THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I really don't care for the show, or others like it. I appreciate that most of the world doesn't care about the technical end of it and like the show based on the "drama". Just like the latest batch of "home improvement" shows, the drama ruins it for me. There needs to be a car based show similar to some of the older This Old House shows.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I like Bitchin Rides. They throw a minor laugh in , here and there, mostly just working on cars. Those guys are talented!!!

The Fantom show would also be better without the owner opening his big yapper...I noticed almost none of the original mechanics/cast is on the show any more...They had a guy named Walt that was the metal worker, seemed like he did a great job. Makes me wonder what happened??? Did they ALL quit or was Dan stupid enough to fire them. There's a bunch of young guys on there now. They seem to do good work also...BUT You don'rt see as many mechanics in the back ground doing stuff, the shop seems quiet...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They stopped filming Fantomworks several years ago, so it's just reruns now.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

I like the show Pure Vision, I think it is called. Steve Strope does great work and it does not have all of the drama. He does very tasteful and very subtle car mods. I have liked the cars he has done for a number of years and I was glad he finally had a show. It does not have a lot of drama but more technical detail.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I like the show Pure Vision, I think it is called. Steve Strope does great work and it does not have all of the drama. He does very tasteful and very subtle car mods. I have liked the cars he has done for a number of years and I was glad he finally had a show. It does not have a lot of drama but more technical detail.
And the guy is color-blind. Good show, nice builds.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to get irritated at Mark Worman, but I've warmed up to him. I love the show, and would appreciate a Pontiac oriented show that was similar. Mark has the energy and lack of restraint I had when I was 8 years old playing with my slot cars. He clearly LOVES what he does, and the cars they produce are a damn good product. I watch every episode.
Top Gear, especially the old American version, makes me change the channel right away. That show totally sucks.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:13 PM

Graveyard is a good show....what happened to the show TRANS AM?
Two brothers out of Florida that restored Trans am....just went off the air.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71TA View Post
Another one that was unwatchable

Old 06-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I actually like the show. I love Mopars. If I did not have a Pontiac, I would have a 1970 RoadRunner with a 440 6 pak. I don't mind Mark, he reminds me of a friend of mine. I enjoy the detail and the knowledge I get from the show. The only non GM cars I have had have been Mopars.
this is almost exactly what i would've wrote, feel the same way. (Plymouth's are 6BBL )

Old 06-23-2020, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I really don't care for the show, or others like it. I appreciate that most of the world doesn't care about the technical end of it and like the show based on the "drama". Just like the latest batch of "home improvement" shows, the drama ruins it for me. There needs to be a car based show similar to some of the older This Old House shows.
I've thought about doing a youtube channel like that, calling it "This 'ol Pontiac"

if there were just more hours in the day.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My dad had a '69 Belvedere in Sea Foam Green. It was glassy smooth all over no orange peel. I waxed and washed it many times.
It was always garaged but driven year round in Pennsylvania. It did rust behind the back wheels but no where else. Worman's antics do get tiresome: I would rather look at the the cars. What do you expect out of a 9th grade dropout? That's what he said he was.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I like Bitchin Rides. They throw a minor laugh in , here and there, mostly just working on cars. Those guys are talented!!!

The Fantom show would also be better without the owner opening his big yapper...I noticed almost none of the original mechanics/cast is on the show any more...They had a guy named Walt that was the metal worker, seemed like he did a great job. Makes me wonder what happened??? Did they ALL quit or was Dan stupid enough to fire them. There's a bunch of young guys on there now. They seem to do good work also...BUT You don'rt see as many mechanics in the back ground doing stuff, the shop seems quiet...
The shop foreman needs to go.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 06-24-2020, 12:42 PM

Love Mopars, can't stand Mark Worman.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL71TA View Post
I was just thinking about that show.

I think they had a good opportunity to make a great show, but it unfortunately didn't work out that way.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 06-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
The shop foreman needs to go.
Yeah...he's like Beavis and Butthead, rolled into one...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 06-25-2020, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that the problem with most shows is the network idiots have grossly misinterpreted what the viewing audience wants. Remember what an ass Boyd Coddington was on his show. The following takeoff shows thought the key to success was the conflict. Graveyard cars was close to unwatchable for me for the first season or two, and then they migrated away from the heavy fighting. Now old Mark just acts crazy and his antics are harmless and more of an inside joke to the crew and audience.

Bitchin Rides and Graveyard cars probably have the least amount of crisis on their weekly shows and all we can do is hope the networks wake up and realize we enjoy the car content and not every show injected with garbage they think will increase ratings. Shows like Engine Power have their own problems because they are more of an infomercial selling parts.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Suspended

I think all the drama crap started with American Chopper (aka. Orange County Choppers) which pre-dates Coddington's show, American Hot Rod.

Old 06-25-2020, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Pure Vision is very good, for the lack of drama!!! They farm out work, that must drive up the price incredibly!!! Although they DO perform some of the work, they have a few talented mechanics.

The Pontiac "A" body they built, was good, but nowhere great. The front bumper and front panel installation and gaps looked like some high school kids in shop class, pulled that one off!!!

It's really hard to beat ANY of the Overhaul'n shows. Chip Foose did things right. Noe if others would just COPY his way of doing things, many of these shows would be better!!! It's fitting that the last Overhaul'n show was the build of a 78 black Trans AM. That thing was a RUST bucket!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 06-25-2020, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
I've thought about doing a youtube channel like that, calling it "This 'ol Pontiac"

if there were just more hours in the day.
If I lived a little closer, I'd help out!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 06-25-2020, 08:01 PM
Suspended

So far the new reboot of Overhaulin is a bit disappointing. So far they have done a newer Vette, newer Challenger, newer Camaro and a Subaru WRX that I simply couldn't watch. I sure hope they get back to their roots.