THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DeLorean was the first GM divisional president (or for that matter, any automobile manufacturing president) to be a celebrity. Lee Iacocca was famous for the Mustang, but Iacocca, like others, were the "suit and tie" generation. DeLorean was not part of the cookie cutter GM executive look. He was only 40 years old when he was appointed head of Pontiac in 1965, the youngest ever to hold such a high position at GM. As long as he kept Pontiac rolling and 3rd in sales (behind only Chevrolet and Ford), the top brass tended to look the other way. DeLorean's "long" hair, his candid interviews, his ego, and his desire to be part of elite social circles really ticked off the "old guard" at GM.

Never before had a GM executive or divisional president received so much press. Unfortunately, GM top brass didn't want GM's image to be associated with a "groovy" sort of lifestyle. It was ok to advertise and sell the image to the youth market, but not an appropriate image for president.

When DeLorean was appointed head of Chevrolet in 1969, he was supposed to be next in line for GM president. That was the path typically followed by GM presidents. You were VP of a division, then president of a division, moved over to become president of "big dog" Chevrolet, then finally president of GM.

In 1971, when DeLorean realized that GM was grooming Oldsmobile's John Beltz to be the next GM president, DeLorean was told that because of his lifestyle and his image, he would never become president of GM. When John Beltz died unexpectedly in 1972, DeLorean was stunned that he was not promoted to president of GM, so he began make other plans.

Photos like this are what drove the GM top brass crazy. Today, this attitude and image would be celebrated as unique and independent, but back in the early 1970's, GM did not want to associate the "hippy" lifestyle with top level GM management.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	John DeLorean and Kelly Harmon - 1970.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	442791  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He was guilty of "reading too many of his own press clippings".

Many earlier Car industry leaders had been media stars especially in the early days of the industry like Henry Ford, Durant, Chrysler etc but they were owners. DeLorean was an employee. He was guilty of going against the culture of his employers and paid the price.

I have great respect for his work at Pontiac but his later business career highlighted some character traits that I can never respect.

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)
Old 12-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, I agree.

Earlier presidents of the Big 3 may have been media stars, but DeLorean was the first that went against the grain of what was considered 'professional' by GM standards. For instance, a dark suit and tie were considered the mandatory dress code for GM management. But DeLorean, stoked by his own ego (and following himself in the media) began to occasionally wear sweaters at work, his hair was below his collar, his sideburns were too long. He seemed to relish being the "hippie" of GM.

It was just part of life in the 1960's. Other GM managers were battling the generation gap. DeLorean was the first that sort of bridged that gap, and in the 1960's, that made him a bit of an outcast with the suit and tie crowd.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And in fairness to senior brass at GM that had valid reasons to keep a low profile.

Congress was eying them for antitrust reasons threatening a breakup of the company and was all over them and other automakers abouts safety and emissions so it was a sound policy to act in a respectful and quiet manner rather than showing jet set excesses that would attract un wanted attention and cause lack of respect for GM in the public eye.

1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
Old 12-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
And in fairness to senior brass at GM that had valid reasons to keep a low profile.

Congress was eying them for antitrust reasons threatening a breakup of the company and was all over them and other automakers abouts safety and emissions so it was a sound policy to act in a respectful and quiet manner rather than showing jet set excesses that would attract un wanted attention and cause lack of respect for GM in the public eye.
You are referring to the very early 60's and not the early 70's when GM was taking a beating from Europe and Japan.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's amazing how badly our elected officials treated carmakers! These companies created employment for ove a million employees directly and millions more indirectly, they ran amazingly efficient operations that gave personal mobility to almost everybody at amazingly low cost while providing exceptionally generous salaries and benefits for their workers.

They were constantly demonized, threatened, badgered and regulated to death. No wonder they were gun shy!

1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
John, I agree.

Earlier presidents of the Big 3 may have been media stars, but DeLorean was the first that went against the grain of what was considered 'professional' by GM standards. For instance, a dark suit and tie were considered the mandatory dress code for GM management. But DeLorean, stoked by his own ego (and following himself in the media) began to occasionally wear sweaters at work, his hair was below his collar, his sideburns were too long. He seemed to relish being the "hippie" of GM.

It was just part of life in the 1960's. Other GM managers were battling the generation gap. DeLorean was the first that sort of bridged that gap, and in the 1960's, that made him a bit of an outcast with the suit and tie crowd.
By the late 60's the Hippies were almost gone. DeLorean certainly didn't look like a Hippie in any way. There is a huge difference between a Hippie and one of the late 60's/early 70's Jet setters generation.
Jet Setter;
http://global.ralphlauren.com/Summer...er_Hero_US.jpg
Hippie;
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...d4d8c2cb06.jpg
Give me a break. You could SMELL a Hippie a mile away!

I've seen Iacocca and even Henry Ford 2 with long hair.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using the term "hippie" liberally here. DeLorean wasn't a hippie, but GM top brass considered him a renegade, out of step with the suit and tie management. They didn't care for his ego, the media attention he received, and his extravagant lifestyle. The photo I posted above is a perfect example of why he was considered the black sheep of GM management.

I have every GM Annual Report from 1952-1989, and within each edition they have head shots of all the GM executives from around the world. Divisional presidents of the 1970-1971 time period looked like something from "Leave It To Beaver", short hair, grey at the temples, suit and tie, most had plastic framed glasses. Based on the Lawrence Welk-style look of the GM top brass in 1971, DeLorean looked like a regular on "Laugh-In".

Old 12-16-2016, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a weird one. Can anyone identify this South American built car?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	h42888d.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	442824  

Old 12-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wink

Quote:
Here's a weird one. Can anyone identify this South American built car?

Simca--- Chrysler of Brazil

Old 12-17-2016, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's it!

Not a lot of info on these cars out there. It appears the GTX was a one-year only edition in 1969?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
That's it!

Not a lot of info on these cars out there. It appears the GTX was a one-year only edition in 1969?
My favorite is a SP2, but they are so darn hard to get one in the country. I have a friend who bought one from another friend. It took some doing to get it here.
http://www.todoautos.com.pe/attachme...-sp2_gris1.jpg

Old 12-17-2016, 01:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=MikeNoun;5669977]I'm using the term "hippie" liberally here. DeLorean wasn't a hippie, but GM top brass considered him a renegade, out of step with the suit and tie management. They didn't care for his ego, the media attention he received, and his extravagant lifestyle. The photo I posted above is a perfect example of why he was considered the black sheep of GM management.

Sounds like my old boss! My old bosses bosses shipped him over here to the states to run the operation as a punishment. Little did they realize how successful we would be. However he did not look like a hippie, or a Jet Setter. Like DeLorean though, he was a renegade and a CAR MAN.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little Trans Am action.....

Seriously dude, can you give me a little room?

I believe this is what happens when you slam a tire barrier in the S turns....

Laguna Seca.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tumblr_lbkgkkESbs1qdcd2wo1_500.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	442888   Click image for larger version

Name:	roa020116dpt_go21-2.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	442889   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 SCCA Trans Am - Lauguna Seca - Sam Posey.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	442890  

Old 12-18-2016, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome shots!! Love that.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AFX-1-Lloyd-Cox.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	442932  

Old 12-19-2016, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
DeLorean was the first GM divisional president (or for that matter, any automobile manufacturing president) to be a celebrity. Lee Iacocca was famous for the Mustang, but Iacocca, like others, were the "suit and tie" generation. DeLorean was not part of the cookie cutter GM executive look. He was only 40 years old when he was appointed head of Pontiac in 1965, the youngest ever to hold such a high position at GM. As long as he kept Pontiac rolling and 3rd in sales (behind only Chevrolet and Ford), the top brass tended to look the other way. DeLorean's "long" hair, his candid interviews, his ego, and his desire to be part of elite social circles really ticked off the "old guard" at GM.

Never before had a GM executive or divisional president received so much press. Unfortunately, GM top brass didn't want GM's image to be associated with a "groovy" sort of lifestyle. It was ok to advertise and sell the image to the youth market, but not an appropriate image for president.

When DeLorean was appointed head of Chevrolet in 1969, he was supposed to be next in line for GM president. That was the path typically followed by GM presidents. You were VP of a division, then president of a division, moved over to become president of "big dog" Chevrolet, then finally president of GM.

In 1971, when DeLorean realized that GM was grooming Oldsmobile's John Beltz to be the next GM president, DeLorean was told that because of his lifestyle and his image, he would never become president of GM. When John Beltz died unexpectedly in 1972, DeLorean was stunned that he was not promoted to president of GM, so he began make other plans.

Photos like this are what drove the GM top brass crazy. Today, this attitude and image would be celebrated as unique and independent, but back in the early 1970's, GM did not want to associate the "hippy" lifestyle with top level GM management.

Sad day For Pontiac when he went over to Chevy > No factory RA V'S or the 455 RA IV for 1970 - he would have got them into production
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-JD69GP428-390HP.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	442933  

Old 12-19-2016, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wareagle View Post
Sad day For Pontiac when he went over to Chevy > No factory RA V'S or the 455 RA IV for 1970 - he would have got them into production
And how would he get all that past EPA certification? It's not him, it's the sign of the times or the reality of the new era.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
In the background, A 1962 GM something two door post.
I don't know where you got this picture but I grew up in the 70s in Quebec Province and I saw so much of this non sense! I love it !...Okeefe had some cool tv commercials back then.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Watching Christmas Vacation for the 100th time, I notice something on the shelf when the mother turns off the light switch. Yes I am bored tonight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	christmas vaction 002 (480x640).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	442935  

TOM