Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good looking car agree with you on the rake we used to achieve it back in the old broke days with air shocks but then the higher the better lol my 69 vert had clearance between the wheel well and top of tire now I look at it and scratch my head but hey was only 17 years old man wish I had that one back. My 66 sits a hair higher been putting off the tweaking left side about 1/2 lower in the rear. To hot now will get back to it this winter.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks67GTO View Post

GT182 The dash is actually the stock 45 year old stuff. I haven't replaced the plastic or the woodgrain
Wow! You are lucky it's still the original and in great condition. If you hadn't said so I'd still be thinking it was replaced.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful!!!!

Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Car looks great Nick, great color combo, perfect stance and nice wheel choice.

On the spoiler, I think you'd end up dragging it right off the car the first time you drove it after the install. Even on a car that's still at stock ride height you'd ruin it pretty quickly.

No matter how careful you are you're going to end up destroying it pretty quickly. It's a very nice product but unfortunately not the least bit practical being made out of steel.

I would rethink your power steering cooler mounting location, right under the core support is a very vulnerable spot.
I took some measurements. Its 8.5" to the bottom of the core support and 10.5" to the bottom of the bumper. How much front end road clearance is needed in my situation?

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Nick is a super nice guy. Nick's car drives every bit as well as it looks. The GTO seats are nice and comfortable with lots of leg room, the stereo sounded good, the car felt solid and the ride was comfortable. Felt more like a modern ride then a 48 year old car. The car get two thumbs up in my book.
Thanks Ryan. You're the first "car guy" that's ever ridden in it to be honest so that means a lot. Again it was a pleasure meeting you and the family.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
Old 05-25-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
I took some measurements. Its 8.5" to the bottom of the core support and 10.5" to the bottom of the bumper. How much front end road clearance is needed in my situation?
I don't know if you're ever seen pictures of my '64 Tempest when it had the all-iron 455 in it with 17" wheels, lowered maybe 1-1/2" all around. Really not sitting any lower than your car, running some fairly heavy-rate H-O Racing front springs.

Anyways I had no problem scraping the bottom of the front bumper a couple of times if I didn't slow to a crawl going up or down some of the steeper driveway entries.

From the looks of that spoiler I'd have to guess you'd be losing roughly 2.5" of clearance. So your 10.5" at the bumper now becomes 8". Once you sit inside the car or add passengers even less than that.

If it was made of rubber, not steel you might get by with it.

Either way, if you do go for it (a very nice looking part by the way) you will always be thinking about it whenever you negotiate a driveway or any big dip in the road at speed.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What brand speakers did you go with where did you mount them ? if you don't mind me asking.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last few weeks iv'e gotten a few more things done....

-I finished up my Vintage Air. Its great to have a functional AC/Heat/Blower system back in the car. It was a huge PITA to be honest but I'm glad I did it. The heat is hot and the AC is ice cold!

-If you notice the 4 SS screws in the fender in picture 2. That's where I mounted the electric coolant valve and then I doubled back on the coolant hose to the rear of the car as seen in picture 1.

-In pictures 3,4,5&6 you'll see I used VA's lines but cleaned up the suggested install. I tried to keep the install as clean as possible without flopping stuff everywhere. You will also notice an aluminum bracket I bought off Ebay to mount the dryer. It was about 13 bucks and looks a world better than the strap VA gives you. I also need to do a quick scuff and shoot on the dryer its mounting. It got scratched up pretty good with all the tinkering around.

-I also relocated a new radiator overflow can to under the passenger side fenderwell. Although the canister is sideways I don't see any sort of issue with this and it's out of the way of everything. Its also running downhill so it should be easily drained. Worst case is that I have to unbolt the canister and drain it. That would take all of 5 minutes where its at.

- Build Thread
Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966geeto View Post
What brand speakers did you go with where did you mount them ? if you don't mind me asking.
2 6x9's on the rear and 2 6" speakers in the kick panels using the custom autosound kick panels. The speakers are Memphis Audio speakers.

- Build Thread
Old 06-05-2015, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks great always nice to have a/c this time of year. Hood hinges are nice to looking at some for my 66 but need to save up just got new seat foam and cover ouch.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966geeto View Post
Looks great always nice to have a/c this time of year. Hood hinges are nice to looking at some for my 66 but need to save up just got new seat foam and cover ouch.
If you go for the Eddie Motorsports hinges, Matt's Classic Bowties had the best price, by far.

- Build Thread
Old 06-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
I don't know if you're ever seen pictures of my '64 Tempest when it had the all-iron 455 in it with 17" wheels, lowered maybe 1-1/2" all around. Really not sitting any lower than your car, running some fairly heavy-rate H-O Racing front springs.

Anyways I had no problem scraping the bottom of the front bumper a couple of times if I didn't slow to a crawl going up or down some of the steeper driveway entries.

From the looks of that spoiler I'd have to guess you'd be losing roughly 2.5" of clearance. So your 10.5" at the bumper now becomes 8". Once you sit inside the car or add passengers even less than that.

If it was made of rubber, not steel you might get by with it.

Either way, if you do go for it (a very nice looking part by the way) you will always be thinking about it whenever you negotiate a driveway or any big dip in the road at speed.

Glad I didn't buy that spoiler. Iv'e had a few instances where im pretty sure it would be torn off by now. Good call Bart.

- Build Thread
Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

VERY NICE GTO Nick, Beautiful ride!

67 Nova
64 Nova
Old 06-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Spent yesterday cleaning up my ride height and washing the old girl. Both were long overdue and we had a big local show yesterday and I have a fun cruise today. This has been a battle. My car has a nasty A body pimp lean to the driver side. From all I gather its not too unusual really. I had the same frame shop that straightened my frame out originally, look it over last week. I thought I may have warped the frame a bit when I boxed it. The results were that it was straight as an arrow and way better than anything that ever left GM. So it was time to mess with some shims. Originally I had shoved a ton of shims in there just to get the car going with the other wheels and tires. This resulted in a high ride height in the front and a car that was all over the place side to side. Anyhow this is the kind of stuff that isn't really fun to do but the end results are good I think. The nose came down 1-1.5" and the rear came down just a hair as well. With the proper shimming right to left i'm within a 1/4" in the front and maybe a 1/2" in the rear. Its unnoticeable without a tape measure from all angles. I might mess with the rear a little later on to see if I can dial it in but for all intents and purposes that's good enough. I also have a bit of rake. I think the GTO's just look a little better with a touch of rake.....

**DISCLAIMER** I am an all original GTO purist snob...

Having said that, this is the nicest looking modified 67 GTO I have ever seen. Colors, stance, everything is perfect. Great Job!

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 06-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartazoo View Post
**DISCLAIMER** I am an all original GTO purist snob...

Having said that, this is the nicest looking modified 67 GTO I have ever seen. Colors, stance, everything is perfect. Great Job!
Wow! Thanks! I'm really trying to keep it feeling like a 1967 GTO that just so happens to perform 2015. Eventually I might have a local guy recover the 06 GTO seats to look like stock 1967 GTO seats. I think that would help even more with the vintage feel.

- Build Thread
Old 06-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_barker View Post
VERY NICE GTO Nick, Beautiful ride!
Thanks Troy!

- Build Thread
Old 06-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last few weeks I did a little work. Nothing too cool but progress is progress. I added a Derale power steering cooler to the underside of the driver side fender by the front bumper. I drilled some holes in the inner fender, used rubber grommets and ran the lines through under the battery. It should get plenty of air and be protected under there. I also added a new 150 Amp alternator from http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/ I don't necessarily need it right this second but my old alternator was just that....old. This gives me room to grow with my electronic parts like EFI, electric fans and fuel pump. Install was bolt in and all I had to do was parallel another #10 wire from the alternator to the starter post.

I signed up for my first auto X next Sunday. Its a local Iowa chapter SCCA event held about 2 miles from my house. If the weather holds out i'm hoping to give it a crack! If all goes well there i'm going to make plans to hit up Goodguys in DesMoines over the weekend of the 4th of July. Is anyone else that follows this thread planning on going?

- Build Thread
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Last weekend I ended up heading to the Goodguys Heartland Nationals in DesMoines with the intention of running my first auto X. I drove the GTO down from Waterloo since its only about 2 hours on the dot and I got a solid 16.5MPG running 75-80 MPH the whole way. I was pretty pleased with that. One thing led to another and I ended up auto X'ing all day Friday and Saturday. What a great time. One of the best times iv'e had in a long while. I dropped 9 seconds off from my first lap to my best time, I didn't smash the car up or break anything and just had a blast. Mission accomplished. The weather was beautiful, I made some new friends, saw a lot of old ones from around my area and ended up finishing with a best lap of 45.5 seconds with a lot of room for improvement left....especially behind the steering wheel. The winning time in street machine was a 40.xx. I took lots of people for rides, met folks from the pro-touring board and all around just had one of the better weekends iv'e had in a good long time.....So I guess that means I'm heading up to St Paul to do it all over again for Street Machine Nationals....anyone else heading up there?

Here's a video of one of my late runs on Friday....gotta throw a shout out to my wife, she was holding my 6 month old son in one arm and taking the video with the other haha. You can hear my little girl saying go daddy go in the background too. Ahhh what a weekend. If you click the picture it takes you to the video.

Ryan Buck rode along and stuck his GoPro cam up on my vent window. This is the same run as the one above but its a car vantage point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_TpAfk1IY

Heres a few random shots from the weekend...

Look who showed up to the fun...

[URL=http://s239.photobucket.com/user/novaguy73/media/Goodguys%20DesMoines%202015/20150704_133023_zpsm3y50r1i.jpg.html]

- Build Thread
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Gorgeous GTO. Love the black top, chrome roof trim leading to the slightly raked rear...
Wheels too.
Glad your having fun resto modding that car. 67' is a beauty of a design that you made even better.
Good share. Thanks.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy View Post
Gorgeous GTO. Love the black top, chrome roof trim leading to the slightly raked rear...
Wheels too.
Glad your having fun resto modding that car. 67' is a beauty of a design that you made even better.
Good share. Thanks.
thanks vidguy!

- Build Thread