Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-30-2022, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are correct it states 197

Another goof on numbers ! Sorry, senility setting in again.

We test all new springs with a calibrated Rimac machine before installing them.
Also somewhat related, many would be surprised how often and how much pressure springs can lose after run in.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 01-03-2023, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
You can tune a lot of that out and with the EFI and timing control it's much easier to get it there.

You'll likely need more timing than you have in the light load cells in the rpm range you want to cruise at. A little extra fuel in that area as well. Will take some time to find what works best for that particular engine.

For example, light load at 1700 rpm might be something like 40-45 KPA at cruise. That area may need as much as 45-48 degrees or so. Think of it as vacuum advance added in that area and it tapers off as KPA increases (more throttle input, vacuum drops) This helps smooth the engine/cam, makes more vacuum at cruise and tends to be happier at the lower rpm cruise areas.

Fuel comes into play a bit as well but I like to start with timing first. With some work, you can have a fast car with quite a bit of cam in it and make it very docile to drive on the street everywhere all the time.
Not to get off of the OP's subject but I will have to look at my timing table. I never ran the sniper table and started with a conservative table that I built myself. I had the opportunity to look at a table from another guy with a similar combo and his timing was far more aggressive than mine so I flashed by learn table to the computer then increased the initial by 3 degrees, total by 2 and made the curve a bit steeper.

I did a few short WOT runs and the car is a bit harder to crank now and I think I am picking up some detonation but otherwise seems better. I put the car way before doing any dataloging or cruising in OD so that stuff will have to wait till next season.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula8 View Post
Not to get off of the OP's subject but I will have to look at my timing table. I never ran the sniper table and started with a conservative table that I built myself. I had the opportunity to look at a table from another guy with a similar combo and his timing was far more aggressive than mine so I flashed by learn table to the computer then increased the initial by 3 degrees, total by 2 and made the curve a bit steeper.

I did a few short WOT runs and the car is a bit harder to crank now and I think I am picking up some detonation but otherwise seems better. I put the car way before doing any dataloging or cruising in OD so that stuff will have to wait till next season.
Maybe when you're ready, you can zip your tune file and a quick data log and post it in the EFI section and we'll see if we can help with the tune and maybe smooth some things out.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE