THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Senior Chief

Good points on having a test stand versus Dyno usage. Either path is ok but its the end goal of really knowing what’s screwed together works and no surprises happen. Buddy of mine used his for yrs and I must admit nice to get the engine up to temp and do any adjustments needed on your schedule not in a dyno cell.
My last build went to a dyno and my builder insisted on it . I also wanted to see the power results etc and try out different rocker and intake combos. It’s eye opening when small changes have instant real results. Cost me 500 bucks (Canadian) or 199.99 us funds..haha for a full 8 hrs . The session for me was worth every penny but it depends again what a individual is trying to do.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Any engine shop worth its salt has a dyno.
Only engine dyno near me wants $500 to run an engine, even then it's tough to get scheduled in since they build a lot of race engines. Unless you've built a full tilt race engine that needs every HP tuned out of it, a dyno run is not worth it.

A test stand would be nice, been meaning to build one for some time. I designed one using CAD that folds up like an engine hoist for storage. Just need a "round to it"
I average about one engine a year, rarely have an issue but the few times I did it'd have been nice not to have to pull it back out.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:53 AM
Senior Chief

I have a run stand and use it from time to time. So nice to be able to sort the engine out before it goes in the car. Very handy. Once the engine goes in the car, you have the piece of mind it will be fine. My neighbors don't mind open headers, so theres that too.

Should you decide to build one yourself, make sure the engine hoist can get around it well enough to put the engine on the stand! Mine is on casters and I had to put spacers above the casters so that the hoist would go underneath.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 05-01-2019, 11:38 AM

Many years ago in my youth, I built an engine for a relative and it leaked an incredible amount or oil. I changed the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket but it still leaked oil so I had to pull the engine out of the car to find out what the problem was and due to my negligence, I forgot to install the rear cam plug. Since that day, any engine that I build, I test run it on a stand to check for any fluid leaks. Speeding $400 on a test stand could be a lot cheaper than spending the time to pull the engine back out of the car to rectify any problems.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:06 PM

This works for me. Build the engine on the stand, test run and tune it. No need for a radiator. It works fine with a garden hose using these fittings. The removable instrument panel has an ignition and starter switch. The three gallon fuel tank gives enough gas for a "break in" period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Test stand 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	511390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test stand 2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	511391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test stand 6.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	511392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Test stand 8.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	511393  

Old 05-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My nearest engine Dyno wants 500 for 3 pulls. That’s just unrealistic to me. My machinist will not let the engine leave until it is run in on his stand and leak tested. I have no carburetor so I am using his but I had to supply my own distributor.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Senior Chief

Wow 500 for 3 pulls....that’s ridiculous. Most I know of always charge for a 3 hr minimum. And I’m surprised because it takes time to hook everything up. That guy wouldn’t last very long around here.
I’m actually chatting with couple guys about building one ...will be used by all of us if needed. I can fabricate it and have it of a universal design. So many advantages to running something beforehand. Dyno sessions are not just for Hp/Tq readings. Other very valuable data is available also. As as I mentioned in my other post , its up to the guy what he wants to do and of course spending money if so be.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupeute View Post
This works for me. Build the engine on the stand, test run and tune it. No need for a radiator. It works fine with a garden hose using these fittings. The removable instrument panel has an ignition and starter switch. The three gallon fuel tank gives enough gas for a "break in" period.
Does your run in stand, angle the engine to allow the carb to sit level???

How much for such a stand???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-02-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Built for Convenience of working in the Garage away from Mosquitos.

I'm just finishing up building one, I'm in the process of rebuilding a new engine for my driver, (engine had been sitting since the mid 70's) the engine from the driver will go on it while I attempt to diagnose the mysterious 1500RPM miss (with 3 different carburetors, points, converted points and hei distributor didn't solve the problem). Then I'll be using it to verify the engine I"m pulling from my parts car is operational. (that one will end up in a square body s-10) I found a set of photos on the web and used some steel pieces I had laying around, It should fold up to a 6" deep assembly when I'm done so I can just stick it in storage without taking up a lot of space.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I checked into Dynos in my area a few years ago when building my Buick Engine, I was quoted a $500 minimum for hook-up and one-hr of run time. $150 per hour for time after that with minimum 30 min. increments....

Old 05-02-2019, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bottom line is ... a dyno is a VERY expensive test stand ... and a test stand is a very poor dyno.

Two completely different things with completely different purposes.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the two guys I checked on local are 600-700 for a full day.The time it takes to put one on and off eats up a couple hours of that day.Joe was 600 for the day as I remember and he had the engine on when I got there and I would pick it up the next day.He did not want me around while he was doing the setup.Tom