, just don't beat the crap out of it until it warms up. The car is only driven in nice weather. I do start the Camaro up once in awhile over the winter and only drove it once in 2018. The RAIV engine has only been out of the car once for a refresh since the early 90's.

BME rods and bearings looked great. I was going to send them back to BME to have them checked. Talked to Bill Miller, his comment was that "Those rods don't know they have been out of the box" at that power level.

Ed
Who ? Dan Whittmore. Its cold in Wisconsin. He was never a big fan of them. Did a straight up steel to aluminum rod swap for a customer. Everything as much as possible the same. I know you have to do things different piston/deck. Car did not ET any better. In fact lost slightly in the 60 foot. Was that slight loss made up in the ET being equal, maybe.
He was not a fan of customers having to take special precautions with aluminum rods. For old school engines like he did they were of little use. He was all about putting a Crower billet in, as long as he could fit and go racing.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Suspended

Had steel ......have aluminum..... aluminum rods are much better on bearings with forced induction. Stated my car in 40 degree temps no problem....just warm up before you wing it!

GTO George

Old 01-06-2019, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Had steel ......have aluminum..... aluminum rods are much better on bearings with forced induction. Stated my car in 40 degree temps no problem....just warm up before you wing it!

GTO George
I am sure that is all true in your case. Mr. Molnar the guy who designed that Oliver rod you had told me he has had a customers 2000HP NO2 BBC come back with perfect rod bearings too.
Also told me Oliver is not what they used to be. Quality is all over the place. Said the last trade show he went to Oliver put little effort into their space. Table with a few boxes of rods.
I can see why racers use aluminum rods. More forgiving, just have to worry more about warm ups and cycles.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GRP all day, every day

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
Old 01-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
I am sure that is all true in your case. Mr. Molnar the guy who designed that Oliver rod you had told me he has had a customers 2000HP NO2 BBC come back with perfect rod bearings too.
Also told me Oliver is not what they used to be. Quality is all over the place. Said the last trade show he went to Oliver put little effort into their space. Table with a few boxes of rods.
I can see why racers use aluminum rods. More forgiving, just have to worry more about warm ups and cycles.
Kind of funny how the guy that’s trying to sell you his steel rods (he doesn’t have aluminum rods) is saying his stuff is better, ok gotcha! LOL!

GTO George

Old 01-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
I have run Bill Miller Mgp and GRP
Last 10 years nothing but GRP.
I took GRPs out of the motor in December that had 180 passes on them beatings still looked perfect.

Unless bill miler has changed things the GRP also has nicer alignment design on the cap.
BME has been using the swirly serrations to align the cap and rod for 5-6 years now. Bill himself is a no-nonsense guy. He admits this design is slightly easier to assemble but offers no other advantage if the rod is properly torqued. If you use 2 sets of feeler gauges to align them during assembly, no issues. Currently running 5 swirly serrated rods and 3 with straight serrations.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Kind of funny how the guy that’s trying to sell you his steel rods (he doesn’t have aluminum rods) is saying his stuff is better, ok gotcha! LOL!

GTO George
Come on George. I was getting a whole education on steel cranks and rods. The guy took a hour out of his day twice just to talk to me. Me buying one set of rods meant nothing to him. He was happy I was interested.
Plenty of Pro Stock teams run steel these days. Leech ran them, Marcella likes them. Plenty of smart people use steel. I get it why aluminum has their fans.

I have had conversations with Bill Miller also. Nice guy, learned a lot. He told me for the power I want to run his rods would last a VERY long time. Gave me a education on those too.
Want to say something negative about him also ? And yes he wants to sell product. Its the American way.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Come on George. I was getting a whole education on steel cranks and rods. The guy took a hour out of his day twice just to talk to me. Me buying one set of rods meant nothing to him. He was happy I was interested.
Plenty of Pro Stock teams run steel these days. Leech ran them, Marcella likes them. Plenty of smart people use steel. I get it why aluminum has their fans.

I have had conversations with Bill Miller also. Nice guy, learned a lot. He told me for the power I want to run his rods would last a VERY long time. Gave me a education on those too.
Want to say something negative about him also ? And yes he wants to sell product. Its the American way.
I wanna sell you a bridge! LOL!
.......besides I said PA engines!

GTO George

Last edited by GTOGEORGE; 01-06-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We were talking to Bill Miller at PRI about some possible piston changes and tuning changes. He invited us to the back of his booth and pulled up data from his TF engine for fuel flow, blower, torque curve etc. Then he says "tell me what you see when I come back" and went to talk to another customer for a few minutes. Bill is pretty no-nonsense.....talk about pressure!

Apologies for getting a little off topic for a fun story. I guess the point is to say that Bill has been a huge help to our program.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 01-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can someone shed some light on the topic that G R P's company changed hands sometime in the middle of 2017?
At least that's what I heard.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.82@159.91 in Joliet May 2024 ….157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 01-08-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post
Can someone shed some light on the topic that G R P's company changed hands sometime in the middle of 2017?
At least that's what I heard.
yes, i believe there was a split between the owners and that was the start of MGP rods.