Old 07-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully no one would use a dial indicator by cycling the crank and trying to decide where the highest position would be on a piston. I use a dial indicator on a bridge all the time by going .050" before and .050" after TDC and splitting the difference - which is the same procedure as a piston stop but a little less barbaric. When using a crank socket and degree wheel I prefer to come up on the measurements in the same direction since there is slop in the crank socket keyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05407.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	516058  

Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Why don't you get a car first before crap comes out of your keyboard.
For crying out loud... more typical nonsense from Chief.

How about you TRY to answer the OP's question instead of spouting off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I am sure you realize that there can be up to 4 degrees in crank rotation back and forth before the cam moves. More as the chain wears. There is also several degrees of crank rotation back and forth between crank, rod and piston. Hitting true TDC is obtained when all parts are tight. Any backing off at all will not give you true TDC and can be off 2 degrees or more when you mark the balancer. I was taught this by 2 big name racers. One had the best damn garage in town.
Indeed it is true that there can be several degrees of crank rotation before the cam moves, but this has NOTHING to do with what the OP is asking. No one gives a rip here about valve train timing in relation to the crank position, or even if TDC is accurate. I am sure YOU realize that valve timing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the mark on the balancer? As 24217 correctly pointed out to you, the balancer can only go on one way, and it doesn't give a rip where the valve train is postioned. That simply has to do with the cam & crank keys, the timing chain, and its installation and stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetrucks View Post
I understand the 68 timing mark tab is further out to accommodate the larger 68 balancer, but thought my smaller 67 balancer would still show the timing marks in the same general area.

Now when I check the timing, my 67 balancer timing marks are WAY off. Do I need a bigger 68 balancer or did I do something wrong when I removed/reinstalled my 67 balancer after installing the 68 timing cover?

GTO runs great, just wanted to check the timing and can't now because it's so far off the 68 timing tab.

Thanks!
Hi IndeTrucks. If your timing mark seems way off compared to before, as others have mentioned, it likely has to do with the way you are viewing the balancer mark against the timing cover. I assume you are reusing the same balancer as before, only the timing cover changed, correct? If so, nothing should have changed. Your timing will be in exactly the same spot as it was before the timing cover change, unless you moved the distributor.

Hope that helps.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 07-19-2019, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
For crying out loud... more typical nonsense from Chief.

How about you TRY to answer the OP's question instead of spouting off?

Indeed it is true that there can be several degrees of crank rotation before the cam moves, but this has NOTHING to do with what the OP is asking. No one gives a rip here about valve train timing in relation to the crank position, or even if TDC is accurate. I am sure YOU realize that valve timing has absolutely NOTHING to do with the mark on the balancer? As 24217 correctly pointed out to you, the balancer can only go on one way, and it doesn't give a rip where the valve train is postioned. That simply has to do with the cam & crank keys, the timing chain, and its installation and stretch.

Hi IndeTrucks. If your timing mark seems way off compared to before, as others have mentioned, it likely has to do with the way you are viewing the balancer mark against the timing cover. I assume you are reusing the same balancer as before, only the timing cover changed, correct? If so, nothing should have changed. Your timing will be in exactly the same spot as it was before the timing cover change, unless you moved the distributor.

Hope that helps.
LOL! Oh yeah that's right. This is PY and people the likes of you run rampant here. BTW: The OP got more help from me than the mucking up you and a guy with no car just did to the OP's thread. Carry on. LMAO

Old 07-19-2019, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only person who runs rampant here is YOU Chief. Been doing it way to long. Another time out should be on the way for you.