Old 11-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by takid455 View Post
Anyone know of a recent 12k mile 73 SD 4 spd sale in MN or WI?
Nope, missed it. I wonder if it's green...

Old 11-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, but there is or was a white one in Minnesota that used to be in Wisconsin. The guy that has it owns just white cars. Not sure if this is the car or not???

Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Senior Chief

I have posted in the wanted section but someone may be able to help. I am looking for an SD 455 Distributor date coded for a 73. Would like it to be complete.
Maybe someone here may ne able to help me.
Michael.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Super Duty runs 12's

I wanted to share an excellent experience I had with my SD TA. Three years ago I took the car to the track hoping to get a 13 second time slip. The car was mostly stock with the exception of 1.65 rockers, exhaust and carb/dist.tuning. I ran 13.9@100 mph and was quite happy. Then the racer in me kept thinking about a project Cars Magazine did back in '74 trying to get an SD to run 12's, and I wondered if I could accomplish this using a different approach. Since I had a spare SD block laying around, and enough parts to assemble another engine, I decided to see what could be done. I ordered a set of trick custom flat top pistons from CP, rebuilt a set of rods using ARP bolts, had the crank nitrated and the rotating assembly balanced. I just did the standard performance blueprinting prep to the block. I spent a lot of time on the flow bench testing different valves and valve seat combinations. The heads were milled .060 and an HFT cam was designed to match the flow characteristics of the heads, and hopefully accomplish my goals. I never touched the heads with a grinder, nor did I port match or modify them in any way. Other than an efficient valve job and milling, they are stock. I used a '72 455 HO intake manifold that I gasket matched, and I ported the exhaust manifolds.
I figured I would need to update the chassis a bit, so I clamped the rear springs and installed a set of performance shocks in the rear. I believe my front shocks are original. When I scaled the car, it weighed 4100 lbs without the driver. I figured I needed to remove a little weight, so in addition to the aluminum intake, I removed the spare tire and jack assembly, installed the thinner fender to core support braces and painted up a set of Rally wheels I could use at the track instead of the heavy honeycombs. The car still weighs over 4300 lbs. with the driver.
I got my chance to race the car at a local track this past May. I was very happy when I got the time slip and saw that I ran 12.7. I made four runs and didn't get a chance to try and dial-in the combination. I ran three 12.7s and a 12.8 all at 107 mph.
Super Duty 455's are the best!
I've attached two video links of my runs that day.

http://youtu.be/7SvcXv8YvEE

http://youtu.be/iT9oOBH6JRU

Last edited by PAUL K; 11-17-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SD POWER RULES !!!

One thing that really wakes up the SD heads is a bigger cam.
Try a roller cam and it will fly!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
SD POWER RULES !!!

One thing that really wakes up the SD heads is a bigger cam.
Try a roller cam and it will fly!

Yes, you are correct. I ran well into the 9's with a roller cam SD 455:

http://youtu.be/0f7edXFN2XY

Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I wanted to share an excellent experience I had with my SD TA. Three years ago I took the car to the track hoping to get a 13 second time slip. The car was mostly stock with the exception of 1.65 rockers, exhaust and carb/dist.tuning. I ran 13.9@100 mph and was quite happy. Then the racer in me kept thinking about a project Cars Magazine did back in '74 trying to get an SD to run 12's, and I wondered if I could accomplish this using a different approach. Since I had a spare SD block laying around, and enough parts to assemble another engine, I decided to see what could be done. I ordered a set of trick custom flat top pistons from CP, rebuilt a set of rods using ARP bolts, had the crank nitrated and the rotating assembly balanced. I just did the standard performance blueprinting prep to the block. I spent a lot of time on the flow bench testing different valves and valve seat combinations. The heads were milled .060 and an HFT cam was designed to match the flow characteristics of the heads, and hopefully accomplish my goals. I never touched the heads with a grinder, nor did I port match or modify them in any way. Other than an efficient valve job and milling, they are stock. I used a '72 455 HO intake manifold that I gasket matched, and I ported the exhaust manifolds.
I figured I would need to update the chassis a bit, so I clamped the rear springs and installed a set of performance shocks in the rear. I believe my front shocks are original. When I scaled the car, it weighed 4100 lbs without the driver. I figured I needed to remove a little weight, so in addition to the aluminum intake, I removed the spare tire and jack assembly, installed the thinner fender to core support braces and painted up a set of Rally wheels I could use at the track instead of the heavy honeycombs. The car still weighs over 4300 lbs. with the driver.
I got my chance to race the car at a local track this past May. I was very happy when I got the time slip and saw that I ran 12.7. I made four runs and didn't get a chance to try and dial-in the combination. I ran three 12.7s and a 12.8 all at 107 mph.
Super Duty 455's are the best!
I've attached two video links of my runs that day.

http://youtu.be/7SvcXv8YvEE

http://youtu.be/iT9oOBH6JRU
Nice! i ran mine about 200 pounds lighter than yours, headers, solid cam, holley street dominator intake and hoosier qt pros at about 22 psi (used to drive to the track and home on them) hit consistent 12.4s at 108 with the 3.42 gearing and a lot of fun getting it to hook. Best ever was a 12.04. Would one day like to start racing it again with 3.08s out back and a set of street tires with me to take the drag radials where they need to be pressure wise and maybe crack a high 11 out of it.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird2 View Post
Nice! i ran mine about 200 pounds lighter than yours, headers, solid cam, holley street dominator intake and hoosier qt pros at about 22 psi (used to drive to the track and home on them) hit consistent 12.4s at 108 with the 3.42 gearing and a lot of fun getting it to hook. Best ever was a 12.04. Would one day like to start racing it again with 3.08s out back and a set of street tires with me to take the drag radials where they need to be pressure wise and maybe crack a high 11 out of it.
That's cool! Do you still have the same car? The new drag radials work great and really don't wear out very fast...atleast compared to the QTPs!

Last edited by PAUL K; 11-17-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, can't part with it, even though at the present time (and for the past 15 years LOL) I don't have the $s to do the final paint and interior work it needs. Sitting in ugly old primer with front seats splitting at all the piping. First race runs I did with it were with stock intake/carb, headers and a mild solid cam. other than the heads/intake being port matched, all else is stock, 1.5 ratio on the rockers (still haven't gone to 1.65) At that time, with 15 year old Goodyear Eagle GTs mounted on turbo T/A wheels i got a 13.1s down to 12.8s out of it and some really hairy runs with the old tires busting loose at each shift point (auto). The QTs i have are just as old nowadays. She's sitting with a bent collector flange that got crushed 2 years ago. Fixed it this summer, but i have to still have to triple the gaskets to stop it from leaking.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Similar prep as Paul K.......my old '73 4speed SD clone ran high 12's @ 108 with just the addition of the H-O racing camshaft....HC-63, along with optimized tuning, 3:90 rear gears and McCreary G-60's.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Larry, don't you wish you still had it??

Old 11-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Yes, you are correct. I ran well into the 9's with a roller cam SD 455:

http://youtu.be/0f7edXFN2XY
Awesome - if Pontiac had the SD-455 In 1970 with high compression etc. it would have ruled

Old 11-19-2014, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Navarro View Post
Similar prep as Paul K.......my old '73 4speed SD clone ran high 12's @ 108 with just the addition of the H-O racing camshaft....HC-63, along with optimized tuning, 3:90 rear gears and McCreary G-60's.
Larry, my brother ran an HC-63 in his cars years ago. That is one wicked sounding cam! I couldn't have made that work with a 3:08 gear and stock converter, but with 3.90's and a 4 speed ...look out! I was considering using the smaller HC-62 cam, but thought it could do a little bit better with the combination I had to work with. You gotta love those guys from H-O Racing Specialties!

Old 11-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle View Post
Awesome - if Pontiac had the SD-455 In 1970 with high compression etc. it would have ruled

Thank you; I agree with your comment. It kinda makes you pity the guys with Ram Air IV's

Old 11-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

+ The 70 LS6's - Hemi's etc. would be seeing the SD's tail lights a lot too - By the way Paul - Great Facebook page

Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle View Post
+ The 70 LS6's - Hemi's etc. would be seeing the SD's tail lights a lot too - By the way Paul - Great Facebook page
X 2 ......and thank you for taking the time to look at my FB page.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Who has the most miles on a never opened up SD455? Who has the most miles on an SD car? You always hear about low mileage SD's.... But never high mileage ones... Just curious.....

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Given that the odometers only went up to 99,999 I'm always dubious about mileage claims on any older car --- unless they're 100 ercent time warp survivor with original paint, interior etc. I've got about 135,000 on mine, of which i put about 5,000 on the clock. At the time I got it, there was nothing to stop me from claiming the 29,xxx it showed. Hell, it could have 235,000 on it for all I know ....

Old 11-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One of mine had 84,000 and ran perfectly. It would still run low 14's in the quarter.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird455 View Post
Larry, don't you wish you still had it??
oh hell yeah!!!....sold that car back in '96.
that car was such a sleeper.....all stock-appearing under the hood with that nasty exhaust note. Alot of folks figured the car was overcammed for the street.......I got the last laugh on that one with unsuspecting chevy guys. That car spanked a lot of ass on the street.